Totaldac Reference D1

The part that interested me most about this DAC, is the digital volume attenuation is done at 69 bits, and the reports about it being the first DAC to not benefit from a real high quality pre-amp.

I just don't need or want an anolog input, so have been waiting for a DAC digital volume to get to this level of performance.

I heard the same about the Antelope Gold and most Dacs with analog volume controls.

I heard the same about the Antelope Gold and most Dacs with analog volume controls.

DAC's with analog volume are thin on the ground, and those with high quality analog volume - not just a cheap pot and op-amps - are even thinner.
We have to be careful, because I find a direct digital DAC always sounds better than a cheap pre-amp. But compared to a high end pre? I don't have enough experience here to be honest.

Another option I came across was Steve Nugents Empirical Audio Overdrive DAC, which uses a reference voltage method of volume control, which is apparently unlike normal digital attenuation.

There are a few out there with stepped resistor ladders with no more than 2 resistors engaged at any attenuation point. Someone with a Concert Fidelity pre said that the Gold was the only Dac they ever heard that didn't need a quality preamp.

There are a few out there with stepped resistor ladders with no more than 2 resistors engaged at any attenuation point. Someone with a Concert Fidelity pre said that the Gold was the only Dac they ever heard that didn't need a quality preamp.

Thanks for the heads up. I notice Antelope also have a new high end dac with atomic clock, in what looks to be the ugliest casework of all time. The TotalDAC smokes it in this aspect....

You mean the Art Deco atomic clock Dac? Many like it and it costs $40K.
The other new Dac from them is the Platinum with the new Voltikus optional linear PSU and DSD256 capability!

Which version? Is it the dual d1? If so, you shouldn't have any trouble driving the Spectral. Still being a fan of multi bit DACs, I am sure Keith Johnson would be proud a discrete r2r ladder dac is driving his gear. :)

I know you use the BADA USB. Notwithstanding a well done USB implementation, the totaldac works best via AES, if you have a good converter. I also use the BADA USB with my totaldac over AES.

hi dallasjustice,
please, why I have to use a dual d1 to drive Spectral?
I use RCA MIT Oracle cable with very low impedence. I understood which dual d1 is better with balanced output, contrary to spectral which is better with unbalanced.
I am intrigued to compare my Berkeley Alpha DAC/USB with Playback Design or TotalDac d1.

I think spectral has a lower than normal input impedance. I wouldn't say you need the d1 dual. But I wouldn't use tubes to drive spectral.

hi dallasjustice,
please, why I have to use a dual d1 to drive Spectral?
I use RCA MIT Oracle cable with very low impedence. I understood which dual d1 is better with balanced output, contrary to spectral which is better with unbalanced.
I am intrigued to compare my Berkeley Alpha DAC/USB with Playback Design or TotalDac d1.

Last edited:
I think spectral has a lower than normal input impedance. I wouldn't say you need the d1 dual. But I wouldn't use tubes to drive spectral.

thank's. I have read which you had PD MPD-5. Please, may you describe the main difference between these two DACs? I am not interested to DSD. I mean, what's the difference in terms of soundstage, image and 3d.

I still believe the Alpha USB is a very strong engineering accomplishment. The Berkeley brought better detail to my system. The totaldac d1 digital also delivers the details. The totaldac USB converter brings something more though. There's a relaxed persona to the USB converter. Ive had quite a few digital pieces pass through and the only common thread ive found is that the better ones let you play at higher levels without feeling like the music is aggressive or harsh. That's what the totaldac d1 digital converter brings that the Berkeley couldn't deliver. I am surprised at how much of a difference it is since I previously thought the Berkeley couldn't be bettered. I was so wrong.:)

Wow!!! all that improvement?
I sent a mail to TotalDac to buy one, but they have still not replied. Currently with Berkeley Alpha DAC-Alpha USB-Oracle digital i have believed that more than this could not be possible

He will get back to you i have asked him lots of questions about his Dac and was very very helpful.

He will get back to you i have asked him lots of questions about his Dac and was very very helpful.

thank's.
Yes he was very kindly and responded me. I have on order a D1 single. I do not use balanced output for Spectral and I do not need the improved USB of dual (I will use Berkeley Alpha USB). Vincent gives the possibility to test it. I will see the direct comparison with BADA.

Did you see Vincent's Integral? Pretty cool product. All in one DAC and server with remote interface.
http://www.totaldac.com/D1-integral-eng.htm

thank's.
Yes he was very kindly and responded me. I have on order a D1 single. I do not use balanced output for Spectral and I do not need the improved USB of dual (I will use Berkeley Alpha USB). Vincent gives the possibility to test it. I will see the direct comparison with BADA.

Did you see Vincent's Integral? Pretty cool product. All in one DAC and server with remote interface.
http://www.totaldac.com/D1-integral-eng.htm

yes, Thank's I have seen it, but I prefer manage files using Mac Mini and PureMusic app. First of all, I need to test D1 vs my Berkeley Alpha DAC-USB stack. Then if I will be satisfied I will progress through the Reclock (which I think is the main improvement).
Do you use MIT Oracle MA-X IC?, is it the XLR balanced version?

Not anymore it's all MGaudio cables for me now. I still like the the MIT oracle ma-x AES cables though.

yes, Thank's I have seen it, but I prefer manage files using Mac Mini and PureMusic app. First of all, I need to test D1 vs my Berkeley Alpha DAC-USB stack. Then if I will be satisfied I will progress through the Reclock (which I think is the main improvement).
Do you use MIT Oracle MA-X IC?, is it the XLR balanced version?

Not anymore it's all MGaudio cables for me now. I still like the the MIT oracle ma-x AES cables though.

Waiting for arriving my D1; I have read which you use to drive directly the power amplifier without Pre. This is the configuration suggested by Berkeley too, but in my system the addition of Pre (Spectral DMC 15) gives more detail and air between instruments. Did you test your D1 with and without Pre?

Oh yes I did! In your case, Elberoth may be even more authoritative than I.

I don't want to spoil the fun for you. :)

Waiting for arriving my D1; I have read which you use to drive directly the power amplifier without Pre. This is the configuration suggested by Berkeley too, but in my system the addition of Pre (Spectral DMC 15) gives more detail and air between instruments. Did you test your D1 with and without Pre?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing