Totaldac Reference D1

Iamrael

Nov 3, 2017
Hi guys I currently have the d1-driver (amp driver not direct DAC!) on home demo. The unit arrived yesterday morning and has been playing since.

Initial impressions are positive. I have it sitting between my d1-seven and Absolare Integrated. It feels a bit odd (and counter intuitive) having what is effectively a pre amp (albeit without volume control) feeding my integrated amplifier however it seems to have quite a big effect on the sound. I could sum it up in one word: immediacy.

As the unit continues to settle I will share more in-depth impressions.

Cheers,

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume,

Thanks for keeping us updated.....I am curious how you are adjusting the volume. Are you using the D1 Server or the Absolare? Does the Absolare have a (HT) bypass that would allow you to bypass the volume control completely?

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com
Hi Guillaume,

Thanks for keeping us updated.....I am curious how you are adjusting the volume. Are you using the D1 Server or the Absolare? Does the Absolare have a (HT) bypass that would allow you to bypass the volume control completely?

Actually I am using the Absolare in the normal way, using it to control the volume. It seems a bit nuts but it definitely sounds good! You’d think adding yet another box plus set of cables in the signal chain would mess things up a little but no... I imagine this thing will be very good with the d1-direct. Perhaps i’ll get my d1-seven converted... decisions decisions!

Guillaume

Iamrael

Nov 3, 2017
Actually I am using the Absolare in the normal way, using it to control the volume. It seems a bit nuts but it definitely sounds good! You’d think adding yet another box plus set of cables in the signal chain would mess things up a little but no... I imagine this thing will be very good with the d1-direct. Perhaps i’ll get my d1-seven converted... decisions decisions!

Guillaume

Not all integrateds are created equal. Do you know if your Absolare uses an active or passive preamp? If the later, what you are experiencing makes sense. I am very interested in trying this with my Twelve. I find it crazy that with so many audiophools having only one source, that the selection of minimalist ACTIVE preamps is so limited. I wonder if Vincent intends on making a tubed version of the same.

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Hi guys I currently have the d1-driver (amp driver not direct DAC!) on home demo. The unit arrived yesterday morning and has been playing since.

Initial impressions are positive. I have it sitting between my d1-seven and Absolare Integrated. It feels a bit odd (and counter intuitive) having what is effectively a pre amp (albeit without volume control) feeding my integrated amplifier however it seems to have quite a big effect on the sound. I could sum it up in one word: immediacy.

As the unit continues to settle I will share more in-depth impressions.

Cheers,

Guillaume

Hi and thank you Guillaume for your feedback on the d1-driver,
I was very curious about his contribution with our great integrated amps
and it still sounds pretty meaningful!

Bruno

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com
Not all integrateds are created equal. Do you know if your Absolare uses an active or passive preamp? If the later, what you are experiencing makes sense. I am very interested in trying this with my Twelve. I find it crazy that with so many audiophools having only one source, that the selection of minimalist ACTIVE preamps is so limited. I wonder if Vincent intends on making a tubed version of the same.

I don't think it's passive since it is based on the mu-follower circuitry used in the Passion Preamp.

I am sure Vincent could make a tube version on request.

Guillaume

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Hi and thank you Guillaume for your feedback on the d1-driver,
I was very curious about his contribution with our great integrated amps
and it still sounds pretty meaningful!

Bruno

I am confused, why doesn't the TotalDAC models have a top gain stage in them already, or have I mixed something?

GuillaumeB

VIP/Donor
Mar 10, 2014
UK
www.boyeraudio.com
I've been having a great time with Vincent's latest creation. It's definitely needed quite a bit of settling in time, to be expected I guess for a brand new unit with massive caps!

At times I have wondered if the sound wasn't a bit too forward/intense since it really increases resolution. Although I should add not at the cost of musicality. Most of the time I'm amazed by what I hear though. Extraordinary presence of vocals, transparency is definitely improved and everything is just a bit more immediate and real (ok I'm repeating myself but you get the gist!). I suppose I could say that the speakers have almost disappeared and the image that floats between them has better definition and texture. *** N.B. The d1 -seven was already amazing in this regard, this is just making things even better!

Vincent is going to send me another version of the PSU which he says calms things down a little and might be a better match for my setup.

The unit seems very sensitive to feet, I tried some small pieces of african wood (Palisander?) that Kerem (of Absolare) sent me and I was astonished by the warming/softening of the sound. Everything is already on an Entreq level 3 Athena shelf, hence my surprise I guess.

Cheers,

Guillaume

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
I am confused, why doesn't the TotalDAC models have a top gain stage in them already, or have I mixed something?

The d1-driver is a big class A preamp (without volume control). This requires power, heat dissipation and room, such a preamp/output stage can't be embedded in a DAC box.

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com
I've been having a great time with Vincent's latest creation. It's definitely needed quite a bit of settling in time, to be expected I guess for a brand new unit with massive caps!

At times I have wondered if the sound wasn't a bit too forward/intense since it really increases resolution. Although I should add not at the cost of musicality. Most of the time I'm amazed by what I hear though. Extraordinary presence of vocals, transparency is definitely improved and everything is just a bit more immediate and real (ok I'm repeating myself but you get the gist!). I suppose I could say that the speakers have almost disappeared and the image that floats between them has better definition and texture. *** N.B. The d1 -seven was already amazing in this regard, this is just making things even better!

Vincent is going to send me another version of the PSU which he says calms things down a little and might be a better match for my setup.

The unit seems very sensitive to feet, I tried some small pieces of african wood (Palisander?) that Kerem (of Absolare) sent me and I was astonished by the warming/softening of the sound. Everything is already on an Entreq level 3 Athena shelf, hence my surprise I guess.

Cheers,

Guillaume
Hi Guillaume,
Indeed the separate power supply that you have is a prototype, I will send you the production version this week!

totaldac

Industry Expert
Aug 17, 2012
France
www.totaldac.com

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    766.6 KB · Views: 321

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Hi everybody,
the d1-driver is coming... and i have a quite very good feeling!

See you soon
Bruno

Last edited:

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi everybody,
the d1-drive si coming... and i have a quite very good feeling!
See you soon
Bruno

Wait for your report! Many thanks!

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Ok... in a few days.

and now the best even better, also using some technicals developments that you can be found
on d1- Seven and d1-Direct... like that, not jealous at all.

http://www.totaldac.com/D1-twelve-eng.htm

Be well in music.

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Hi everybody,
arrived yesterday morning of the d1-driver, I can not resist a first quick return, so it comes down to... Incarnation of the musical message, density and presence without breaking the tonal balance and any artifice. All the bandwidth finds a surprising complement of articulation with this same fluidity, always without any will of analysis. I also feel more authority on speakers, the paradox of mastery for more freedom expression of musical intentions (which is not always respected).

The letting go is even more immediate, bringing us closer to the acoustic event.
Ouch! ... probably even more addictive than it already was!

all this is nothing and everything.
Go well in music
Bruno

PS: the sensation must be, probably, greater on amps or power blocks, even if it is already well signifying on my integrated.
All this to confirm in the duration, with round trips, with and without.

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Hello,
In fact it is only this afternoon with, probably, a right tube rolling for my amp version (E80CC) that I entered, really surrounded by the emotion,
the depth of expression and the impression of realism that the d1-driver can bring with the persistent sensation that sounds arise more deeply from the body,
those of singers like those of instruments... a quite disturbing experience !

but hey, it's probably not too serious ... hihi.

it's nothing and that's all.
go well in music
bruno

BF38

Oct 31, 2017
Hi all,
after a few weeks living with the d1-driver, i just say that if my system is still playing so good without as can imagine those who knows and appreciates the Totaldac musical philosophy, with there is a new and much more addictive musical dimension... amazing, no more words !... this d1-driver stays in place.

This is the end dans the beginning.
Go well in music
Bruno

Samsoum

Sep 9, 2018
Hi guys;
This is my first post here.
I m changing my digital upfront and decided to go totaldac d1 server first step plus either tube mk2 or dual dac second step.
So initially buying d1 to connect via aes / ebu to devialet used now as streamer/ dac/ pre.
After d1, my next upgrade will be the upgraded psu for the server and the gigafilter usb.
Vincent advised me the bibacord for aes, but can t afford it now.
I m thinking of audience se aes as of now and was wondering what would be a better option on the same bracket price.
I can spend 600 usd for the aes( don t mind used); any suggestion?
Thks

Samsoum

Sep 9, 2018
Totaldac d1 server+ bibacord aes/ebu on the way.
I will post my impressions soon.
Thks all for your support and help.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Totaldac d1 server+ bibacord aes/ebu on the way.
I will post my impressions soon.
Thks all for your support and help.

Congratulations!

Wait for your report!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing