Tweaks : A sensible investment or a waste of money?

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Barry,

I have found these to be of genuine sonic benefit in my system, which as some folk here have heard, is centred around transparency to the recording, on both analogue and digital (CD). At first, after a recommendation, I tried just one booster on my Pre, a Concert Fidelity 080 LSX2. Over my many years of audio, I have tried various things to improve transparency, some failed pretty miserably, some not so much difference so were removed, but this NCF booster did 2 things that I could detect straight away, being more 'air', and slightly less instrument blurring, something that you don't know exists until you hear it differently of course. I spent a few weeks checking my findings before ordering 2 more, which confirmed what was going on, and added to the improvement, more air, more space and seemingly improved tonality from instuments. So now I use 5, on my pre, Ayon CD-T, my balanced power supply, and speaker modules (active bass ML's). I will want to add 2 more soon, 1 to my Allnic H3000 PSU, (for which at the moment I swap the one on the Ayon CD-T to), and 1 to the new Ayon Stratos Ref DAC. They do genuinely seem to add to the illusion of reality.

To answer your opening question, in my opinion, in my system, a very worthwhile investment :)

(Also, just to be clear, I use Furutech components on several products as OEM, so deal direct with the UK distributor but am not a dealer of Furutech accessories per se)

Best Rgds,
Paul

Thank you for sharing that with us Paul.
Does seem worth trying and it will be interesting to hear if others have had the same experience
Best regards
Barry

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
I am motivated to start this thread to facilitate a dedicated and an informed discussion about this aspect of our hobby as opposed to a Zu centric or other component centric exchange.
A useful starting point for me is what should we regard as a tweak.
I don't see cables be they interconnects, speaker cables, power cables or usb and ethernet cables really qualifying as tweaks. To me they are part of the audio mainstream and there is overwhelming experience and evidence that they do make a real difference to sound quality. How you divide your spend between cable and amps/sources is an entirely valid issue. In general ,and to use an old English proverb, I do not believe you can turn a sows ear into a silk purse. Or in other words the spend on cables needs to bear a sensible relationship to the spend on the component concerned. No point in spending a small fortune on cables for a "budget" amp or whatever. Far more cost effective to buy a better amp.
As a long term proponent of the benefits of grounding I approach that feature in the same way. IME experience it is cost effective but it makes no sense to buy a Tripoint Emperor and Anaconda cables to connect to a system of mid priced kit. Investment in grounding needs to be proportionate to the rest of the system. Indeed, I can see the argument that you should shun grounding completely and use the saving to spend on upgrading other aspects of the system.I do not agree with that but I can see the logic. It's a matter of maintaining a sensible balance IMHO.
Vibration insulation is another issue on which I take the same view.
I won't seek to try and set out an exhaustive list of tweaks/real or alleged performance products, but it does seem to me that we could all benefit from a sensible discussion on this topic if only because the evidence suggests that it is all too easy to get the balance of investment in ones system expensively wrong.

Interesting thread. Considering that roughly 65% of my entire system’s cost is dedicated to many of the so-called “tweaks” and “accessories” mentioned in this thread, my take is perhaps a bit out of the ordinary.

The words "tweak" and "accessory" by their very definitions imply insignificant contributors and since both terms are often times used synonymously and interchangeably, so will I. Ignoring for the moment all the potential superior/inferior designs, materials, treatments, and installation methods (superior means everything) many of the tweaks and accessories listed in this thread just so happen to apply either to the electrical energy management or mechanical energy management sectors.

That’s interesting because about 6 years ago I reached the conclusion that even though electrical and mechanical energies are a basic requirement for any playback system to even function - that when under-controlled or poorly managed these same two energies will utterly cripple our sensitive components’ precision and accuracy such that they can only perform at a small percentage of their real potential. Thus leaving a majority of the music information embedded in a given recording (regardless of format) so distorted that even though read and processed, much of the info remains inaudible at the speaker due to a much raised noise floor. A universal performance-limiting governor if you will (think hi-fi sound).

Few if any can agree on what is most important in a playback system as that horse has been beaten to death many times. But hopefully most would agree that whatever is truly most important must apply somewhat universally to every playback system and that becomes the foundation for which to build any playback system.

It’s fundamental from an architectural building structure perspective that the structure’s foundation is paramount to the structure’s performance and longevity. I’m also convinced that for perhaps every performance-oriented industry, it is the foundation that ultimately determines the performance of whatever is placed on top of it.

Try thinking of a playback system as a vineyard where every component/object has its place in the vineyard with little or no overlap (impact) into other parts of the vineyard. That is, unless its related to the electrical or mechanical mgmt. sectors which impact all or nearly all parts of the vineyard.

Sure upgrading a tiny fuse in a single component may be considered somewhat of a joke. But when all fuses are upgraded in all components the laughter turns to a little smile. Even more impacting when all AC plugs, outlets, and IEC connectors are upgraded to superior versions. Vast improvements can be achieved when installing/upgrading to superior line conditioners for all components. Still more significant gains can be achieved when all cables, fuses, connectors, and outlets are cryo-treated. Still more gains can be achieved when such electrical objects are cryo’ed via the superior cryo’ing method.

With every superior upgrade to the foundation, it’s simply observing the sonic gains exponentiate as perhaps every part of the vineyard is impacted. The keyword being superior. Superior products, designs, treatments, and installation methods. Thus implying there exist plenty of inferior types that give the illusion of little or no sonic benefits can be had.

If you haven’t noticed, what we’re talking about here is building blocks. Building piece by piece a superior foundation to address universal distortions induced by electrical and mechanical energies that severely cripples every last component when left untreated. Moreover, it’s imperative to note that building such a foundation requires an all or nothing effort. Especially for the mechanical energy mgmt. sector. A token or half-assed effort is hardly better than no effort. Whereas, applying an extreme focused effort is potentially life-changing as every component built on this foundation is allowed to perform far closer to its real potential. IOW, when taken to the extreme, you just might eventually conclude that the components and speakers from the buy-sell merry-go-round are the real tweaks and accessories when it comes to performance. Even though this seems bass-ackwards.

If I stop here and consider my entire foundation complete, most any playback system employing superior electrical tweaks / accessories including those ingredients listed above will have already achieved a level of musicality few other systems can match. But the electrical energy mgmt. sector only gets us maybe 1/3rd of the way toward a well-rounded complete and superior performing foundation. The other 2/3rds falls to the mechanical energy mgmt. sector.

So when you ask, “Is a tweak a sensible investment or a waste of money?” my broad-brushed response is, that depends. Not on the tweak but on your own mindset, the importance you place on performance, and your end-game plan toward experiencing real musical pleasure. For example. There are those who arrive at the drag strip with hubcaps removed from their station wagons to lower wind resistance and there are those who arrive with their finely-tuned fully-blown Top Fuel dragsters indicating one group is taking performance far more seriously than the other.

Maybe a better question is, when you think of a building structure’s foundation, do you envision the foundation as a single unit? Or do you envision all the various products, designs, ingredients, and installation methods that make up a superior foundation e.g. rebar, cinder blocks, beams, cement, stones, columns, packed soil, curing times, frames, etc? And do you envision that the responsibility has to fall to somebody to assemble a superior foundation?

You said, “I do not believe you can turn a sow’s ear into a silk purse.” But I say, show me a playback system regardless of cost that employs few or no so-called tweaks and/or accessories and I’ll show you a playback system that cannot rise above the all-too-common me too hi-fi sound aka a sow’s ear.

Alternatively I say, show me even a humble system that employs superior versions of these so-called tweaks and/or accessories i.e. superior designs, materials, and installation methods (aka a well-thought-out foundation) and I’ll show you a playback system with a level of musicality aka a silk purse that is perhaps unmatched by any other system regardless of cost.

IME, this explains exactly why a few years ago a well-regarded amp designer admitted in another forum when discussing measurements that every last one of his designs as well as every other designers’ designs included at least one serious and unknown flaw that could not be measured. Having never heard his designs, my response to him was that his designs contained no such serious unknown flaws but rather his designs were simply incomplete without being properly installed in a playback system employing a superior foundation that would allow his and others’ designs to soar far beyond the universal performance-limiting governor. My response was not well-received even though I touted his designs far higher than he did.

The bottom line is, whether we realize it or not and whether superior or inferior every last playback system is built on this same foundation whose performance is determined solely by our desire to sufficiently manage electrical and mechanical energies – bar none.

Ultrafast69

VIP/Donor
Aug 27, 2018
Seattle, WA
www.audio-ultra.com
Tweaks are just that, the nominal gain that takes you from great to greater but at a cost, and many times hard to justify the time, effort and cash. However, these type of expenses can yield results depending on what else is involved, meaning no improvement may be because something else is controlling things better and conversely you can gain something you did not know could occur.

Recently I reused some HRS Nimbus pucks which I viewed as less superior to Stillpoints. By using HRS in place of the Stillpoints Ultra SS under an outboard power supply actually controlled a barely audible hum (for I’m still trying to figure how it even came about) to effectively nothing.

In terms of power which I don’t consider a tweak but rather a component, I drank the Nordost KoolAid, and have no regrets using their QRT foundation after the Furutech NCF receptacle connected to a dedicated circuit.

In the end call it what you may, it is guaranteed to put you on the emotional roller coaster of high end audio, just try not to lose site on your efforts which put you on the field over any critic, now to win the game

Reactions: nwp

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
Since we are talking about buying and adding something to our system with hopes of improving the performance......If it does not do that, do we then have a de-tweaking situation?
I have had instances where something did not perform better, and in some cases even dropped it a level or two.

So in this case the "tweak" actually made me hear a change was needed. One was the use of a mat on my turntable, I have used different cork mats as well as the Herbies Way Excellent products. These tweaks showed me I did not need a mat, so I have been running naked for a few years with better results than with any mat I have owned.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
A High End Audio Engineer once told me "Finish your system first, tweak it second". That said, I have quite a few tweaks incl: Stillpoints and Acoustic revive products. To me it's really about optimizing your system to get the best out of it. The Stillpoints Ultra 6's + Ultra bases were a revelation under my Vitus components. I'm also planning to add Stillpoints Aperture II panels, Futurech NCF Boosters & more Akiko Audio products in the near future.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
System never finishes, so tweak it first

Reactions: sujay and KeithR

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Interesting thread. Considering that roughly 65% of my entire system’s cost is dedicated to many of the so-called “tweaks” and “accessories” mentioned in this thread, my take is perhaps a bit out of the ordinary.

The words "tweak" and "accessory" by their very definitions imply insignificant contributors and since both terms are often times used synonymously and interchangeably, so will I. Ignoring for the moment all the potential superior/inferior designs, materials, treatments, and installation methods (superior means everything) many of the tweaks and accessories listed in this thread just so happen to apply either to the electrical energy management or mechanical energy management sectors.

Don't you manufacture/sell "tweaks?"

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
You tweak when there is an itch. You de-tweak when you regain your consciousness. And you tweak agian when it itches again. Interestingly, when you have no money, there is no itch.

Kind regards,
Tang

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
And Tang, since tweaking leads to no money, you have to be careful just how much you scratch.

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to take anti-histamines?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
You tweak when there is an itch. You de-tweak when you regain your consciousness. And you tweak agian when it itches again. Interestingly, when you have no money, there is no itch.

Kind regards,
Tang
Do power cords, interconnects and speaker cables count as tweaks? That might be the only “tweaky “ thing in my system.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Do power cords, interconnects and speaker cables count as tweaks? That might be the only “tweaky “ thing in my system.

my view is that if it's in the signal path or strictly acoustics (attached to a wall or ceiling) it's not a tweak. tweaks can be removed and you still have music. the exception is your rack; if it's just furniture then it's not a tweak. but exotic performance structure or resonance attenuating design is a tweak.

just my 2 cents.

so to answer your question; signal path and power cables do not fall into the tweak category by me. but added/changed plugs, tuned supports, and outlets are tweaks. power conditioners and enhancements to the power grid are tweaks.

Reactions: DaveC

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
The real eye opener for me was reviewing the accessories from Synergistic Research. I had a great sounding system already but I did hear a significant improvement when I put in grounding components and added the MiG isolation devices. And the HFT devices I wrote about are not expensive.

My view changed from "you do tweaks when all else is done" to "you treat tweaks as another component because it elevates what all the gear is capable of and the magnitude of change can be great.."

Reactions: Bodhi

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
The real eye opener for me was reviewing the accessories from Synergistic Research. I had a great sounding system already but I did hear a significant improvement when I put in grounding components and added the MiG isolation devices. And the HFT devices I wrote about are not expensive.

My view changed from "you do tweaks when all else is done" to "you treat tweaks as another component because it elevates what all the gear is capable of and the magnitude of change can be great.."
I recalll Ted Denney did a great job alongside Scott Walker presenting the S5 Mk2's at Axpona in 2017 which you covered for PTA. Impressive devices!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

The nice thing in this hobby is that each of us has its own definition of tweak.

IMHO the embarrassing aspect of tweaks is that as soon as we accept one of them we must be prepared to accept them all. ;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
my view is that if it's in the signal path or strictly acoustics (attached to a wall or ceiling) it's not a tweak. tweaks can be removed and you still have music. the exception is your rack; if it's just furniture then it's not a tweak. but exotic performance structure or resonance attenuating design is a tweak.

just my 2 cents.

so to answer your question; signal path and power cables do not fall into the tweak category by me. but added/changed plugs, tuned supports, and outlets are tweaks. power conditioners and enhancements to the power grid are tweaks.

Mike,

I can't understand why power cables are not tweaks and power conditioners and enhancements to the power grid are tweaks. :confused:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike,

I can't understand why power cables are not tweaks and power conditioners and enhancements to the power grid are tweaks. :confused:

power cables are essential/required to hear music. they come in all shapes and sizes just like electronics, but are required for music reproduction. so not a tweak.

not to say that an expensive power cord cannot be as crazy as tweaks can be. but it's still essential to have one.

an added box, or added transformer into the power grid is not essential. you can have music without it. so i view it as a tweak.

just my personal viewpoint and how i think of it.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
power cables are essential/required to hear music. they come in all shapes and sizes just like electronics, but are required for music reproduction. so not a tweak.

not to say that an expensive power cord cannot be as crazy as tweaks can be. but it's still essential to have one.

an added box, or added transformer into the power grid is not essential. you can have music without it. so i view it as a tweak.

just my personal viewpoint and how i think of it.

I see. An engineer approach to tweaks! Can we conclude that your ears are not a tweak, but your friends ears are a tweak? :)

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The nice thing in this hobby is that each of us has its own definition of tweak.

IMHO the embarrassing aspect of tweaks is that as soon as we accept one of them we must be prepared to accept them all. ;)
Even the Peter Belt stuff?? o_O

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing