Visit to Marc C.'s (SpiritOfMusic's) House in England

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
What can I tell you, Keith? I like to relax by torturing myself.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Seriously Keith, I'm taking great pride in sticking w the same core components now for 4-6 years, getting the environment right for them ie the room, and optimising the sound a lot further than I could have hoped for. The recent changes on the tt have really been eye opening, and I'm a little embarassed to admit that after 22 years w high end tts, I wasn't anywhere close to getting it right even 6 weeks ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: KeithR

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Peter, that's a good suggestion. However, I don't know Mik that well and I live 100 miles from him. Additionally, I'm pretty confident I've covered all the bases. So, I've sorted full isolation from my suspended floor (180kg of slate and pneumatics), full levelling of support/plinth/platter, much more precise cart setup (easier than I thought with a linear tracking arm), and azimuth (my armwand now sports a handy mini spirit level).
All of this, plus advantage of lighter carbon fibre armwand, has really pushed things on. Audiophile Bill got me on the right track here.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Throw in multiple layers of isolation btwn spkrs and floor (Revopods footers/Panzerholz slabs/Symposium Svelte shelves), judicious use of GIKs acoustic panels on walls, and fastidious experimentation in placement of spkrs, the last 3-6 months of system optimisation has really paid off.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Just returned from one of the most enjoyable days listening to another person's system, Animas horns at Mani. The sound was consistently suprising and enjoyable (just my usual caveats on adjusting to non cone bass, and horns torturing the primitive aspects of prog rock mastering, notwithstanding).

In this 100% fun aspect it joins the AG Duos of Blue58 and Apogee Duettas of User211 as slam dunk great transducers (usual considerations on careful setup apply, nothing this good happens by accident).

In the past I've returned to my system after being wowed elsewhere, and been down for a few days, or even longer as I've realised my system would be lacking in many areas.

But in the last couple of years I've returned from Apogees/211s at User211, Pnoes/Mayers at The General, many AG Duos/45s demos at Blue58, recent top Ares Cerat system, all Thrax hybrid system, and now superlative Animas, and gone on to fire up my system.

And realised much as I love what I hear w these horns and ribbons, and how certain aspects properly trump mine, my efforts have really provided massive dividends as I realise I would not swap my sound easily. To feel like I'm not any longer in these guys' slipstreams is an important place for me to have got to, and justifies in my eyes at least the extra mile I've gone to in tweaking out and optimising my sound.

Now, add a pair of Animas for purely classical and jazz listening. I could be open to that...

Last edited:
Reactions: opus112

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Now, add a pair of Animas for purely classical and jazz listening. I could be open to that...

I'm truly puzzled by all this. I love horns, but mostly for rock, specially the old, quirky kind (prog). Classical and jazz didn't do anything for me on the horns, on the contrary. But rock had a special charm though them.

The big Anima in Munich was great when they cranked some Zeppelin. Not so much when they put the tinkly jazz.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I'm truly puzzled by all this. I love horns, but mostly for rock, specially the old, quirky kind (prog). Classical and jazz didn't do anything for me on the horns, on the contrary. But rock had a special charm though them.

The big Anima in Munich was great when they cranked some Zeppelin. Not so much when they put the tinkly jazz.

I’m also puzzled... but more just because horns are best (I don’t usually use that word) at jazz and can also clearly be amazing at some smaller scale classical (sonatas and chamber especially) and some of them even nail large scale orchestral.

Though I think for me it’s more about how they connect you with the music rather than a purely sonic assessment. I’m listening to even more classical and jazz than usual since getting the horn n set combo up and running.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I’m also puzzled... but more just because horns are best (I don’t usually use that word) at jazz and can also clearly be amazing at some smaller scale classical (sonatas and chamber especially) and some of them even nail large scale orchestral.

Though I think for me it’s more about how they connect you with the music rather than a purely sonic assessment. I’m listening to even more classical and jazz than usual since getting the horn n set combo up and running.

Exactly! Well, go figure, but for me, old rock music and horns is an almost immediate connection :)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Just returned from one of the most enjoyable days listening to another person's system, Animas horns at Mani. The sound was consistently suprising and enjoyable (just my usual caveats on adjusting to non cone bass, and horns torturing the primitive aspects of prog rock mastering, notwithstanding).

In this 100% fun aspect it joins the AG Duos of Blue58 and Apogee Duettas of User211 as slam dunk great transducers (usual considerations on careful setup apply, nothing this good happens by accident).

In the past I've returned to my system after being wowed elsewhere, and been down for a few days, or even longer as I've realised my system would be lacking in many areas.

But in the last couple of years I've returned from Apogees/211s at User211, Pnoes/Mayers at The General, many AG Duos/45s demos at Blue58, recent top Ares Cerat system, all Thrax hybrid system, and now superlative Animas, and gone on to fire up my system.

And realised much as I love what I hear w these horns and ribbons, and how certain aspects properly trump mine, my efforts have really provided massive dividends as I realise I would not swap my sound easily. To feel like I'm not any longer in these guys' slipstreams is an important place for me to have got to, and justifies in my eyes at least the extra mile I've gone to in tweaking out and optimising my sound.

That sounds like a very fun day Marc!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Very i n t e r e s t i n g , Alex! On this one, I am with Marc: I especially like horns for jazz and classical.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

Alex, the issue is not so much that horns don't do prog or fusion, it's just that there is so much disparity btwn tracks, and critically to the stuff that horns lap up ie classical, jazz, vocals.

So, on Barry's well sorted Duos, Genesis, Wind And Wuthering: Los Endos sounds compelling. But Trespass: The Knife sounds cut into a zillion pieces.

Rush, Marillion sounds flat and glassy, whether its original or remastered Hemispheres or Clutching At Straws.

These albums sound juicy, textured and dynamic on my lowly tt and Zus.

Just forget about Magma or Voivod on horns, the pulling apart of things is painful.

But put on Snarky Puppy, Nils Frahm, London Grammar or Needlepoint, stuff I'd consider pretty good modern prog related/post prog, and the Duos are commanding and communicative, I'm sure better than my Zus could ever be.

My dilemma on horns in a nutshell.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Alex, the issue is not so much that horns don't do prog or fusion, it's just that there is so much disparity btwn tracks, and critically to the stuff that horns lap up ie classical, jazz, vocals.

So, on Barry's well sorted Duos, Genesis, Wind And Wuthering: Los Endos sounds compelling. But Trespass: The Knife sounds cut into a zillion pieces.

Rush, Marillion sounds flat and glassy, whether its original or remastered Hemispheres or Clutching At Straws.

These albums sound juicy, textured and dynamic on my lowly tt and Zus.

Just forget about Magma or Voivod on horns, the pulling apart of things is painful.

But put on Snarky Puppy, Nils Frahm, London Grammar or Needlepoint, stuff I'd consider pretty good modern prog related/post prog, and the Duos are commanding and communicative, I'm sure better than my Zus could ever be.

My dilemma on horns in a nutshell.

I am puzzled how your reaction to your music on horns could vary so much artist by artist?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
It really really does.

One analogy is the black coffee without sugar one. This is horns. You can taste every blend directly, some aromatic (classical, jazz, well recorded modern stuff like Nils Frahm), some bitter (prog, fusion, flat multitracked/ProTools eg Queen, Adele).

You become a coffee addict, only happy w the best.

Box spkrs, incl my Zus, more forgiving of poor recordings, could be coffee, white w sugar. More palatable of blend. But disguising or colouring that blend too.

I struggle a little w strong, black unsweeted Expresso double shots, as I do 95% Cacao pure chocolate etc etc.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It really really does.

One analogy is the black coffee without sugar one. This is horns. You can taste every blend directly, some aromatic (classical, jazz, well recorded modern stuff like Nils Frahm), some bitter (prog, fusion, flat multitracked/ProTools eg Queen, Adele).

You become a coffee addict, only happy w the best.

Box spkrs, incl my Zus, more forgiving of poor recordings, could be coffee, white w sugar. More palatable of blend. But disguising or colouring that blend too.

I struggle a little w strong, black unsweeted Expresso double shots, as I do 95% Cacao pure chocolate etc etc.

Thank you for trying to explain. I guess I am having trouble with some of your generalizations.

For example, I definitely don’t think that box speakers as a class of speakers are more forgiving of poor recordings than are horn speakers as a class of speakers. I agree that your Zu speakers in particular are more forgiving of poor recordings than is maybe the average horn speaker.

Reactions: asiufy

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
At the sharp end of overly engineered multi driver, lowish sensitivity, complex crossover, v fussy to partnering amps, box spkrs, those featured heavilly on WBF w price tags North of $50-100k, maybe the same fussy "jitteryness" would also be present on reproducing so much "poor sounding" material from late 60s onwards.

Maybe the Zu signature of being extremely affable w poorer recordings is indeed their USP. In my case, I've also managed to eek out more openess and transparency and neutrality w the better sounding, more acoustic-based material too.

It's totally telling that the Zu Crew, Sean Casey esp, will never play audiophile based material at shows.

Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
To be “forgiving” of bad recordings is to be homogeneous and Lo-fi. To hear differences across LPs and artists is the essence of hi fidelity. As long as we can collectively agree on this basic premise.

I am not saying that one should not wish for homogenous lo-fi - that is a matter of taste.

But to be homogenous limits the ability of the system to sounds magical imho ymmv. The latter is what separates average systems from the best imho ymmv.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I forgot one last imho ymmv

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
All this money on cables and isolation to play bad recordings and make them sound homogenous

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing