Visit to Marc C.'s (SpiritOfMusic's) House in England

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure Gavin, very tempted indeed. However this demo coincided with my house move, and I'm afraid practicalities trump temptation when it comes to spending priorities.
I'm also acutely aware that a stellar demo is the whole system, and this included Vyger Atlantis, Red Sparrow, Mayer 10Y pre, D3A differential phono and 46 monos, top of the range silver models.
So temptation stayed purely as temptation. And nothing beyond.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Third day in, certainly several weeks off all the new caps bedding in and the quad 211 swap fully opening up, but some immediate very positive impressions.
The amps change has really wrought some big upticks in dynamics and openness.
I'm listening to Herbie Hancock Empyrean Isles, and the soundstage seems bolder and fuller, while also extending further back. I can really see and feel Tony Williams' drumkit fully formed.
Recent changes via Permali plinth to TT, Zavfino/Bocchinos tonearm wire, and special order Boron stylus to Straingauge, are being revealed as a massive step up in neutrality and transparency to source, meaning greater fidelity and natural realism in playback.
Not forgetting removing a discernable source of noise in the room by moving my balanced transformer outside.
This is not a tick box exercise, this is a big step twds the types of natural unforced realistic sound I hear in the best systems I've visited, Audiophile Bill and his bespoke horns, Montesquieu/Tom and his Tannoys, UK Paul and his previous modded ML Spires.
Feels like huge payback for the effort (and expense) I've put into the system especially since the move to the chapel, and has rewarded me for sticking to my guns on the idiosyncratic path I've chosen rather than deviating to (albeit more logical at the time) alternative directions and outcomes.

Last edited:
Reactions: rando

VinylSavor

May 15, 2018
Lindau, Germany
www.thomasmayer.li
Mayer 10Y pre, D3A differential phono and 46 monos, top of the range silver models.
So temptation stayed purely as temptation. And nothing beyond.
Hi! The 10y probably was the top of the range silver model. But I never shipped a differential silver phono to the UK and only copper 46 amps.... So there is still quite a bit of room for improvement ;-)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure Thomas, certainly your amps were amazing on the Gran Sferas.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Sure Gavin, very tempted indeed. However this demo coincided with my house move, and I'm afraid practicalities trump temptation when it comes to spending priorities.
Perhaps this is where I'm going wrong?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
And it's very easy indeed to go wrong lol.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Gavin, after a few years of chasing my tail on my system, I've kinda caught up with myself. The egocentric human version of the dog running around in circles.
It's sure fun chasing a system sound...but it's also TIRING lol.
What I need to do now is pull back from system navel gazing and reconnect a little with the whole purpose of the hobby, listening to music.
What I'm very content about for the first time really is that my sound is way more neutral and even handed, meaning way greater enjoyment and appreciation of primarily classical, but also jazz.
I *could* just about swing to a total change in spkrs and analog front end, but I remain of the opinion that I need to concentrate on building up a much more extensive classical and jazz LP collection, my sound now for the first time at a place to allow me to take advantage.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Gave into extreme temptation, and have added a pair of Arya Audio Airblades Hype SE to my system. Ongoing impressions have totally vindicated my decision. Feels very "end game" as a move.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Next stop: Definition 6?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
End game Airblades followed by Defs 6 could be described as highly inconsistent lol.
Then again, Hollywood loves multiple spin offs and director's cuts.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Gavin, after a few years of chasing my tail on my system, I've kinda caught up with myself. The egocentric human version of the dog running around in circles.
It's sure fun chasing a system sound...but it's also TIRING lol.
What I need to do now is pull back from system navel gazing and reconnect a little with the whole purpose of the hobby, listening to music.
What I'm very content about for the first time really is that my sound is way more neutral and even handed, meaning way greater enjoyment and appreciation of primarily classical, but also jazz.
I *could* just about swing to a total change in spkrs and analog front end, but I remain of the opinion that I need to concentrate on building up a much more extensive classical and jazz LP collection, my sound now for the first time at a place to allow me to take advantage.

where is this at now

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
There are a couple of reasons I can't and thus won't swing for Defs 6. First is the fact that £ and $ at near parity, the 6s could cost me anywhere close to 3x what I paid for the 2s and 4s. With the chapel renovation demands, I'm not finding that lump sum in a hurry.
Second, I'm truly bowled over where recent changes have gotten me to, from TT motor/arm/plinth/stylus upgrades, to wholesale amp caps uptick, newly biased 211s, to PETs acoustic fit out in room, and now these phenomenal Airblades.
I'm getting a systemic leap in my whole sound, finally my Zus are convincing across whole genres, and I want to get to know this wholly improved sound before even thinking about a major loudspeakers change.
So, unattainable cost of Defs 6 and my sound playing out of its skin as things stand w recent changes, mean no desire to look beyond.

Last edited:
Reactions: infinitely baffled

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
End game Airblades followed by Defs 6 could be described as highly inconsistent lol.
Then again, Hollywood loves multiple spin offs and director's cuts.

you must be the longest running soap

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
where is this at now
This is where it always is, I'm contradicting myself lol. I'm ok to admit that. The opportunity to buy the Airblades has come out of the blue, and they do something I can't even achieve for 3x their budget, so I've taken the plunge.
My bank balance fully dictates that nothing beyond another Prince Sablon, possible Zu factory sub amps change, and some odds and ends, are the only things on the horizon.

Reactions: bonzo75

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Gave into extreme temptation, and have added a pair of Arya Audio Airblades Hype SE to my system. Ongoing impressions have totally vindicated my decision. Feels very "end game" as a move.
Wow
They look fantastic

What are these Definition 6's that Ron speaks of?
Edit: aah i see. More Zu's?

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well Gavin, first new Defs in a decade, so not so much "more" as "about bloody time".
However $22k that would mean £11-14k in 2008, means, um, £22-28k today.
These Airblades plus a Zu factory upgrade for my on board sub amps, amount to a fraction of those sums.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
There are a couple of reasons I can't and thus won't swing for Defs 6. . . .
So, unattainable cost of Defs 6 and my sound playing out of its skin as things stand w recent changes, mean no desire to look beyond.

That's what you say now. :)

Given how long the new Definition 6 has taken to be born, I suspect it will be a significant improvement in transparency (new full-range driver, new cabinet) and high frequency extension (new tweeter) and low frequencies (front-firing woofer).

Reactions: KeithR

montesquieu

Jan 27, 2019

I feel a visit to Norfolk coming on ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing