VYGER ATLANTIS MK IV

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
It is superlative on everything.
I agree. I think if it stands out in any area it would be bass and dynamics but of course it has a lot to do with the cartridge and placement.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I agree. I think if it stands out in any area it would be bass and dynamics but of course it has a lot to do with the cartridge and placement.
The bass is very epic but with the right cartridge the inner nuances are very high.

But above all, and I am pleased for Bob, it is just such an addictive source. It gets to the heart of the music with ease.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I shouldn't post this video as our existing DFW Rhapsody showroom has turned into a laboratory for the moment. We are moving to a new location that is currently under construction. The new DFW Rhapsody location should be ready to go in October.

Chris played his Atlantis yesterday for the first time. The cartridge is new out of the box. This is the second album that he played, so the cart has 20 minutes of playing time on it. The cartridge is a Koetsu Onyx Platinum.

Chris in Dallas also has an Indian Signature coming that will be in the new M9 room. The Atlantis playing now will be in the Alsyvox, Diesis, Bayz room.

That is in addition to Bob having his new Atlantis in Portland and Rhapsody in Brooklyn with an Atlantis.

The rest of the system is Magico M9s with Pilium electronics (Alexander pre, Achilles stereo and Poseidon monos) and all VYDA cabling.

Last edited:

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
When I had my Wilson Alexia/audio research rig, I felt my AMG table played nicely in that league. Then I made the move to the Etsuro gold cartridge, and while I was very happy the AMG was able to represent, when I added Pilium, Alsyvox, Bayz, and Diesis I knew my front end would need to elevate. I have always dreamt of having a world class turntable, and there are so many options. The Vyger, I feel, gets up into the big leagues, without the stratospheric prices of some. Which is a good thing, because my Rossini also needs to be upgraded, even though with the TAiko extreme the digital is quite enjoyable. Not quite where I want it to be but I can listen without feeling I’m in the cheap seats. That said, if I start with digital and then move to vinyl, I usually stay listening to vinyl until the evening ends.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
When I had my Wilson Alexia/audio research rig, I felt my AMG table played nicely in that league. Then I made the move to the Etsuro gold cartridge, and while I was very happy the AMG was able to represent, when I added Pilium, Alsyvox, Bayz, and Diesis I knew my front end would need to elevate. I have always dreamt of having a world class turntable, and there are so many options. The Vyger, I feel, gets up into the big leagues, without the stratospheric prices of some. Which is a good thing, because my Rossini also needs to be upgraded, even though with the TAiko extreme the digital is quite enjoyable. Not quite where I want it to be but I can listen without feeling I’m in the cheap seats. That said, if I start with digital and then move to vinyl, I usually stay listening to vinyl until the evening ends.
Very wise decision Bob. Such attractive turn table.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012

Interesting. If you can be so kind to walk us through the process that led you to identify and determine that the AGM table was the weakest link or limiting agent in your analog playback chain. Curious to see how you arrived at that conclusion. Don’t get me wrong, the Vyger Atlantis is a beautiful turntable and we all want what we want but I’m curious to learn how one identifies the weakest link in one’s playback chain. This is a good teachable and learning moment, as I myself, for instance, would not know how to go about making that identification, determination, or declaration without a tedious and exhaustive verification process that could be validated and repeated by others.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: the sound of Tao

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Interesting. If you can be so kind to walk us through the process that led you to identify and determine that the AGM table was the weakest link or limiting agent in your analog playback chain. Curious to see how you arrived at that conclusion. Don’t get me wrong, the Vyger Atlantis is a beautiful turntable and we all want what we want but I’m curious to learn how one identifies the weakest link in one’s playback chain. This is a good teachable and learning moment, as I myself, for instance, would not know how to go about making that identification, determination, or declaration without a tedious and exhaustive verification process that could be validated and repeated by others.
Carlos, I will let Bob answer your questions.

I will tell you how I came upon the VYGER TT's and realizing that the prior tables that I had were the "missing or weak link" to what I was looking for in vinyl playback. That being when I put even a half decent vinyl recording on the table, it blows me away with the sonics.

I went through so many TT's over the years including Linn's, VPI's, SOTAs, Well Tempered, Basis, Acoustic Signature Ascona, Micro Seike, Air Force One Premium, AF3, Kondo Ginga. I probably forgot one or two. I enjoyed vinyl through the years on all of these TTs, BUT the sound never delivered to my expectations as being what I hoped it would be. That was until I set up and played the Atlantis.

I could care less about what other people like or can repeat, that's for them to do. I only care about what I hear and experience. I know when I hear something if it blows me away and that's all that matters to me.

I also am not a set up two or three whatever items to do an exhaustive comparison. Some people thrive on that, not me. I like to live with something for six months, a year, maybe two years. Then do the same with something else. Then after living with two or three whatever items for an extended period of time I understand fully how one item compares with another.

All of the former tables in my 50 years of playing vinyl now are perceived by me as the weak links, according to my expectations, of what I expected from vinyl.

YMMV and like I said if Bob wants to entertain your questioning I'm sure he will.

EDIT- I knew I forgot a few - Goldmund, SME and AVid.

Last edited:

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Carlos, I will let Bob answer your questions.

I will tell you how I came upon the VYGER TT's and realizing that the prior tables that I had were the "missing or weak link" to what I was looking for in vinyl playback. That being when I put even a half decent vinyl recording on the table, it blows me away with the sonics.

I went through so many TT's over the years including Linn's, VPI's, SOTAs, Well Tempered, Basis, Acoustic Signature Ascona, Micro Seike, Air Force One Premium, AF3, Kondo Ginga. I probably forgot one or two. I enjoyed vinyl through the years on all of these TTs, BUT the sound never delivered to my expectations as being what I hoped it would be. That was until I set up and played the Atlantis.

I could care less about what other people like or can repeat, that's for them to do. I only care about what I hear and experience. I know when I hear something if it blows me away and that's all that matters to me.

I also am not a set up two or three whatever items to do an exhaustive comparison. Some people thrive on that, not me. I like to live with something for six months, a year, maybe two years. Then do the same with something else. Then after living with two or three whatever items for an extended period of time I understand fully how one item compares with another.

All of the former tables in my 50 years of playing vinyl now are perceived by me as the weak links, according to my expectations, of what I expected from vinyl.

YMMV and like I said if Bob wants to entertain your questioning I'm sure he will.
You seem to be able to make great leaps as I’m sure that all those turntables “in my 50 years of playing vinyl now are perceived by me as the weak links, according to my expectations, of what I expected from vinyl” where not listen to in the same context.

You see, besides my technical background, I’m also fortunate enough to have a incredible amount of equipment here at home. One thing, that having all this great gear has thought me, and which you should know by now with 50 years of experience, is that the performance of any one component is dependent on the rest of the system. I have yet to find a piece of equipment that is universally the best or better than all others of its kind. It is all perceived in relative terms and not in absolute terms. You can sell your story but I would hope that you know better than that. Don’t drink too much of your own kool-aide because it will only stay true until the next equipment line comes along.

I don’t doubt that you feel like you do, from time to time I feel the same way about a certain piece, only to be proved wrong by another piece in the same room. I like to build systems that sound better than the sum of their parts, and through doing this it has shown me that it is very difficult or near impossible to isolate the inherent contribution of any one component, to make these kind of statements with such strong conviction.

Reactions: microstrip

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
You seem to be able to make great leaps as I’m sure that all those turntables “in my 50 years of playing vinyl now are perceived by me as the weak links, according to my expectations, of what I expected from vinyl” where not listen to in the same context.

You see, besides my technical background, I’m also fortunate enough to have a incredible amount of equipment here at home. One thing, that having all this great gear has thought me, and which you should know by now with 50 years of experience, is that the performance of any one component is dependent on the rest of the system. I have yet to find a piece of equipment that is universally the best or better than all others of its kind. It is all perceived in relative terms and not in absolute terms. You can sell your story but I would hope that you know better than that. Don’t drink too much of your own kool-aide because it will only stay true until the next equipment line comes along.

I don’t doubt that you feel like you do from time to time I feel the same way about a certain piece only to be proved wrong by another piece in the same room. I like to build systems that sound better than the sum of their parts, and through doing that it has shown me that it is very difficult or near impossible to isolate the inherent contribution of any one component, to make these kind of statements with such strong conviction.
Whatever. Not really interested in your assertions. I like my Kool-Aid, I make it myself, for myself, and for many others that enjoy it then as well.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Whatever. Not really interested in your assertions. I like my Kool-Aid, I make it myself, for myself, and for many others that enjoy it then as well.
You headed down the off ramp pretty quick there Bob. The right move. The water was only going to get deeper.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
You headed down the off ramp pretty quick there Bob. The right move. The water was only going to get deeper.
Like I said, not interested in your assertions.

Reactions: Carlos269

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Last night had a wine dinner — wine I would not care for individually came alive with the right food. Pairing can take an average wine to new heights, turning it into an experience.

I seldom like wine on its own without the right dish to pair with. Some Prosecco, sparkling wine. Have Sauternes with and without blue cheese. It is boring without, amazing with

Reactions: Bobvin

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
  • Haha
Reactions: Rhapsody

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Woo-hoo, just committed to adding an Atlantis to my rig. The AMG has served me well for almost a decade but I turn 65 next month so Happy Birthday to me!
Congrats, on both :cool:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Asking her out? With yet ANOTHER power cords comparison to arrange?
C'mon guys, priorities, priorities...

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Carlos, I spent a fair amount of time yesterday evening writing what I considered a thoughtful response to your questions. After rereading several times I can condense it down quite easily… unlike others on this forum who like to delve deeply into their thought processes, who analyze and scrutinize endlessly, I am not so much driven by the deep dive. I have a table I’ve listened to now for almost ten years, it was a stretch for me budget-wise when I bought it. It has served me well and is quite competent. I have heard and read about a lot of tables that I‘m sure would be a step up vs. the AMG.

I can be impulsive, but for a big purchase I frequently turn to reliable friends for advice. I read reviews, and this forum. Occasionally a component comes along that has a consensus of being a top performer. The Vyger Atlantis is such a component. It had always been on my short-list of for a turntable upgrade if and when I could afford it.

Unlike the Pilium amps and Alsyvox, Bayz, and Diesis speakers, Bob has always said he wouldn’t care if I were to have other components in-house that were not Rhapsody offerings. I still use the CS Port phono stage, bespoke LFD phono cable, Etsuro MasterGold cartridge — I’m even still using my Transparent signal and Shunyata power cables. Before CS Port developed a North American distributor, I contemplated going down that path. Distributor would have been a stretch, dealer a possibility. But I really am not interested in getting all commercial and am very happy to be a place folks can come hear the previously mentioned brands in a private setting. Some folks like what they hear and act on that. I enjoy being part of their journey.

As I said, I can be impulsive. My colleague in Dallas just got his Atlantis setup and has said how gobsmacked he was, even suggesting the Atlantis bettered the Ginga he’d been enjoying. I’ve been wanting to make a change, the Atlantis is the new shiny penny to me. It screams “YES, I AM A TURNTABLE, AND A DAMN SEXY ONE”

So I bought one.

Last edited:

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Carlos, I spent a fair amount of time yesterday evening writing what I thought might be a thoughtful response to your questions. After rereading several times I can condense it down quite easily… unlike others on this forum who like to delve deeply into their thought processes, who analyze and scrutinize endlessly, I am not so much driven by the deep dive. I have a table I’ve listened to now for almost ten years, it was a stretch for me budget-wise when I bought it. It has served me well and is quite competent. I have heard and read about a lot of tables that I‘m sure would be a step up vs. the AMG.

I can be impulsive, but for a big purchase I frequently turn to reliable friends for advice. I read reviews and this forum. Occasionally a component comes along that has a consensus of being a top performer. The Vyger Atlantis is such a component. It had always been on my short-list of candidates for a turntable upgrade if and when I could afford it.

Unlike the Pilium amps and Alsyvox, Bayz, and Diesis speakers, Bob has always said he wouldn’t care if I were to have other components in-house that were not Rhapsody offerings. I still use the CS Port phono stage, bespoke LFD phono cable, Etsuro MasterGold cartridge — I’m even still using my Transparent signal cables and Shunyata power cables. Before CS Port developed a North American distributor, I contemplated going down that path. Distributor would have been a stretch, dealer a possibility. But I really am not interested in getting all commercial and am very happy to be a place folks can come hear the previously mentioned brands in a private setting. Some folks like what they hear and act on that. I enjoy being part of their journey.

As I said, I can be impulsive. My colleague in Dallas just got his Atlantis setup and has said how gobsmacked he was, even suggesting the Atlantis bettered the Ginga he’d been enjoying. I’ve been wanting to make a change, the Atlantis is the new shiny penny to me. It screams “YES, I AM A TURNTABLE, AND A DAMN SEXY ONE”

So I bought one.

An honest response. Yes these are Big Boy Toys and we all enjoy having a new toy to play with. Enjoy the new turntable, the Vyger Atlantis is one of the nicest turntables out there. It will be interesting to read your reports of how it performs compared to your AMG set up. Like others, the psychological element of the new sound will be hard to asses as different or better.

Last edited:

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I seldom like wine on its own without the right dish to pair with. Some Prosecco, sparkling wine. Have Sauternes with and without blue cheese. It is boring without, amazing with
Should you visit, I will be happy to share an Oregon pinot that at least competes with some of the best from Burgundy and is quite delicious, savored on its own sitting in the sweet spot. ;)

Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing