Wadax World Premiere at Munich Highend

Correct me if I’m wrong but it has digital outputs
but is limited as all transports

what Wadax needs to do is as MSB and other makers have done
Create a chain that’s makes for the higher data rate

Now having said the above
I do want this product , yes wish it had Network storage but this is not a deal breaker for me
my side hope is roon or j river they also have a desktop version too to find local storage.
after hearing there flagships they clearly are not like any other digital
I can’t find any one box solutions that has these features in one box like this.
it seems today multiple boxes is needed lol.
Then it’s cost seems reasonable and when your company has the scale of top cost equipment as Wadax does , it’s very reasonable to me.
one last question from me is who is on the list to get certification lol.

what Wadax needs to do is as MSB and other makers have done
Create a chain that’s makes for the higher data rate

Now having said the above
I do want this product , yes wish it had Network storage but this is not a deal breaker for me
my side hope is roon or j river they also have a desktop version too to find local storage.
after hearing there flagships they clearly are not like any other digital
I can’t find any one box solutions that has these features in one box like this.
it seems today multiple boxes is needed lol.
Then it’s cost seems reasonable and when your company has the scale of top cost equipment as Wadax does , it’s very reasonable to me.
one last question from me is who is on the list to get certification lol.
MSB does not have a stand alone transport/dac/streamer. so this is a niche product for particular customers with 6 figure digital performance for $35k. but it's not all things to all people. but for instance; i cannot think of a better digital product for a high performance headphone only user. wow! small footprint considering it covers all the bases.

of course; it does have to have very special performance. which by reports, it does. i look forward to hearing it.

there will be later STUDIO series separates addressing your concerns.

Last edited:
MSB does not have a stand alone transport/dac/streamer. so this is a niche product for particular customers with 6 figure digital performance for $35k. but it's not all things to all people. but for instance; i cannot think of a better digital product for a high performance headphone only user. wow! small footprint considering it covers all the bases.

of course; it does have to have very special performance. which by reports, it does. i look forward to hearing it.

there will be later STUDIO series separates addressing your concerns.
From what I can glean, the Studio Player does CD/SACD disc playing and streaming...presumably from a computer. Does that mean you can hook up a Taiko Olympus or Wadax Server to it? I could not see any more traditional digital inputs.

From what I can glean, the Studio Player does CD/SACD disc playing
yes.
and streaming...presumably from a computer.
no, it takes ethernet directly and can host Tidal and Spotify, but not Roon or any server for files as far as i know.
Does that mean you can hook up a Taiko Olympus or Wadax Server to it? I could not see any more traditional digital inputs.
no. no digital inputs. the only input is ethernet for streaming. it does have a clock input/output and a power supply input. so the performance can be boosted with future chassis in the que.

it could be used as a CD (only) transport as it does output PCM through the ASEBU xlr and rca.

there is also an on board volume control; not clear how good it is. i know that at Munich it sounded very fine.

Reactions: Alrainbow
yes.

no, it takes ethernet directly and can host Tidal and Spotify, but not Roon or any server for files as far as i know.

no. no digital inputs. the only input is ethernet for streaming. it does have a clock input/output and a power supply input. so the performance can be boosted with future chassis in the que.

it could be used as a CD (only) transport as it does output PCM through the ASEBU xlr and rca.

there is also an on board volume control; not clear how good it is. i know that at Munich it sounded very fine.
Thanks, Mike. Helpful. Definitely a space worth watching.

yes.

That s a bit of a bummer , no digital inputs
I like to Watch movies / documentaries and play the audio via my DAC / high end system.
Also hooking up a computer and play you tube via the DAC is cool.

Does the SOTA Atlantis DAC have digital inputs ?

Last edited:
That s a bit of a bummer .
I like to Watch movies / documentaries and play the audio via my high end system.
Also hooking up a computer / you tube into the DAC is cool
it's not a preamp, it's a source. i realize it's tempting to expect it to solve every issue. and personally i wish it did touch all your bases as i agree it seems like the right sort of piece for you....as you appreciate the Wadax performance.

without an exhaustive review of choices it's best to not get into absolutes, but my 'expectation' would be that there is nothing that will touch it for performance, in a one box choice, or even at double that price point. so being compromised in it's expansion is the right trade-off. it's perfectly limited.

the Wadax STUDIO series will have other 'separates' coming which will offer those choices.

Last edited:
No , cant have everything apparently
Seems like a small thing they could add easily .
And what about your SOTA ref DAC ?
Strictly for music use too, / no digital inputs ?
it's got everything (with a price to go with it), although since most use the Akasa optical interface with the Ref Server. some of the alternate input choices are on an optional added module. and it's designed to accommodate any future interface options.

so any digital input can be used.

Reactions: andromedaaudio
ATLANTIS has USB too

Output Level: 1V / 2V / 4V
Output impedance: 0.4 / 7.4 / 7.5 / 8.2 / 8.3 / 8.7 / 8.82 / 9.84 / 10 / 28.57 / 30 / 46.15 / 50 / 66.67 / 75 / 600 ohms

Inputs: USB (32-384KHz, 16-24-32 bits, DSD64, DSD128, DSD256, MQA),
2xSPDIF RCA (32KHz-192KHz, 16-24 bits)
2xSPDIF BNC (32KHz-192KHz, 16-24 bits)
2xAES-EBU (32KHz-192KHz, 16-24 bits)
Native Reference Wadax Link (native PCM, DSD), 3xAES-EBU, 1 RJ45
Optional: WADAX Akasa Optical Module

yes.

To me I would still use a preamp but it’s very interesting that they allow for gain and imp output
This ideal puts them way ahead of most
I can’t think of anyone who does this

No , cant have everything apparently
Seems like a small thing they could add easily .
obviously Wadax has created a new 'entry' STUDIO line up and giving the first piece everything is not going to promote the future separates coming down the line.

can some explain the Akasa cable
is it optical or power or both ?
AKASA is the name givien to the cables . It is a sanscript term Im told. There is an AKASA optical cable and there are AKASA DC power cables.
So they have both AL

To me I would still use a preamp but it’s very interesting that they allow for gain and imp output
This ideal puts them way ahead of most
I can’t think of anyone who does this

You can set the gain for 3 output levels for use without a pre amp.
Afaik its not an adjustable volume control

Atlantis and studio are the same in that regard .

So use without a pre amp is kinda limited off course .
( I m quit sure with pre amp the sound is better as well )

Last edited:
The studio player sounded terrific in botht he rooms I heard it in at MOC> In the Wadax room driving amps directly ( ARC) and in the Gobel room being fed into a Pilium preamplifier.. It can be used both ways.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu