Which Brand Have You Owned for 20 Years?

Martin Logan and Primare for 40 years, MBL and Krell for 20 plus years, Krell not much in use anymore. :rolleyes:

• Wow
Reactions: Johan K
Townshend (Elite)
Dynavector
Naim, though for four of those 20 years it was only their speaker cable.

Reactions: Scott Naylor
Avantgarde speakers - Unos, then Duos, now Duo XDs - from 2002 till today

Home-built Wharfedale Airedale speakers (1960's design) - for 30 years or so - with changes of drivers and XO to KEF

Are all of these companies being mentioned still in business? Just tried to do a search of some of these and can't find anything??

20+ years:
- Aesthetix Io phono
- Avid Acutus (but alas it was sold)
- Cary Audio (various: CD player, SACD player, 1610 monoblocks, 211 FE monoblocks, solid state monoblocks, multichannel
amp)
- Nordost (cables)
- Marantz (2270 receiver until it died, 8805 processor)
- tubes: Telefunken, RCA, Sylvania, KR Audio, Western Electric, Mullard, Brimar, Bugle Boy, Mazda

Some of my records I have had since 1975.

Last edited:
I have 2 items that are over 30yrs old.
Sims Navcom silencers, I use them beneath my LTA zotl tube pre-amp.
I also have a Nakamichi PA5. I’d bet it’s 34yrs old. Nicest sounding amp I’ve owned.

Purchased my first Spectral pre and power in 1993. Upgraded preamp in 2015 and amp two years ago. Always reliable.

Reactions: T Boost
Jadis JP80-MC since 1994, although it was modified in the early 2000’s.
Avalon speaker…started with Ascents Mk2 in late 90’s; Eidelon Diamond and presently a pair of Times.
Walker Proscenium TT purchased used in 2006. Updates followed.
A number of Koetsu cartridges, now switching between Coralstone Diamond and Urishi.
Convergent Audio…JL 1 Limited Edition mono blocks in late 90’s; moved into the Jl2 Signature, which was upgraded to Black Path.
Telefunken tubes throughout.
Black Diamond Racing (BDR) shelf and cones.

Reactions: T Boost and mtemur
Vandersteen loudspeakers and subwoofers - use started in 2002 with Model 3A Signature. I own and enjoy other loudspeakers by Audio Physic, Focal, JBL, Magnepan, and Yamaha, but my Vandersteen gear has always scratched a unique itch. In the Vandersteen line, I currently run Quatro Wood CT loudspeakers with a pair of SUB THREE subwoofers.

Reactions: T Boost and Steveo
Which brand of audio component have you owned continuously for 20 years?

Does this pertain to the same component -- or to a series of components from that brand -- over the course of 20 years?

Thanks to Kingrex for suggesting a thread on this topic.
I've owned several audio products for two decades: an Audio Research PH3 (reconditioned recently), a TEAC V-3010 cassette deck (still working), a Power Wedge Ultra power conditioner, and a Prima Luna ProLogue Two integrated amp (not sure if it is the full 20 years, but long long time, and recently reconditioned). There's a long-lasting pair of Vandersteen Model iC speakers I've listen to for at least 10-15 years. I've owned an Oracle Delphi turntable since 1989, still working but I'm told the motor can no longer be replaced. There's an ancient Ortofon Black Diamond cartridge mated with it for 20 years. I use these products in a third system I keep set up. Don't much like wheeling and dealing audio gear. Constant upgrades, while tempting, just aren't for me although I have purchased new gear recently.

Conrad Johnson, continuous string of amps and preamps for 35 years. Gone now in favor of Burmester.

Linn LP12, upgraded regularly as factory offered retrofit replacement parts. Still love and use the LP12 after 40 years. Also presently use Dual, and Clearaudio.

VPI Record Cleaning Machines, every model they’ve made over 40 years. Gone now in favor of Clearaudio Double Matrix Pro Sonic. What an upgrade!

McIntosh, main system electronics before my love affair with CJ began. Minor players in my systems, but always present in some way.

Had Ortofon for over 20 years, but now gone in favor of Lyra and Clearaudio. Shure for even longer… still have a Shure mounted for 78s on the Dual.

Straight Wire and Van den Hul interconnects… both were used for over 20 years, and are still here, but no longer in use. Transparent and AudioQuest have displaced them.

Sony … more for audio/video than 2 channel audio.

These come to mind quickly.

A lot of what I own I've had for 20-40ish years. None of it is in the league you guys seem to play in but:
Celestion DL-8 II speakers have been my main system speakers for 30 or so years.
Technics SL-QL1 is still in service in my living room. 40ish years (got it when they first came out)
JVC cassette deck and cd player from the very late 80's. Both still in service.
Some original NHT SuperZeros 1994-6?

A lot of what I own I've had for 20-40ish years. None of it is in the league you guys seem to play in but:
Celestion DL-8 II speakers have been my main system speakers for 30 or so years.
Technics SL-QL1 is still in service in my living room. 40ish years (got it when they first came out)
JVC cassette deck and cd player from the very late 80's. Both still in service.
Some original NHT SuperZeros 1994-6?
I still remember my Celestion SL6si speakers...what a fantastic speaker that was particularly when bought as demo. A few hundred bucks and where it played well, just sublime.

Reactions: DasguteOhr
Conrad Johnson, continuous string of amps and preamps for 35 years. Gone now in favor of Burmester.

Fascinating as someone who owned CJ for 20 consecutive years...and then moved to Robert Koda. I know that Myles Astor went from CJ for probably decades as well over to Burmester. Is the Burmester something for you that is an evolution of the CJ sound but presumably better in some ways for you...or was it a departure from the CJ house sound into a new direction you preferred?

Fascinating as someone who owned CJ for 20 consecutive years...and then moved to Robert Koda. I know that Myles Astor went from CJ for probably decades as well over to Burmester. Is the Burmester something for you that is an evolution of the CJ sound but presumably better in some ways for you...or was it a departure from the CJ house sound into a new direction you preferred?

Lloyd

Myles has Goldmund amps.

I still remember my Celestion SL6si speakers...what a fantastic speaker that was particularly when bought as demo. A few hundred bucks and where it played well, just sublime.
The successor is still a damn good loudspeaker SL 600 love it.with MF david amp.4254184_orig.jpg

Thorens Td 124 over 30years, like a vw bettle runs forever
Ortofon vero cartridge ,audio technica- art 1 first titaniumbody cartridge over 30years
Raphael audio kit tube amps over 20years ..a masterpiece
Laurin speaker cables i never sell away soo good

Last edited:
Symphonic Line Kraft power since 1999 (one refurbishment)
Simon Yorke TT (1996)

Are you converting to D’Agostino instead ?
I am using MBL amps in my big rig these days, i am sure D'Agostino is excellent but without Björn i do not want the unreliable circuitry of Dan's designs, Krell just breaks to much, D'Agostino looks to me like Krell on steroids. In the 20 years of MBL ownership i have not had one break down, my Krell gear was always broken. I just bought a old Primare CD player so i can get the dac chips i need to fix the KPS 25sc that is broken, maybe for the 10 time, out of the 4 dac chips 3 have failed already. The bad design and heat just kills Krell.

• Wow
Reactions: Johan K

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu