Windows 10 ?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Microsoft must be in search of a professional team of computer programmer experts ...
...No kidding!
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasone...s-10-sd-usb-storage-drive-update-blocked/amp/

And, you better have enough free required storage, 32GB minimum for the May Update of Windows 10 ...
https://pureinfotech.com/windows-10-1903-may-2019-update-32gb-minimum-storage/amp/

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Just finished downloading and installing the latest Windows 10 1809 cumulative update 64 bit KB4497934
All went very smoothly and took 40 minutes from start to finish which was a relief.
Everything seems to be working fine

Reactions: NorthStar

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I have several software programs (namely Pyramix MassCore) that will not run on the newest ver. of 10. I had to disable updates......

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Just finished downloading and installing the latest Windows 10 1809 cumulative update 64 bit KB4497934
All went very smoothly and took 40 minutes from start to finish which was a relief.
Everything seems to be working fine

I'm just below you Barry...KB4494441 (that was a two-step cumulative update for 1809).
It went ok, not much time.

I guess next for you now is the Big May Update...version 1903.
...End of May.

Then I'll wait for your feedback. :):cool: ...Before I plunge all in...head first, arms/hands and legs/feet free.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Ok, some of them should take it?

Thanks Bob, particularly for the news on the 1903 update.
Will let you know how that goes when the time comes.

That's the next Big one, the one I'm following to see what to expect.
No news means good news. :)

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Reactions: NorthStar

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I'm not yet running the big one, the May Update version 1903; I'm in no rush.
I follow Windows 10 progress consistently enough to get sufficiently informed.
Just the other day I helped a family member to resurrect her computer as it went completely dark. She's up running now after a reset. She is still with Windows 7.

Anyway no big news for the last month or so (30 days); just the usual small stuff no one worry about much. Nothing is even remotely close to chaos in the computer world with Windows 10. But all is not smooth sailing either as it's pretty much the norm with some of the users. Personally I had three or four updates in the last month alone; 75% of them were done automatically with the PC hibernating. It went relatively smooth with the usual few resets I needed to do and the normal wait period for things to stabilize, the usual routine.

Windows 10 is not the best picnic @ the park with family watching the baseball game with your kids playing. But then Windows 10 has nothing to do with that.

Earlier this morning I was reading the usual Microsoft Windows 10 strut and stroll ... from a Forbes article ...

https://www-forbes-com.cdn.ampproje...ng-dell-diagnostics-security-upgrade-windows/

Except that here I noticed some bigger numbers than usual.
Should we be concerned some of us? Not one cent, but it is still nice to be informed.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I installed 1903 on 3 computers 2-3 weeks ago and everything has been fine. No issues with the install and the systems are running fine. I have’t noticed much of a difference but my guess is that it is more stable and more secure.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Microsoft Windows 10 in the spotlight, again!

? https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...s-10-upgrade-vpn-warning-upgrade-windows/amp/

The clock keeps ticking, and not only for Windows 7 users but for a bunch more users of Windows 10. Microsoft seems to not be able to have any sort of control/testing without issues, zero.
How long it's been now? It depends who you're asking; anywhere from roughly ten years to the last two years (worst overall).

Personally I use Windows 10 (without the May 1903 update) less that 1% total?
I have less than zero trust and I'm in no rush to explore.
Reading all the major Windows 10 issue headlines gives me a bad stomachache and headache.

Hope is futile ...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I still haven't update to version 1903 ...

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/14/tech/windows-10-microsoft-security-update-trnd/index.html
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...te-error-warning-upgrade-windows#243bbfeb5f93

EXTRA:

To be fair Microsoft just do the same as others do, they simply follow that trend without being different than anyone else. The day our privacy will be protected that'll be the day ...

* Yesterday my friend was told to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 because it won't work anymore. Pure baloney from a computer store. Windows 7 won't have support anymore with updates and security, but it will still work...for another ten years or more.
Sure some features might disappeared and it will become more vulnerable to hackers and malware and viruses, but it will still work.

One of my sisters was receiving messages on her Windows 7 laptop that she'd better upgrade to Windows 7. Couple months ago her laptop went completely black and totally dead.
She called me to tell me that she was shopping for a new laptop and asking me advice.
I gave her some super easy steps and within few minutes her Windows 7 laptop was running 100% perfect. She sure was happy. I told her the scoop about Windows 7 and that it'll be working for many years to come, with few caveats of course.

Faith & Fear ... that'll be the title of my new book, on the state of computer affairs ... lol

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
My personal experience is that Windows 10 is more stable than Windows 7. I also believe that all the effort being put towards security is in 10, not 7. Thus, I would not recommend people run 7.

I have had no issue with 1903 since I installed it on 3 computers.

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
Everything I know from reading or experience tells me if you're going to use your Windows desktop or laptop for anything financial, use Windows 10 and keep applying the updates.

Reactions: dminches

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I agree about Windows 10 versus Windows 7 in regards to updates and support and security.

I posted the above simply on the latest news plus that little extra on privacy.

My friend is running Windows 7 on his computer, but Windows 10 on his laptop.
He's using his computer 95% of the time if not more.
It's not easy to switch over after so many years...he's been on Windows 7 since the very beginning, and happy with it.

My sister Sophie, she's in a similar boat, except she knows nothing about Windows 10.

My other sister Josee the same but it's about to change now with her super pro business laptop coming up her way.

Me I'm used by now with Windows 10, and version 1903 I simply wait till the very last second, that's all. I'm never in a rush with anything, just the way I enjoy relaxing.

I'm not an expert, I dit have my fair share of issues, all type, and probably less than other's own issues. One of my brothers is an Apple's customer...for the last fifteen years if not more...twenty.
All his family are Apple's people, and one of them even works for Apple.
I think he has experienced much less issues than I over the years, overall.
But he sure had his too.

I believe in upgrading as well in this computer world. And comes a time it is necessary.
...No matter if you're Microsoft customer or Apple. That's the name of the game...upgrading.
I will too, it's fun.
_____

? https://www.howtogeek.com/437112/whats-new-in-windows-10s-19h2-update-arriving-fall-2019/amp/

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing