Zero Distortion: Tango Time

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
That Golden Age is gone, never to return. Citröen in the immediate post war period had the liberty to spend billions of Francs to develop the DS (that I drive), in many ways still unsurpassed 65 years later, and at the modern day equivalent of €100k per car, selling 1.5 million over 20 years, they STILL made a loss.

Post war hot house engineering at it's best, never to be replicated.

W music, it's such a shame, but it's a throw away commodity. WE here all value it, and those who support the classical and jazz live scene do, but the other 95% of the market?...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Tao, I agree with your last para. Even today I don't feel I require an analog set up after listening to so many great ones. The reason for buying it is is absolute fidelity, hobby (need something to fiddle around with and investigate), and to listen to some performances not available in good quality on digital

Reactions: the sound of Tao

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
That Golden Age is gone, never to return. Citröen in the immediate post war period had the liberty to spend billions of Francs to develop the DS (that I drive), in many ways still unsurpassed 65 years later, and at the modern day equivalent of €100k per car, selling 1.5 million over 20 years, they STILL made a loss.

Post war hot house engineering at it's best, never to be replicated.

W music, it's such a shame, but it's a throw away commodity. WE here all value it, and those who support the classical and jazz live scene do, but the other 95% of the market?...
Pop music has always been disposable, that’s what makes it bearable. But every age has great music still, seriously substantial music whether it’s contemporary jazz or RnB or Rock or whatever. I am sure that many a pop lute tune from the early middle ages has been gratefully expunged through time by its lack substance. Not every tune has been a true goddess like your Citroen Marc.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tao, I was more meaning the cost no object approach to engineering and recording post war to early 70s.
Disposable pop will always be an unwelcome companion.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Disposable wealth is also a thing of the past for the middle class I fear. (Edit just in case the like isn’t withdrawn for me going soap boxy). The disappearance of peak oil is going to be a lasting pain for technology and society alike. There’s just no such thing as a free lunch any more.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hmm, cue 95% of high end sales in SE Asia, certainly not in Europe.

zerostargeneral

Apr 14, 2018
Dear Tao,

You ask important questions with unbridled eloquence.

Gideon Kremer and Alfred Brendel did their best work outside of the golden era yet manage to enthral and entertain at every turn.

Lineage is key to a lot of what made said era so definitive in subjective terms only.

Kreisler was better than any violinist that currently tours now.

Kindest regards,G.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
My favourite Midnight Oils (Oz pub band from my youth) lyrics... the rich get richer... boutique sales of extraordinary goods to the mega rich will likely be fine going forward.

Reactions: DaveC

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Dear Tang,

This recording is magnificent,Bach double is in my top 100.

This is excellent G!! This hobby is getting more and more about music itself for me now. It will be an interesting ride searching for my future 99.

Kindest regards,
Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
My favourite Midnight Oils (Oz pub band from my youth) lyrics... the rich get richer... boutique sales of extraordinary goods to the mega rich will likely be fine going forward.

Remember trickle down economics

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Dear Tao,

You ask important questions with unbridled eloquence.

Gideon Kremer and Alfred Brendel did their best work outside of the golden era yet manage to enthral and entertain at every turn.

Lineage is key to a lot of what made said era so definitive in subjective terms only.

Kreisler was better than any violinist that currently tours now.

Kindest regards,G.

You set the bar on characteristic colour and gentility G. You are kind.

I still enjoy Kremer’s recordings (thinking of a work by Arvo Part now) and Alfred Brendel is an all time absolute piano favourite. I sometimes read everyone’s latest golden era finds and I go and have a listen again. It’s been much of the joy for me in yours and Bills and Keds and Tangs vinyl too and froing (does that sound right??) as I go and listen to things afresh... will go now and get me some Kreisler thank you. Appreciated.
Cheers
Tao

Reactions: zerostargeneral

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Ps: I am writing quickly as we are walking around Venice. Apologies if I missed addressing any point

You are so freakin terrible man. Your GF was an angel to give you a surprise trip for your BD..to Venice. Gian said she picked the right place because there is no audio shop in Venice. But yet you still texting while walking with her. I bet you were doing this when she was in a souvenir shop. I highly propose Steve the Chief to ban Bonzo from the forum for a week to punish him for such inappropriate act he made to his GF.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I've just properly discovered Discogs. In conjunction w the tenor of this thread, I can see all my spare cash disappearing.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You are so freakin terrible man. Your GF was an angel to give you a surprise trip for your BD..to Venice. Gian said she picked the right place because there is no audio shop in Venice. But yet you still texting while walking with her. I bet you were doing this when she was in a souvenir shop. I highly propose Steve the Chief to ban Bonzo from the forum for a week to punish him for such inappropriate act he made to his GF.

She also had booked tickets for an opera called Stateira by a lesser known baroque era composer Tomaso Albinoni. Excellent

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
She also had booked tickets for an opera called Stateira by a lesser known baroque era composer Tomaso Albinoni. Excellent

Lol. Albinoni’s “Adagio” is so well known, it typically inhabits the top 100 classical pop lists.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

we could never do that. A daily dose of Ked in the AM is essential to start the day

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
So here's a line that is guaranteed to get me thrown out of any music appreciation club- Heifetz has never done if for me. Mistake free and flawless he is quite often, but for moving me to joy or tears, he has never lit me up. i can't say I have a favorite fiddle player, but I do have some favorites on selected pieces. I love Bell on the Beethoven, Leila Josefowicz on the Tchaikovsky, Gil Shaham on the Sibelius, Vengerov and Shaham on the Prokofiev and for most of the "kings" of romantic repertoire such as Bruch and Mendelssohn, I'm highly drawn to Michael Rabin. I wish I knew why Heifetz always leaves my deeply appreciative, but rarely moved by his playing. Rabin, on the other hand, always rips my heart out and makes me incredibly sad that we lost him at such an early age (35). I also admit that when given the option, I'll generally seek out better modern recordings rather than find older performances of the mighty masters of the past.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
So here's a line that is guaranteed to get me thrown out of any music appreciation club- Heifetz has never done if for me. Mistake free and flawless he is quite often, but for moving me to joy or tears, he has never lit me up. i can't say I have a favorite fiddle player, but I do have some favorites on selected pieces. I love Bell on the Beethoven, Leila Josefowicz on the Tchaikovsky, Gil Shaham on the Sibelius, Vengerov and Shaham on the Prokofiev and for most of the "kings" of romantic repertoire such as Bruch and Mendelssohn, I'm highly drawn to Michael Rabin. I wish I knew why Heifetz always leaves my deeply appreciative, but rarely moved by his playing. Rabin, on the other hand, always rips my heart out and makes me incredibly sad that we lost him at such an early age (35). I also admit that when given the option, I'll generally seek out better modern recordings rather than find older performances of the mighty masters of the past.

Hi Marty,

Whilst we aren’t aligned on Heifetz, we are truly aligned on Rabin. What a tragic loss of an outstanding violinist. I love his Bruch Scottish Fantasy and Paganini Caprices among others.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing