Zero Distortion: Tango Time

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes tasteful and mature!! Finally we are discussing performance and music and not the merits of gear. If you can’t agree that this is tasteful and mature, then clearly we are diametrically opposed in our core value sets. Will leave you to HRS damping plates, Marc.

To clarify, I am all for discussing merits of gear but using the right audition music, rather than saying component A sounds good because it does the sound of the bullets whizzing around the room better. Also it adds a dimension to how you want to stack your expenses

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Ahhhr... Is this a Brit thing?

Tang o_O

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ahhhr... Is this a Brit thing?

Tang o_O

Yes Marc is like a Brit who threatens to exit (the thread) but then remains

Reactions: Lagonda

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I meant how you guys flower talking to each other.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tang, love means having those really tough conversations w each other.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Or one person in the relationship nagging relentlessly and irrationally

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Basil and Sybil ;)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
5D4DE798-F12C-4B7B-A423-ED04B49B36CE.jpeg

I like Jacqueline Du Pre very very much. On Elgar I don't look for other cellist but her. Actually I did but she always comes on top. This is a special piece that hit my sentimental gland every time I hear. Anyway I have two versions. The one on the left is a live version with Barenboim/Philadelphia Orchestra, CBS record. I bought for £15.99. The one on the right is with Barbirolli/LSO, HMV. The General found me the original one which is more expensive. I find the live version a lot more engaging. The recording sounds like a mono where microphone was placed nearer to Du Pre. The sound of orchestra is more secondary, not neatly laid out or span out. And on crescendo there is this emotional heart grabbing attack but microphone did not capture instrument separation very well. Somehow the live recording seems to have a more naked transparency...just less veil and you can hear depth and dimension of the event better. A lot of coughing too. This is not the case that I just like the performance with Barenboim better but the sound imo is also better. I havent recorded the piece from my system. But this is the same performance from youtube.

Tang

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Nice, I had a few of hers on my want list (it grows all the time, even though I try to shrink it)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Tang, in the YouTube music video of Elgar Cello Concerto with Jacqueline Du Pré, there is something very quick appearing @ exactly 5:41 from the top of the screen and disappearing as quickly in the same direction. Do you know what it was?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tang, in the YouTube music video of Elgar Cello Concerto with Jacqueline Du Pré, there is something very quick appearing @ exactly 5:41 from the top of the screen and disappearing as quickly in the same direction. Do you know what it was?
I think it is Barenboim's hand conducting. He stood right infront of Du Pre.

Tang

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I found my 80's Brit pop treasures after 35 years. I am so happy. Bring back fond memory of my youth. These vinyls are super mint. Quality of today's records just cannot match. My system is nowhere near as good as my B&O in my car playing this music though. In fact... suck! :p

2662D18A-29AD-414B-8129-E072D02CEBC5.jpeg

Tang

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I like the du pre elgar with Barbirolli very much. I haven't heard the one with Barenboim. With him I like her Haydn boccherini.

My preference is also for live recordings where they are well recorded so will try. I have the Kogan Beethoven from the same Melodiya series as yours and prefer it to his much more expensive 5k original or the the ERC. There is a something very real about live performances and more so if the venue ambience is well captured.

And yes, Alisa Weilerstein, whom Barenboim rated as next best to du pre, is performing Elgar here this Dec

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I will post more interesting pieces at accessible price. I will avoid posting very expensive ones. I have many hit and miss's. I like a lot new contemporary music but 99% of whatI bought turned out to go to my one time wonder bin..they sucked! sonically. I am focusing into classical now because the more I listen the more I like and I have a lot less hit n miss's. For Classical the miss's are mostly because of surface noises. To reduce hit n miss's we need to participate more in this kind of "showoff." And Ked will say again that this kind of posting is driving up the price. Merry-go-round.

Tang o_O

I think you should post the very expensive pieces as at least I don't care if price goes up further and those who can afford them don't care either. By sending up the price of cheaper ones, the ones who can afford less get hurt. To do show off, best is to stick to playing the music without showing the LP or the actual pressing. People can then investigate the music on tidal.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Are you seeing the para normal Bob?

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I like the du pre elgar with Barbirolli very much. I haven't heard the one with Barenboim. With him I like her Haydn boccherini.

My preference is also for live recordings where they are well recorded so will try. I have the Kogan Beethoven from the same Melodiya series as yours and prefer it to his much more expensive 5k original or the the ERC. There is a something very real about live performances and more so if the venue ambience is well captured.

And yes, Alisa Weilerstein, whom Barenboim rated as next best to du pre, is performing Elgar here this Dec
You will hear what I am talking about.

Dont miss the Alisa concert then.

Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You will hear what I am talking about.

Dont miss the Alisa concert then.

Tang

I won't, I will also see her at another concert in October.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing