Zero Distortion: Tango Time

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
At the moment if you want to popularize the music you will get more YouTube hits posting the LPs on your techdas AF1p or packed up kronos than on the AS even though it might sound better on the latter. Unless DDK advertises it with 200k price tag than people will hear more density and tone unheard of before or some such thing

Last edited:
Reactions: sujay

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Density is quite commonly used Bob, Marc also uses tonal density to describe Zus often. It is also less confusing than some other hifi terminology

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I use tonal depth, sometimes tonal richness.

I think that is more equal to tonal density, and if density used on its own refers to rest of the sound too, the who stage is dense. Some components give a lighterfeel to give an example of the opposite.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I like the word "density". Where did you get it from Ked? ...TAS?
You read my mind Northstar. :D

Density from a tt? Maybe claity from a tt lead to hearing purer tone. And that purer tone one means density.

Tang

Reactions: PeterA

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Density is quite commonly used Bob, Marc also v uses tonal density to describe Zus often

Ok.

By the way, that last homemade music video by Tang...Soft Cell "Soul Inside" extended version; on his system all the classical tunes (violin, cello, flutes, with orchestras) sound so so much better.
_____

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/techdas-air-force-zero-turntable-preview/

"Another notable moment came when Mr. Nishikawa played a Louis Armstrong LP. The pitch definition was so exact that it was something of a revelation for me to listen to Armstrong’s trumpet solo: There was a density to the burnished sound that I had not previously experienced."

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I think that is more equal to tonal density, and if density used on its own refers to rest of the sound too, the who stage is dense. Some components give a lighterfeel to give an example of the opposite.

Fuller orchestrations with multiple simultaneous lines are dense - thick with sound. Brahms' symphonies and choral works are dense. Tonal depth is about purity and the fundamental relative to the instrument and relative to its clarity. Richness is depth and harmonics/overtones - the opposite is thin, less developed. These are words/phrases I use in my writing to describe sound and music. It's a bit dicey to apply such to components, or at least I try not to write that way.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Fuller orchestrations with multiple simultaneous lines are dense - thick with sound. Brahms' symphonies and choral works are dense. Tonal depth is about purity and the fundamental relative to the instrument and relative to its clarity. Richness is depth and harmonics/overtones - the opposite is thin, less developed. These are words/phrases I use in my writing to describe sound and music. It's a bit dicey to apply such to components, or at least I try not to write that way.

I agree with your description, but some components can make the symphony sound more dense as opposed to another that is lighter. Valve rolling too, some valves give a denser sound than others. Also recordings can have a denser feel, for example some original rock pressings have great bass that adds density while later pressings have very light bass

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
"Another notable moment came when Mr. Nishikawa played a Louis Armstrong LP. The pitch definition was so exact that it was something of a revelation for me to listen to Armstrong’s trumpet solo: There was a density to the burnished sound that I had not previously experienced."

Some writers use visual words - a word describing how a thing looks - to describe sound. Granted it is difficult to convey something one has, until now, never experienced. But I wonder if he really does mean 'burnished'? I don't know what that communicates.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Some writers use visual words - a word describing how a thing looks - to describe sound. Granted it is difficult to convey something one has, until now, never experienced. But I wonder if he really does mean 'burnished'? I don't know what that communicates.

Yeah I was wondering the same thing about burnished when Bob posted it. For me burnish has a tweaked up connotation, but I don't think that is what the writer was intending he meant it positively

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I agree with your description, but some components can make the symphony sound more dense as opposed to another that is lighter. Valve rolling too, some valves give a denser sound than others. Also recordings can have a denser feel, for example some original rock pressings have great bass that adds density while later pressings have very light bass

I probably would write those descriptions differently. I understand what you're trying to say. It depends on taking 'light' as the opposite or contrast to 'dense' as used in your first and last example. In my vocabulary, 'light' is not an antonym of 'dense' while words such as 'thin' or 'sparse' are. So I'd ask myself would I be willing to accept thin or sparse to make my point and if not, then I'd probably not use dense.

I'll admit is not easy being consistent over many years and found where I've used 'dense' similar to your cases, on a few occasions:

Along with his masterful use of the pedals, Horowitz’s tonal density and exquisite touch -- from the lightest pianissimo kiss to declaratively firm power -- effected a fantastical atmosphere.
Horowitz at Carnegie Hall

Amperex 7308, NOS 1963 Holland PQ shield with two stars: A bit warmer than the Telefunkens but not warmwarm; rich but not cloying, harmonically dense string tone.
Sidebar in: Lamm Industries M1.2 Reference Mono Amplifiers (pdf)

Reactions: zerostargeneral

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes, thin and sparse are good choices

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Yeah I was wondering the same thing about burnished when Bob posted it. For me burnish has a tweaked up connotation, but I don't think that is what the writer was intending he meant it positively

Writing about sound and music is hard, so a lot of latitude is given in casual forum discussion. I can put up with a certain amount of that in formal reviews but do it too often and I'll dismiss the review or the author. Music is personal and descriptions of music can be personal but words have public meaning. It's okay to stretch that meaning, but, sometimes, audio writers will use certain words/phrases they think sound good without appreciating their job is to be expository.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Burnished is a puzzling word choice here, I mean who rubs sound to make it glow? Burnished metal is reflective and brilliant and the surface is hard, it just seems a awkward fit in the context of usage. There is a desperate searching quality to this choice. The word was heroically levered into it’s poor fitting place and uncomfortably screams with a very real burnished quality... well look at me, I’m just here looking all adjectival but still somehow I’m lost for meaning, I am unclear, unhelpful and largely inaccessible... the sentence would probably look better without me.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Burnished is a puzzling word choice here, I mean who rubs sound to make it glow? Burnished metal is reflective and brilliant and the surface is hard, it just seems a awkward fit in the context of usage. There is a desperate searching quality to this choice. The word was heroically levered into it’s poor fitting place and uncomfortably screams with a very real burnished quality... well look at me, I’m just here looking all adjectival but still somehow I’m lost for meaning, I am unclear, unhelpful and largely inaccessible... the sentence would probably look better without me.

that's funny !

Reactions: the sound of Tao

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Unfortunately, it resonates with me because on the techdas thread I used the word "pimped up" to describe its bass, and burnished means similar, though his intention I am sure was different from mine

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Unfortunately, it resonates with me because on the techdas thread I used the word "pimped up" to describe its bass, and burnished means similar, though his intention I am sure was different from mine
Pimped up is just more easily stylish and bold... its colour comes from its self confidence.

Reactions: zerostargeneral

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Smooth and shiny, I'm perfectly fine with his choice..."burnished".
It conveys what he heard in Louis Armstong's voice and trumpet playing.
And this is only a preview, we don't even know which album and which particular song.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing