Zero Distortion: Tango Time

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Now that you're playing classical, come back in ten years for another go at Bartok. :)

FWIW - I have been playing and listening to classical for just over 35 years and still to this day find Bartok almost exclusively drivel. Oh well - good example that we all have different tastes I suppose.

Reactions: bonzo75

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Thank you for your recommendation.

Let me work on Beethoven for ten years and then Bartok as you said.

Tang;)

To utter the words Beethoven in the same sentence as Bartok is a criminal offence to the former :eek:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Before you jump from Beethoven to Bartok (and hopefully back to Bach) in 2027 or 2028 make a stop at Sibelius.

Now we are talking :cool::p

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You don't jump from Beethoven to Bartok you fall down.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I suppose the trick was knowing about the recording's existence to even look for the master tape.

Bang on

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
A few hundreds bucks is Mickey Mouse when audiophiles invest in gears worth so many thousands. Not to mention tape that cost even more for each album but so many sound like crap still. If you can spend more than 100 thousands of gears to play mediocre softwares and you spend thousands more on tweaks that just season your sound or another 50,000 on electronic that just gives different but not better sound, I think it is much more worthwhile listening to just youtube from iPad. Even at present price I truly believe I wont lose any money on my investment in good vinyls.

Kind regards,
Tang

Well said, Tang. Totally agree.

Reactions: assessor43

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
A few hundreds bucks is Mickey Mouse when audiophiles invest in gears worth so many thousands. Not to mention tape that cost even more for each album but so many sound like crap still. If you can spend more than 100 thousands of gears to play mediocre softwares and you spend thousands more on tweaks that just season your sound or another 50,000 on electronic that just gives different but not better sound, I think it is much more worthwhile listening to just youtube from iPad. Even at present price I truly believe I wont lose any money on my investment in good vinyls.

Kind regards,
Tang

You need one piece of component, but many hundreds of LPs. Maybe thousands. You will lose money on all LPs tang, LPs are a poor investment, but you can offload them to me when they depreciate in a a couple of years. Components retain used price value, look at AR ref 3

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Before you jump from Beethoven to Bartok (and hopefully back to Bach) in 2027 or 2028 make a stop at Sibelius.
Bach has been a permanent residence. Sibelius came for a visit every now and then sir.

Tang :)

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I reckon some folks would be better playing Cage 4’33, 78rpm, on repeat, forever

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Granted, it took me a while to appreciate Bartok. After spending time with his three piano concertos, I started gaining that appreciation enough to listen to more. Bartok was a genius, not at Stravinsky's level, but stil... Giza Anda knows how to play these. One thing to understand is that Bartok treats the piano as a percussion instrument (which it is.) He actually put the percussion section up next to the piano on Concerto #1 - its nearly primeval.

And for going on about Bartok mentioned with Beethoven ... take some time with Beethoven's final string quartets - say Opus 127, 130-133, 135. Beethoven didn't think they were appropriate for public performance because they, at the time, were 'so out there'. Listen to these and if you 'get them' you're more than half-way to Bartok.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
You people are too much for me. If this pattern follows the next thing I talk to Christian he would tell me to listen to the Grateful Dead for another ten years to get the music.

Tang :rolleyes:

Reactions: christoph

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You people are too much for me. If this pattern follows the next thing I talk to Christian he would tell me to listen to the Grateful Dead for another ten years to get the music.

Tang :rolleyes:

Which makes sense. Rock and blues is different.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
For sibelius VC, the Ferras that tang played sounded great, the heifetz is known to be very good too, and Ricci and Camilla wicks are probably the most priced though haven't heard the originals

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Granted, it took me a while to appreciate Bartok. After spending time with his three piano concertos, I started gaining that appreciation enough to listen to more. Bartok was a genius, not at Stravinsky's level, but stil... Giza Anda knows how to play these. One thing to understand is that Bartok treats the piano as a percussion instrument (which it is.) He actually put the percussion section up next to the piano on Concerto #1 - its nearly primeval.

And for going on about Bartok mentioned with Beethoven ... take some time with Beethoven's final string quartets - say Opus 127, 130-133, 135. Beethoven didn't think they were appropriate for public performance because they, at the time, were 'so out there'. Listen to these and if you 'get them' you're more than half-way to Bartok.

Tbh I am already up to speed with music that I would describe as much more avant-garde than Bartok. That I get.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Oistrakh and Heifetz, sure ... Try Ida Haendel or Zino Francescatti for the VC.

View attachment 50503
I still prefer Christain Ferras version with karajan Berlin Philharmonic. Soulful, agile and dynamic. Heifetz is also excellent.

Reactions: bonzo75

zerostargeneral

Apr 14, 2018
Dear Sirs,

Bartok is not and will never be on the level of Bach or Beethoven.

Tang is on the road to serious musical appreciation and knowledge,Bartok has no place on that road.

Stockhausen is actual genius as is Weber,Bartok is pseudo garb for the cab driving hair doodlers that aspire to impress.

Sibelius is heart breaking genius,Bartok is POOH.

Kindest regards,G.

Tima you are clearly a very composed and intelligent man,Bartok is POOH.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I still prefer Christain Ferras version with karajan Berlin Philharmonic. Soulful, agile and dynamic. Heifetz is also excellent.

That recording also had so much venue ambience that was audible through your recording

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
As they say on the street, that Bartok is some serious good $hit.

I guess I'm just a cab driving hair doodler, whatever the Hell that is LOL.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing