Zero Distortion: Tango Time

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I have to respectfully disagree on pricing of LP's (again). You might have hundreds of thousands in, but we cannot possibly expect everyone else to do so... let alone get people into the hobby with statements like that.

It's almost to preclude that you need to spend hundreds of thousands to benefit from good vinyl pressings... you don't. I found a SAX album at a local record store the other day. It's a garbage "performance" (use that term LOOSELY with it), but clear as day on a plastic turntable and some cheesy headphones into a garbage receiver... there's zero question that it sounds better than most classical releases - even on garbage playback. Simple fact is that better pressings pretty much always sound better.

So while maybe you don't mind spending the money, what-ever-it-takes on albums, that doesn't mean it isn't a barrier to others or that they can't appreciate it. That makes me a little disappointed that the arrow is pointing that direction... I thought we were back to conversing about performances? If it is indeed about them I don't see how it's good to say that everything is just right with exclusion.

Anyways, I'm on the same street as Tang here... find great stuff, keep exploring. Even if it's become a lonely exploration.

Reactions: bonzo75

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
As they say on the street, that Bartok is some serious good $hit.

I guess I'm just a cab driving hair doodler, whatever the Hell that is LOL.
I never thought that you are full of POOH, Marc. You are a special cool dude driving a vintage frog eye Citroen.

Tang ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey Tang, I just love Bartok. Even on average pressings. But the taste meisters here have spoken...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I never thought that you are full of POOH, Marc. You are a special cool dude driving a vintage frog eye Citroen.

Tang ;)
Btw Tang, not the Frog Eye, but the fared-in glass-covered headlights model from 1968.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hey Tang, I just love Bartok. Even on average pressings. But the taste meisters here have spoken...

Marc, even you are a composed and. Sorry, I almost completed that sentence but couldn't hold myself totally on the floor now

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You guys will be telling me you don't like The Bieber and Rita O next.

Reactions: KeithR

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Let's put it this way Graham, that monkey was truly thankful to be parted from The Bieber.

I'll wait for The General to inform me of the level of The Biber. Just not sure The Toilet Scale is one to keep using.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Certainly one of the two of The Beebs shown above is clearly (in the incomparable words of the General) complete pooh... no prizes for guessing it’s the one sans pet monkey.

Reactions: zerostargeneral

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
That recording also had so much venue ambience that was audible through your recording
1) Youtube shapes off leading edge and details.
2) Recording from mobile phone does a bad job capturing depth and dimension of sound stage.

Yet you still heard the venue in this recording. Imagine how this recording would be in your room. For those who dismiss video in a writing forum, I can only say it is a very useful tool if you know what to pick out of it. And also, can anyone describe Mendelssohn Piano concerto by writing?

Kind regards,
Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
1) Youtube shapes off leading edge and details.
2) Recording from mobile phone does a bad job capturing depth and dimension of sound stage.

Yet you still heard the venue in this recording. Imagine how this recording would be in your room. For those who dismiss video in a writing forum, I can only say it is a very useful tool if you know what to pick out of it.

Kind regards,
Tang

Yes but to be fair, I have heard your system and followed recordings of it, and know most of the recordings you play so there is a better benchmark. Your previous Ayon posted recordings did not bake any sense to me even after hearing your system. Think you have improved with your recordings. Mike's I don't relate to as a representation of what I heard. I remember early on Bill had once sent me a compare of a Decca blue vs madake on mobile. I asked him if what he was hearing on mobile gave him the same conclusion as what he was hearing in his room. He said no. But nowadays he sent a couple of better sounding recordings. If I hear something on a mobile recording like yours I still verify if it is indeed the case in real life

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I asked him if what he was hearing on mobile gave If I hear something on a mobile recording like yours I still verify if it is indeed the case in real life
That is excatly what you should do. Use it complimentary to verbal and writen comments.

Tang ;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
A few hundreds bucks is Mickey Mouse when audiophiles invest in gears worth so many thousands. Not to mention tape that cost even more for each album but so many sound like crap still. If you can spend more than 100 thousands of gears to play mediocre softwares and you spend thousands more on tweaks that just season your sound or another 50,000 on electronic that just gives different but not better sound, I think it is much more worthwhile listening to just youtube from iPad. Even at present price I truly believe I wont lose any money on my investment in good vinyls.

Kind regards,
Tang

Dear Tang,

Why such negative and pessimist view on recording quality and the way many people live our hobby? If audiophiles consider that tweaks give them better sound - surely meaning sound they prefer - who can say they are wrong?

I am assuming you forget the smile in the iPad comment ... :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Dear Tang,

Why such negative and pessimist view on recording quality and the way many people live our hobby? If audiophiles consider that tweaks give them better sound - surely meaning sound they prefer - who can say they are wrong?

That is fine as long as they know the difference and make an informed choice

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
If it sounds better, it is better. That always works for me.

Would hate not to know the difference and make an ill-informed choice.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hi Tang we like it the performance is great especially the saint saens piece which is the same piece as the one G had posted a mono of heifetz playing on a Garrard.

But like with the ERC we feel the other normal originals are more natural. The thing with ERC and this one is that in most cases if you do not get these issues, it will be almost impossible to get the performance on LP

Who is WE?
The Brits? The Indians? Or the majestic WE? :p

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Dear Tang,

Dear Micro,

I am just sharing my view from what I hear. Maybe I should have put imo at the end of every sentence. ;) (Now this is the time for a smiley.) I never comments about anyone's purchasing of gear. It is their money. I also do not even defend for the gears I own when someone gave a negative comment or feedback on them. I only comment about what I have experience on..mostly from my system. If I want to know about something I buy it to experience it myself...then I write to give data points to people. I do not debate. People are entitle to their opinion and I take that as is. No persuasion is needed. And every day is a sunshine day for me sir. :cool:

Kindest regards,
Tang

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
That is fine as long as they know the difference and make an informed choice

Do you know of any WBF member that does not make informed choices? o_O

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing