VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
It is surprising how much work gets done in his listening room
You could use some elevator music in your office to make work more productive. ;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I like too. This Avalon set up is very strange but sound surprisingly good. Excellent value for money.

Tang :)

So now on WBF Avalon compass diamonds, Allnic A6000, Soulution pre, brinkmann balance, FR 66s, Allnic phono, 8 carts (to be fair we are only playing the Decca London reference here) and audiophile cables, Still points and balanced power in a 30x14 feet room is value for money

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
So now on WBF Avalon compass diamonds, Allnic A6000, Soulution pre, brinkmann balance, FR 66s, Allnic phono, 8 carts (to be fair we are only playing the Decca London reference here) and audiophile cables, Still points and balanced power in a 30x14 feet room is value for money
Is 90% of the much more expensive systems you heard any better than this one Ked?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Is 90% of the much more expensive systems you heard any better than this one Ked?

I can't answer that without upsetting 90 percent of the people Tang. Though I can assure you you are in the 10 percent

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
But in cones yes, I specifically like this after the mega Zellaton Statement at audio arts, which was all FM, brinkmann balance, and Allaerts. This system was quite boring before the introduction of the Soulution pre.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, you like the London Ref? I've heard it twice now, and hated it both times. It also eats vinyl.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked, you like the London Ref? I've heard it twice now, and hated it both times. It also eats vinyl.

Sonically it is very good but yes tough on LPs unless set up exact. It has to be perfect to sound good. Otherwise very fatiguing. Very temperamental. Heard that it works best on linear trackers and FR.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Sonically it is very good but yes tough on LPs unless set up exact. It has to be perfect to sound good. Otherwise very fatiguing. Very temperamental. Heard that it works best on linear trackers and FR.

In my systems in the late 70's my Sum and Difference Gold and Maroons --with Pods, really shone with dynamics and attack- mounted in the Breuer 5A and 8c's I used at the time.
Still one of the best Front end transducer combinations I've ever owned--and heard since:cool:

BruceD

Reactions: bonzo75

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Christian showed his Stereo version of this album a while ago. Bill and Bonzo said the mono of this is also excellent and much cheaper so I bought one...still very expensive at $185. This is one of the cleanest album I have. Superb sound and performance. I have this Bach Two Violins with Menuhin and Oistrakh, but no where near this album. Very very quiet vinyl with so low surface noise no click n pops. To my surprise, it sounds more like a stereo not mono.

817D01F7-FF0A-4AE6-999F-BED271582FA6.jpeg

Unfortunately my youtube of this has been blocked.

Kind regards,
Tang

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Christian showed his Stereo version of this album a while ago. Bill and Bonzo said the mono of this is also excellent and much cheaper so I bought one...still very expensive at $185. This is one of the cleanest album I have. Superb sound and performance. I have this Bach Two Violins with Menuhin and Oistrakh, but no where near this album. Very very quiet vinyl with so low surface noise no click n pops. To my surprise, it sounds more like a stereo not mono.

View attachment 53391

Unfortunately my youtube of this has been blocked.

Kind regards,
Tang

I have also heard the stereo of this.. Mono is much better. Btw it was a blind test. General was playing the stereo, and I said this is not sounding as good today, what change have you done to the system. He said this is the stereo.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I am starting this week well. I received 4 records and it is a win four out of four. :D I bought this Oistrakh Devil's Trills one day before General posted. I saw it while surfing youtube. Most of my good findings are actually from youtube. I don't remember what pressing General showed but this one is not that. Mine is a Melodiya CM029312 costed €40. Excellent sound. You see my dog is sleeping in the video. This is a good sign. He walks around when the sound is shit. FE40121F-1CFE-409B-9823-5FF922B17BE4.jpeg

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
That sounds like a great performance. I love your ability to discover and report.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Also consider the version by the Végh Quartet issued by the French label Valois. Though I really cherish the Italiano, the Végh are just on another planet.
... .

Took me a while to find a mint box set of Quatuor Végh 's recordings of Beethoven string quartets - but it was worth the search.

10 LPs on the Valois label (CMB 83). I listened to op. 130 in B? major last night - the Grosse Fuge. What a sheer delight! Top notch performances from each member on every movement. B gave everyone interesting parts throughout the entire work - no boring ostinatos for the rhythm section. little showboating for the first violin. Cello and viola together were gorgeous. As fresh in the 21st C. as it was in 1825 (though few heard it then.)

The sound quality is superb, very transparent, open and clear.

Thank you dcc, very much, for this recommendation!

Beethoven The Quartets Quatuor Végh Valois CMB 83.jpg

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Took me a while to find a mint box set of Quatuor Végh 's recordings of Beethoven string quartets - but it was worth the search.

10 LPs on the Valois label (CMB 83). I listened to op. 130 in B? major last night - the Grosse Fuge. What a sheer delight! Top notch performances from each member on every movement. B gave everyone interesting parts throughout the entire work - no boring ostinatos for the rhythm section. little showboating for the first violin. Cello and bass together were gorgeous. As fresh in the 21st C. as it was in 1825 (though few heard it then.)

The sound quality is superb, very transparent, open and clear.

Thank you dcc, very much, for this recommendation!

View attachment 53448
Thank you Tima. It is like an adventure to me finding good music.

Tang

Reactions: tima

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing