Zero Distortion: Tango Time

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
EMI isn’t perfect, but if it’s a good performance I won’t hesitate.

I started collecting Zigeunerweisen performances after one of your earlier postings.
Hi Folsom,

Now I am going after Rachmaninoff's Vocalise. I bought Vocalise in piano, cello, violin and opera. It is such a beautiful music. Sound best in cello and opera imo. Will let you know which pressing is worth having. They are not expensive.

Tang :)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
On Mr.Fremer's Analog Planet, I saw a video of SAT/Opus1 playing Fanfare for the Common Man. It sounded excellent on his video. Apart from his incomparable high level of professional recording he has over me, his video took out the variables of room play and speakers vs my homemade shaky vid with amps, speakers, cables and room in play. Listeners will not get an approximation of how his system sound but mine does. Different objectives. So I bought this record of Eiji Oue Minesota Orchestra Reference Recordings. The sound from this record is so majestically grand. The depth, the width, the ambient and musical impact are just impressive. If you don't already have this you should get one.

811D4D9C-3087-4696-8B8A-CE135F5111C9.jpeg

This time I let you guys hear from the side and also get a feel of my room. You have to bear with my shaky hand. What is largely lacking from the video vs real is the depth of sound field. This record really plays depth in real. And Guess what. When I listen to this youtube from speakers of my iPad mini, it actually gives better sense of ambient of my room a lot better than listening from earphone. Don't know why.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
A wonderful short piece, Fanfare for the Common Man - I was thinking of using it in a review. Horns, timpani and what must be a large Chau gong

Reactions: Tango

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I Bonzo likes to say I am a flasher.

Please don't flash at us in your videos, doubt anything to be proud of there

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
On Mr.Fremer's Analog Planet, I saw a video of SAT/Opus1 playing Fanfare for the Common Man. It sounded excellent on his video. Apart from his incomparable high level of professional recording he has over me, his video took out the variables of room play and speakers vs my homemade shaky vid with amps, speakers, cables and room in play. Listeners will not get an approximation of how his system sound but mine does. Different objectives. So I bought this record of Eiji Oue Minesota Orchestra Reference Recordings. The sound from this record is so majestically grand. The depth, the width, the ambient and musical impact are just impressive. If you don't already have this you should get one.

View attachment 54112

This time I let you guys hear from the side and also get a feel of my room. You have to bear with my shaky hand. What is largely lacking from the video vs real is the depth of sound field. This record really plays depth in real. And Guess what. When I listen to this youtube from speakers of my iPad mini, it actually gives better sense of ambient of my room a lot better than listening from earphone. Don't know why.

If you appreciate Reference Recordings and music from the XX century you should get the "Ebony Concerto" . Other than the delicious Stravinsky piece it includes several music pearls - I am sure you will love this recording. Some people consider that Reference Recordings are not "natural" but I always considered them highly. The feeling of rhythm and joy of the young orchestra and the quality of the soloist goes through the recording.

a1.jpg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

View attachment 54112

You should play that on Opus and techdas since you haven't posted such music videos recently. Ron and others can then get a good feel for the system.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Reactions: tima

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Very nice that Copland tune Tang. The mids and highs sound wonderful.
The impact from the rest of the audio spectrum is a little reserved, missing that last part of the low registers. Overall I'm impressed.

Reactions: tima

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
The impact from the rest of the audio spectrum is a little reserved, missing that last part of the low registers. Overall I'm impressed.
You caught that. I am glad you said it. I will record it again when I successfully implemented my front load bass horns (subs) project. The designer of Cessaro is working for me on this and will come to set up to work without compromises likely in a few months. Tympani and huge drum low down authority can be improved much more in my system with subs.

Tang ;)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
If you appreciate Reference Recordings and music from the XX century you should get the "Ebony Concerto" . Other than the delicious Stravinsky piece it includes several music pearls - I am sure you will love this recording. Some people consider that Reference Recordings are not "natural" but I always considered them highly. The feeling of rhythm and joy of the young orchestra and the quality of the soloist goes through the recording.

View attachment 54118

Thank you sir. I see if I can get a music sample on internet.

Tang :)

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

This is not a comment on Tang's system or recording.

Fanfare for the Common Man is a piece that, imo, will never have its grandeur, weight and scale delivered through a phone video or small speakers. While there are a variety of orchestrations the principals are timpani, bass drum, tam-tam (gong), tuba, trombones, horns and trumpets.

Fanfare for the Common Man opening bars.jpg

Played in a hall, the resonance is spectacular, particularly from the sharp attack of the percussion in the opening bars. I can't imagine the sheer power of the full brass ensemble coming through.

I haven't heard the RR version. If looking for an alternative, consider it on Telarc LP with Lois Lane and the Atlantic Symphony Orchestra, DG-10078. (yes ... its digital.)

Copland Telarc.jpg

Reactions: Tango

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
This is not a comment on Tang's system or recording.

Fanfare for the Common Man is a piece that, imo, will never have its grandeur, weight and scale delivered through a phone video or small speakers. While there are a variety of orchestrations the principals are timpani, bass drum, tam-tam (gong), tuba, trombones, horns and trumpets.

View attachment 54162

Played in a hall, the resonance is spectacular, particularly from the sharp attack of the percussion in the opening bars. I can't imagine the sheer power of the full brass ensemble coming through.

I haven't heard the RR version. If looking for an alternative, consider it on Telarc LP with Lois Lane and the Atlantic Symphony Orchestra, DG-10078. (yes ... its digital.)

View attachment 54163

On the RR version, the depth just goes way beyond the front wall. You can position the bass and tympani way back the hall and its bass even without my subs just resonate so much from behind that make your side walls collapse and disappear. That gong or cymbals(?) too just cut through the air and put you right there in the hall. I agree you should include this pressing for your future equipment review.

Tang

Reactions: NorthStar and tima

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
On the RR version, the depth just goes way beyond the front wall. You can position the bass and tympani way back the hall and its bass even without my subs just resonate so much from behind that make your side walls collapse and disappear. That gong or cymbals(?) too just cut through the air and put you right there in the hall. I agree you should include this pressing for your future equipment review.

Tang
All RR are like that, very audiophile. Listen to a few of them and they become very boring. Every piece goes loud then slow quiet and then loud again. Then there's that very distracting pinpoint imaging which is very unnatural, that's their signature sound.
david

Reactions: Halcro

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
You caught that. I am glad you said it. I will record it again when I successfully implemented my front load bass horns (subs) project. The designer of Cessaro is working for me on this and will come to set up to work without compromises likely in a few months. Tympani and huge drum low down authority can be improved much more in my system with subs.

Tang ;)

Hi Tang,
you do not need a sub,:), if you desire to participate to a fantastic audio experience, please come next year to Mantova where we organize an yearly event named "Trame Sonore".
200 musicians plays chamber music in historical places of Mantova.

Here after the Teatro Bibiena declared by Mozart the best theater of the world.

DSC_0027-20.jpg

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hi Tang,
you do not need a sub,:), if you desire to participate to a fantastic audio experience, please come next year to Mantova where we organize an yearly event named "Trame Sonore".
200 musicians plays chamber music in historical places of Mantova.

Here after the Teatro Bibiena declared by Mozart the best theater of the world.

View attachment 54179
This venue is so beautiful.

Reactions: zerostargeneral

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
All RR are like that, very audiophile. Listen to a few of them and they become very boring. Every piece goes loud then slow quiet and then loud again. Then there's that very distracting pinpoint imaging which is very unnatural, that's their signature sound.
david

My preferences do no go towards spectacular music, so I do not have great experience with such type of RR recordings. But I am perfectly happy with the one I referred, as well as several others of chamber music. In adequate systems, what you call "distracting pinpoint imaging" becomes a realistic 3D with plenty of boom and space, with realistic dynamics.
If this what you call very audiophile, I take it as a compliment! :)

As always, IMHO, YMMV.

Reactions: dan31

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing