Zero Distortion: Tango Time

About to turn 55. The slide is well and truly on. And quite possibly the world's worst midlife crisis - forget fantasising about busty blondes and fast cars (nothing wrong w those LOL), try angst about the UK drifting into the Atlantic Ocean courtesy of the big B word.

similar age myself - 55 later this year. but I am younger than most , as I still buy lots of new release music in genres other than classical and jazz reissues - not that there's anything wrong with that :p

Yes but when you met her how many speakers did you have, and after a decade into the marriage how many did you have?
:p
Around 5 pairs back then... :rolleyes:
But back then we only had the small flat and not the whole house ;)

XV, if I ever visit a show in future, Munich esp, and the music coming from most rooms is what I'm buying and listening to, I'll realise the final strait is in sight.

Reactions: KeithR
XV, if I ever visit a show in future, Munich esp, and the music coming from most rooms is what I'm buying and listening to, I'll realise the final strait is in sight.

So you buy Diana Krall, Vanessa Fernandez and Jazz at the Pawnshop ? ;) if one is feeling outrageous, you will have the new reissue of Hell Freezes Over.
Yea, agree. Vomit worthy.

XV, I really struggle to stay in most rooms at shows. Horns demos are the worst, like a sickly dose of butter and honey as those cloying female vocals dominate proceedings.

The only rooms I really enjoy are those getting down w real music, different genres, imperfect pressings, surface noise immaterial.

So, in Munich sneaking into a room playing Brand X on well worn vinyl from the 70s meant I got a good idea of how a very nice, but little known to me, phono sounded. Ditto Zu rooms at shows.

Get tickets and queue for 30-45 mins to hear a Magico demo be introduced in hush reverential tones, to be assaulted w pap, no thanks. Even if said pap imaged brilliantly and was so transparent it could even more easily be heard as pap.

Reactions: XV-1
XV, I really struggle to stay in most rooms at shows. Horns demos are the worst, like a sickly dose of butter and honey as those cloying female vocals dominate proceedings.

The only rooms I really enjoy are those getting down w real music, different genres, imperfect pressings, surface noise immaterial.

So, in Munich sneaking into a room playing Brand X on well worn vinyl from the 70s meant I got a good idea of how a very nice, but little known to me, phono sounded. Ditto Zu rooms at shows.

Get tickets and queue for 30-45 mins to hear a Magico demo be introduced in hush reverential tones, to be assaulted w pap, no thanks. Even if said pap imaged brilliantly and was so transparent it could even more easily be heard as pap.

Marc as I have tried to tell you before - going to a room with badly worn, poor pressings of 70s vinyl is not a sensible strategy at all for system evaluation.

Bill, I could say to one going to many horns rooms is not a strategy to evaluate class leading PRaT, bass extension and all-round genres agnosticism.

Eg in 2016 the Animas on humungous Traformatic triodes were sounding pretty damn fine on jazz, vocals. I thought, maybe my lacklustre demo at UK dealer on SS was an unreliable data point.

However put on AC/DC next, and they IMHO were poor, my opinion backed up by the spkr designer who accompanied me to the room. Cue simultaneous grimaces.

Ralph of Cessaro doesn't ever bring any rock w him to Munich to demo.

Etc etc.

So Bill, 1970s fusion sounded great on that unassuming little system. As was the jazz and classical that came up next.

musically, the way i see 'age' is either you lived 60's music 'live' (along with the cultural environment that fostered it) or you did not. you either saw the Beatles on TV on the Ed Sullivan Show as something fresh and new (i was 12 then) or you did not. and all those other 60's touchstone moments we all shared.

so while Baby Boomers are getting old, no way around that, they/we do have this connection to the golden age of rock which keeps us young in a particular way. not saying others did not join in all that later, this is not any sort of exclusive club. only that us Boomers are charter members. it was 'us'.

Last edited:
Bill, I could say to one going to many horns rooms is not a strategy to evaluate class leading PRaT, bass extension and all-round genres agnosticism.

Eg in 2016 the Animas on humungous Traformatic triodes were sounding pretty damn fine on jazz, vocals. I thought, maybe my lacklustre demo at UK dealer on SS was an unreliable data point.

However put on AC/DC next, and they IMHO were poor, my opinion backed up by the spkr designer who accompanied me to the room. Cue simultaneous grimaces.

Ralph of Cessaro doesn't ever bring any rock w him to Munich to demo.

Etc etc.

So Bill, 1970s fusion sounded great on that unassuming little system. As was the jazz and classical that came up next.

No one including me is telling you to only go to horn rooms - you made that one up. But your comment about genre agnosticism is also incorrect - you have wrongly concluded that horns can’t do rock. AG mostly seem to play rock and drums at shows in order to show dynamics and speed. I never heard them play classical!!

There is nothing wrong with decent 1970s fusion music but to use poorly pressed, badly worn 70s fusion is silly.

No one including me is telling you to only go to horn rooms - you made that one up. But your comment about genre agnosticism is also incorrect - you have wrongly concluded that horns can’t do rock. AG mostly seem to play rock and drums at shows in order to show dynamics and speed. I never heard them play classical!!

There is nothing wrong with decent 1970s fusion music but to use poorly pressed, badly worn 70s fusion is silly.

Actually it isn’t just silly to do that - it is actually very unfortunate for the poor sod who gets his stylus trashed trying to track the badly worn disc. It is no wonder that dealers are reticent to allow people to play their own vinyl if people bring badly worn discs with them as they cue their 10k+ cartridge.

Bill, it was an lp from the demoers. It wasn't badly worn. Just had typical amounts of typical user wear. This is irrelevant to the point that it wasn't the usual audiophile fodder found in many horns demos. The vinyl here might be more pristine, but is invariably chosen to best suit the horns being demoed.

Re AGs, even though my ship re horns has passed, had I gone horns it would have been with a choice not incl Class D to woofered subs. Hence not AG.

Bill, it was an lp from the demoers. It wasn't badly worn. Just had typical amounts of typical user wear. This is irrelevant to the point that it wasn't the usual audiophile fodder found in many horns demos. The vinyl here might be more pristine, but is invariably chosen to best suit the horns being demoed.

Re AGs, even though my ship re horns has passed, had I gone horns it would have been with a choice not incl Class D to woofered subs. Hence not AG.

As I just said you are wrong also about horn demos. At the last Munich, AG had rigged up a live rock drummer. The WE room never ever plays audiophile twaddle.

This is also a wrong diversion from the important point. You should not use these badly pressed recordings to evaluate a system - this is really basic and I am flummoxed as to why you don’t get it.

For me the whole point of having analog is to play good analog pressings. Otherwise I would stick to digital (to play both good and bad) except for the curiosity of investigating analog gear. Why someone would knowingly play inferior analog pressings beats me

Reactions: sujay
For me the whole point of having analog is to play good analog pressings. Otherwise I would stick to digital (to play both good and bad) except for the curiosity of investigating analog gear. Why someone would knowingly play inferior analog pressings beats me

The only reason I can possibly think of, Ked, is if someone owns a huge library of crap vinyl already and is not able to use a streamer and dac. Still might as well use a CD player then lol.

That's a bit too subtle for me, Bill. I have zero idea who you're talking about.

Anyhow it's good we all have different expectations from this hobby. I can't imagine a life where only so-called superior pressings are played on a tt. So, you aesthetes carry on only buying yr superior pressings, the rest of us can scramble about in the s/h lp shop aisles.

That's a bit too subtle for me, Bill. I have zero idea who you're talking about.

Anyhow it's good we all have different expectations from this hobby. I can't imagine a life where only so-called superior pressings are played on a tt. So, you aesthetes carry on only buying yr superior pressings, the rest of us can scramble about in the s/h lp shop aisles.

Alas your malignment is incorrect. I too buy my vinyl from second hand shops (for obvious reasons!) but I know what I am looking for as I took time to learn about pressings and labels on top of my musical knowledge. This does *NOT* amount to acquisition of only expensive vinyl - in fact my normal purchase price is between £20-50. Sometimes I buy pieces that are a few hundred but very rarely.

If you think strolling into a charity shop and picking up some rubbish is the way to go, clearly I will happily leave you to that hobby.

Anyway - apologies Tang for detailing your nice thread.

Alas your malignment is incorrect. I too buy my vinyl from second hand shops (for obvious reasons!) but I know what I am looking for as I took time to learn about pressings and labels on top of my musical knowledge. This does *NOT* amount to acquisition of only expensive vinyl - in fact my normal purchase price is between £20-50. Sometimes I buy pieces that are a few hundred but very rarely.

If you think strolling into a charity shop and picking up some rubbish is the way to go, clearly I will happily leave you to that hobby.
Now your alignment of me is incorrect Bill. I'll agree on one thing w you, Tang can do w being back on track.

musically, the way i see 'age' is either you lived 60's music 'live' (along with the cultural environment that fostered it) or you did not. you either saw the Beatles on TV on the Ed Sullivan Show as something fresh and new (i was 12 then) or you did not. and all those other 60's touchstone moments we all shared.

so while Baby Boomers are getting old, no way around that, they/we do have this connection to the golden age of rock which keeps us young in a particular way. not saying others did not join in all that later, this is not any sort of exclusive club. only that us Boomers are charter members. it was 'us'.
Yep, unfortunately the rest of us were witness to Pop Idol.
NO LOL.

I was still trying to find my way to "Life" during those golden years in the 60's Mike. :D
I started listening to English spoken songs when the Bee Gees, Abba and Carpenter were hits. The Scorpion and Queen were Rocks I started listening to. Stll now not really into Rocks.

* Not to forget the Air Supply.

kind regards,
Tang

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing