Zero Distortion: Tango Time

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Dear Tang, you are fully fledged and this is your best post by far in my opinion.

Now you must stretch to Brendel doing the complete sonatas.

The tone of the piano via youtube is superb.

Kindest regards,G.
Dear G,

Thank you for your guidance. I have so much more to learn from you. Will definitely try Brendel on B.

Kindest regards,
Tang

Reactions: zerostargeneral

carolus

Dec 20, 2013
Belgium (Brussels)
If you are going symponic now,you may need to rekindle your bass horns as that is where symphonic lives. That could be very exiting and more than a little terrifying. I well remember the butterflies in my stomach when we were at this stage

BOU AAN HUIS AUG 2005 099
... knap gedaan ... ultieme realisatie lage frekwenties ...
(trad.: very well done ... excellent realisation(-s) & very low frequency)
Johan, it's more than addiction with butterflies in the stomac ...

Enjoy music ...

Karel

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
If you are going symponic now,you may need to rekindle your bass horns as that is where symphonic lives. That could be very exiting and more than a little terrifying. I well remember the butterflies in my stomach when we were at this stage

BOU AAN HUIS AUG 2005 099
Thank you for your advise. I know where I am heading and I don't stand still. A secret passage to love chamber is not in my plan though.

Tang :)

Reactions: zerostargeneral

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Here is a bunch of records on solo piano by Yvonne Lefebure. She is one of my favorite pianist. If you want some good reference vinyls on piano that are also performed musically superb and the price is not crazy expensive, I suggest any of these Lefebure's. They are in FY Label and can still be found on discog. I sourced mine through the General. He was the one who introduced me to them.

218EB017-62AF-4F32-A524-CF9A0B8E1A7C.jpeg

Here is a piece on Beethoven Diabelli, op 120. I have been listening B more and more lately.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Already on my list. There's only one for sale right now though I think! Good stuff. I forget how I added them, maybe from the General or I own one or something.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
This past two weeks I have been advancing my classical music enjoyment into symphony. My head and ears are pretty basic and simple. I don't like too sophisticated, technically wow complicated music. I do like romantic, poetic, emotional and dramatic classical music. Liszt is one of the composers that fit my bill. Here is Georg Solti with L'Orchestre de Paris on Tasso. On second side it has the Memphisto Walz No.1. Great sounding record and music that you can enjoy both sides. This is a Decca SXL 6709. I know that my system is good at chambers but I am only getting to know that it plays symphony pretty damn well too...at least it stopped me from working and drew me to listening to this record until ended.

View attachment 55293

Tang. One of my favourite symphonies is Tchaikovsky No. 5. Anyone know a particular good version / pressing to try?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Both the Kempe and the Kubelik are good, they are available on HMV ASD

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
ThisMussorgsky Pictures at an Exhibitiont by Ansermet on Decca is very interesting. The presentation of this recording is moved way back behind the speakers. The whole orchestra..no no the whole sound including ambient is limited to be within the 4.5 meter space between my two speakers. Feel almost like you are watching a big tv. It is engaging but yet it call my attention of the border line. The dynamic contrast, instrument placement, sense of ambient and tone of this vinyl are excellent. I think Ansermet with Orchestra de la Suisse performance on this piece is best.

5BC51A5D-F6EC-4A0A-94FC-30A101D05B6F.jpeg

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Flow, continuity, and dynamics.... Superb, right from the first note.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Tang,

Any idea how the AS keeps its speed stability?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hi Tang,

Any idea how the AS keeps its speed stability?
Ddk is best to describe technically. But it has an external sensor reading a tiny magnet that sticked to the side of a platter when it rotates. The reading then runs to the motor box. Seems very simple but effective to 33.333 +/- 0.001 and stay quite stable without going up or down every second.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Ansermet has the goldilocks pace - not too fast, not too slow.
I actually like him on this piece because of that. Also because of the Swiss Orchestra.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Ddk is best to describe technically. But it has an external sensor reading a tiny magnet that sticked to the side of a platter when it rotates. The reading then runs to the motor box. Seems very simple but effective to 33.333 +/- 0.001 and stay quite stable without going up or down every second.

Thanks Tang. Hopefully David will chime in. If it starts to drift, how does it correct itself?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Thanks Tang. Hopefully David will chime in. If it starts to drift, how does it correct itself?

It doesn't drift and it has no correction! Nothing kills the sound like a feedback loop or servo speed adjustment no matter how minor or how few rotations claimed Bill, that's why DD's always fall short of the best idlers and belt drive turntables. AS's motor is set by adjusting the frequency once for each rpm then the rotation speed remains constant. One of the benefits of high platter mass is inertia so it moves freely with as little input from the motor as possible without wavering so AS's speed is incredibly stable as a system.

The sensor that Tang mentioned is only a tach and is independent from the motor controller.

david

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing