Zero Distortion: The General's System - Pnoe, Thomas Mayer, Vyger, Original LPs

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hi D

Hi David,

Do you have some Axiom 80s? What an amazing sounding driver.
Hi Bill,
I have a few pairs from the different generations of Axiom 80's fantastic speakers. I think the stock cabinets Goodmans suggested sold the drivers short but still one could great sound, before our last move to Utah I had a pair of back loaded horns ala GRF made for them but never had the chance to try them should go dig them and see how they work :)!

david

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Bill,
I have a few pairs from the different generations of Axiom 80's fantastic speakers. I think the stock cabinets Goodmans suggested sold the drivers short but still one could great sound, before our last move to Utah I had a pair of back loaded horns ala GRF made for them but never had the chance to try them should go dig them and see how they work :)!

david

I will for sure buy some soon too. This clip just makes me salivate:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Damn Bill.....that sounds wonderful coming out of my computer speakers. Back loaded corner horns?

I know Lol it sounds awesome on my darned iPhone. Assume it is a backloaded horn cabinet but might well just be a regular vented cabinet.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I think actually that might be standard vented cabinet as per below:

Attachments

• 155F05B4-E896-48BF-A718-236DC23D6F46.jpeg
    155F05B4-E896-48BF-A718-236DC23D6F46.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Like almost everything in Audio - Axiom 80's reproduce some genres beautifully - others not so.

For sure, Rob. But what they can do with some stuff puts to shame some extremely pricey speakers on the same material.

Reactions: Rob181

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Like almost everything in Audio - Axiom 80's reproduce some genres beautifully - others not so.

Could you explicit which genres sound sound beautiful or not with the Axiom 80's?

Cantus

Sep 7, 2017
The driver in the Dionosio is a heavily doped Lowther.

The frame shape and body heft of the Lowther,obviates the abilty to swap.

https://audioflair.co.uk/category/used-items-for-sale/loudspeakers/

Scroll down the page and all may see the fabulous Be Yamamura work.

Kind regards,G.

Modified Lowther PM4s were only used in the very earliest Dionisio's, all subsequent models from around late 94 were Bé's own Cantus driver, which went through at least 5 or 6 incarnations which Pietro has described on his own thread.

Rob181

Oct 1, 2014
Could you explicit which genres sound sound beautiful or not with the Axiom 80's?

Acoustic male/female vocals - Holly Cole - Eva Cassidy - Stock Fish recordings - Allan Taylor etc - Diana Krall - (please no more torture) small chamber music - I am sure you get the picture - Led Zeppelin Pink Floyd et al need not apply.

Rob181

Oct 1, 2014
This guy has now got a Rullit to "play nicely" - the cotton wool around the speaker is to let it breathe & act like a semi open baffle.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
This guy has now got a Rullit to "play nicely" - the cotton wool around the speaker is to let it breathe & act like a semi open baffle.

Hi Rob,

The piccies don’t seem to show for me - maybe my iPhone

Rob181

Oct 1, 2014
The latest very exciting project - old Accoustat panels given a new lease of life - still in development mode - driven by a Modjeski direct drive ESL amp - output 4000 volts at 1/3 amps - NOT - pet or child friendly in development mode.

CC-RB Accoustat Build 01-19.jpg

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
My Quad Corner Ribbon has the Axiom 150 mk 2 and sound is very natural
Consider this speaker was made from 1949 to 1955
This must be an inspiration to Alon Wolf when he designed Magico cabinet.

Tang :D

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
This must be an inspiration to Alon Wolf when he designed Magico cabinet.

Tang :D

It should have been - then Magico might have sounded ok :p:eek:.

Just kidding before Magico crew kill me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing