Aesthetix Io Users Group

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, with the connection that you have to Jim White, he could probably set you up with a switch between single ende and balanced input on one of input boards. You would just have to use cartridges with similar loading needs on that input :)

Hoping two of the cartridges have similar loading needs is my plan. See Post #359.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I have both too but ... I believe the back one is disabled from the factory. I have to check.
Not disabled, but the user can do it with jumpers inside.

Reactions: Kcin

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
Your Io does not have the new internal loading boards?.. you still have the original loading pins on the outside after your upgrade?
Yes. I purposefully want it like that, for now. I just don’t like the idea of opening the unit anytime I swapped cartridge. In my operating experience for output settings, leaving it at 64 db sounds okay with .30-.45 mv cart output ranges.

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Hi audioquest4life, I am glad to read of your experience with the Eclipse upgrade - it is much in line with my own experience. A question. Do you use stock tubes from Aesthetix, in the first gain stage? I got JJs from them, which are remarkably low noise. Yet I later swapped back to my Telefunken NOS, finding them more musical, even if they are more noisy. The noise level is still lower than what I hear from the groove itself (playing the Atlas cart, in grooves without music).

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
In this new Audiogon thread you see Rauliruegas once more dismissing tube phono stages and especially Aesthetix Io. I get irritated by his categorical judgements, based on hearing the Io a few times, probably quite long ago, and not in the upgraded versions, or with the best low noise tubes. I have disagreed with him before, so maybe someone else will answer him?

Audiogon link

Reactions: audioquest4life

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
Hi audioquest4life, I am glad to read of your experience with the Eclipse upgrade - it is much in line with my own experience. A question. Do you use stock tubes from Aesthetix, in the first gain stage? I got JJs from them, which are remarkably low noise. Yet I later swapped back to my Telefunken NOS, finding them more musical, even if they are more noisy. The noise level is still lower than what I hear from the groove itself (playing the Atlas cart, in grooves without music).
I have been most rewarded over more then a decade of rolling in my Aesthetix Rhea Signature, first gain stage, with a couple of excellent quads of Amperex Harleen Bugle Boys. The smooth plate Telefunkens are wonderful, so damn linear beyond anything made today or yesterday, though they work with Aesthetix circuits , sometimes in other gear they sound a tad dry. But the BB’s never fail to add just a bit of a emphasis to the midrange warmth and smoothness, with a bit of atmospheric sparkle which, though possibly not as text book perfect, and possibly an added sonic effect, I absolutely fall in love with what they do to portray music more musically. If that makes any sense. There is no current production valves that even come close! None(.) Let your ears be the judge.

On a side note, Glenn Buckley from Aesthetix recommended for the Calypso and Rhea some long time ago I try RCA black plate 7058’s as they were very cheap and not in high demand and see what my ears hear. They are a ruggedized for transportation sub for 12AX7’s and work in Aesthetix circuits though they differ from the 12AX7 in that they designed for 12V-13.8 V filament heaters which my gear accommodated by design. Now I don’t know if the Aesthetix IO offers the same voltage accommodation, but I believe that it would be worth investigating with a call to Jim or Glenn.

What I find, in my gear over the years is that for the second and third gain stage with the Rhea they seem to offer good performance and no audible difference from say a Telefunken or whatever.

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
In this new Audiogon thread you see Rauliruegas once more dismissing tube phono stages and especially Aesthetix Io. I get irritated by his categorical judgements, based on hearing the Io a few times, probably quite long ago, and not in the upgraded versions, or with the best low noise tubes. I have disagreed with him before, so maybe someone else will answer him?

Audiogon link

I love our friend Raul and his exploratory nature in analogue but don’t always agree with him either. I feel your pain. Sometimes he becomes very limiting in his scope and tolerance.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Dogma , does not go far in the art of learning. Raul is entertaining and knowledgeable, but not knowledgeable in all.

Best not respond for fear of getting caught in the vortex.

Another choice for 12AX7 types might be the 6681 although its price is creeping up as well. I have invested heavily in Telefunkens and I think I have enough for a few more years of total replacement. After that it might have to be new production or maybe a total change from the Io. Good for now :)

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
I agree regarding Raul - I don't want to dismiss his views generally, it is only, he is wrong regarding the Io.

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
I have this debate with some others also, like an amp manufacturer who often posts on Audiogon, that gets it 99 percent right (in my judgement), and yet have some blind zones - like arguing that cable quality plays zero role if you used balanced connections. On this topic I just cannot agree. Even for balanced, cable construction and quality do play a role. So in my case, for example, I have moved up the levels of JPC interconnects, from the first Superconductor version, to the number two version, and then the number three version. The third version, especially, was a clear improvement.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

Audiogon link

Who cares ! He is the guy that insisted MM cartridges where much better than MC for years, not the best judge of anything :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Dogma , does not go far in the art of learning. Raul is entertaining and knowledgeable, but not knowledgeable in all.

Best not respond for fear of getting caught in the vortex.

Another choice for 12AX7 types might be the 6681 although its price is creeping up as well. I have invested heavily in Telefunkens and I think I have enough for a few more years of total replacement. After that it might have to be new production or maybe a total change from the Io. Good for now :)
David nailed it when it comes to Raul, its just not worth the effort, the guy has unlimited time, and uses google translate :p

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
I have this debate with some others also, like an amp manufacturer who often posts on Audiogon, that gets it 99 percent right (in my judgement), and yet have some blind zones - like arguing that cable quality plays zero role if you used balanced connections. On this topic I just cannot agree. Even for balanced, cable construction and quality do play a role. So in my case, for example, I have moved up the levels of JPC interconnects, from the first Superconductor version, to the number two version, and then the number three version. The third version, especially, was a clear improvement.
Now I have found for instance with Ralph of Atma-Sphere being dead right that it makes absolutely no diff if you put say a 1m XLR 10k magic stuff wire vs 50 ft of decently shielded Mogami XLR between his MA1 preamp and his mono block OTLs. To my ears, I can’t hear anything diff. Now everywhere else with this rig, IC’s, mains cables, and speaker lanyards count and give character. So, my point here is in this hobby it is all about execution and there are many exceptions to the commonly held rules...

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Ron - thank you, a very well formulated and friendly answer!

Reactions: Ron Resnick

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
DetroitVinylRob - maybe I need to recheck this. I also have some Mogami balanced ICs. I've found that differences between single-ended ICs are often very clear, yet they exist between balanced ICs also, although more subtle.

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
DetroitVinylRob - maybe I need to recheck this. I also have some Mogami balanced ICs. I've found that differences between single-ended ICs are often very clear, yet they exist between balanced ICs also, although more subtle.
In general I agree. Though I believe the situation that I described with Atma-Sphere exists because of their relatively high output and the fact that the preamp is of a dual differential balanced architecture. Unlike perhaps many or most preamplifiers. As I meant to convey, this is a somewhat unique condition and it kind of breaks the traditional rules many hold as norms. I would want to mislead you into believing I recommend Mogami over other choices in any different situation or that I was suggesting the balanced cables have no audible differences, so why anything beyond a studio level cable. But yeah, why not? I’d give them a try.

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Dual differential balanced - yes, maybe. I am very happy with my MA-1 amps, and probably would like their MP-1 also. Have you ever compared it to the Callisto (as preamps for the Io)? I think the character of the amp and speakers also plays a role, for what I hear and don't hear when experimenting with cable changes. I think my former amp, Krell FPB600, was somewhat more critical, slightly more easy to hear cable change effect - but I am not sure. My speakers at the time were also more pinpoint. On the other hand, my current system - for me - is more musical. So I tend to go for involvement with the music rather than listening for errors. This takes time, not just quick A/B testing. Or maybe I am just lazy. Or old man's ears. But if a cable change feels good, it stays there.

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
I have compared a Callisto to an MP1 with an IO. You may enjoy this thread:

Agree with much you have to say, being musical supersedes all else for these oldish ears as well. At this point I spend most time just listening, leave fiddling to the violinists. :).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing