Aesthetix Io Users Group

That's a pretty good part for the application. From the data sheet:

Motorola TMOS Power MOSFET Transistor Device Data
Designer's Data Sheet
TMOS E-FET
Power Field Effect Transistor
N–Channel Enhancement–Mode Silicon Gate

This high voltage MOSFET uses an advanced termination scheme to provide enhanced voltage–blocking capability without degrading performance over time. In addition, this advanced TMOS E–FET is designed to withstand high energy in the avalanche and commutation modes. The new energy efficient design also offers a drain–to–source diode with a fast recovery time. Designed for high voltage, high speed switching applications in power supplies, converters and PWM motor controls, these devices are particularly well suited for bridge circuits where diode speed and commutating safe operating areas are critical and offer additional safety margin against unexpected voltage transients.

• Robust High Voltage Termination
• Avalanche Energy Specified
• Source–to–Drain Diode Recovery Time Comparable to a Discrete Fast Recovery Diode
• Diode is Characterized for Use in Bridge Circuits
• IDSS and VDS(on) Specified at Elevated Temperature

From the Motorola data sheet, they are spec'ed correctly for a reliable power supply.
I think those are the transistors that always end up exploding in my Io o_O

Reactions: BoyDK
But does that mean that the speakers are at risk for receiving DC and frying?
Only Jim can really answer this as he has the prints and I have not reverse engineered it. I don't see it because the Io is ac coupled - the el34 short would take down the associated components , as mentioned, down the line because of over current. The extent of that kind of damage can be small - the tube---or large like the associated regs in the preamp, carbon tracking on the board or even the transformer.

This is all speculation and any amp or regulator with tubes in it can fail this way. I have been using my Io for 20 + years and had no problems with it- until a month or so ago. It looks like its the kind of failure spoken about here.

I am waiting patiently for an assessment as the Io is in CA now waiting for service. We'll see.

I think those are the transistors that always end up exploding in my Io o_O
These would likely be the rectifier diodes in the power supply. But I guess you are in jest.

Have you looked into what might be contributing to the repeated failure? Things like after market designer fuses could wreak havoc if not properly rated and selected. Tube quality can be suspect if they are not factory tubes or are not the exact replacement type. Any other mods would be suspect. And of course house power - any lightning or power surges. There can be quite the surge if the equipment power switch is on and the power is restored after an outage. And of course ventilation. Not pointing any fingers, just trying to think of what might contribute to failures.

The voltage regulator is the one that died in my Io way back, not these diodes.

Reactions: OGH
Well......
Seems, it indeed was a spam-folder-problem at Aesthetix, so after getting in touch with Jim White, my previous thoughts of service mindedness were certainly put to shame.
Jim is a great person to cummunicate. After all my hazards, he provided me with his thoughts and a bunch of measuring schemas, to thoroughly test both the PSU and the Io before and after repair, and ideas to avoid future failiures happening, specially from a hidden defect not found during repair.
Seems, I was quite wrong about my opinion about Aesthetix, so hereby corrected.
Going to take the units apart again, and continue the repair. There´s indeed "light at the end of the tunnel" now.
My next post will probably be about, how beautiful the sound is from a fully working Io riaa :cool:

Last edited:
These would likely be the rectifier diodes in the power supply. But I guess you are in jest.

Have you looked into what might be contributing to the repeated failure? Things like after market designer fuses could wreak havoc if not properly rated and selected. Tube quality can be suspect if they are not factory tubes or are not the exact replacement type. Any other mods would be suspect. And of course house power - any lightning or power surges. There can be quite the surge if the equipment power switch is on and the power is restored after an outage. And of course ventilation. Not pointing any fingers, just trying to think of what might contribute to failures.

The voltage regulator is the one that died in my Io way back, not these diodes.
My Io is stock with tubes that all measured well last time it went to America on vacation. Tubes in the power supply where tentatively changed last time it went haywire just out of caution. No specific faults where detected, only the result of them ! :oops: No power outs or lighting strikes, all cables here are laid in ground, large transformer station 300 m from my house on a street with 16 houses in the outskirts of a little village, power is really stable and reliable. Io has top placement with good ventilation on all sides, operated mostly in a cold climate, not being used when temperatures are high.

Well......
Seems, it indeed was a spam-folder-problem at Aesthetix, so after getting in touch with Jim White, my previous thoughts of service mindedness were certainly put to shame.
Jim is a great person to cummunicate. After all my hazards, he provided me with his thoughts and a bunch of measuring schemas, to thoroughly test both the PSU and the Io before and after repair, and ideas to avoid future failiures happening, specially from a hidden defect not found during repair.
Seems, I was quite wrong about my opinion about Aesthetix, so hereby corrected.
Going to take the units apart again, and continue the repair. There´s indeed "light at the end of the tunnel" now.
My next post will probably be about, how beautiful the sound is from a fully working Io riaa :cool:
I am crossing my fingers for you, hopefully you will succeed.:)

• Love
Me too! In my 19 years of Io ownership, mk 2 with volume and one p-s from 2004 and then shipped it to the factory for a Eclipse version upgrade, with two p-s, from 2012. I had some problems in 2015-17 and had to ship it back to the US for repair. This took a long time and was frustrating for me, but the repair cost was very fair, it was a complex problem and both volume controls had to be replaced. I am not sure of the exact diagnosis, but probably heat over time contributed to the problem, there were some soldering cracs, components going bad, etc. Maybe mainly due to my "hubris" leaving it on for long periods, to get the best sound. All in all, the Io is indeed a personal investment, and things can go wrong and repairs can take time, but Aesthetix has been good and helpful to me.

Reactions: audioquest4life
Aesthetix has been good and helpful to me.

Excellent!

Jim is very proud of his components. There is no doubt to me whatsoever that Jim wants every Aesthetix owner to be very happy, and that he will do everything he can to achieve that outcome.

Me too! In my 19 years of Io ownership, mk 2 with volume and one p-s from 2004 and then shipped it to the factory for a Eclipse version upgrade, with two p-s, from 2012. I had some problems in 2015-17 and had to ship it back to the US for repair. This took a long time and was frustrating for me, but the repair cost was very fair, it was a complex problem and both volume controls had to be replaced. I am not sure of the exact diagnosis, but probably heat over time contributed to the problem, there were some soldering cracs, components going bad, etc. Maybe mainly due to my "hubris" leaving it on for long periods, to get the best sound. All in all, the Io is indeed a personal investment, and things can go wrong and repairs can take time, but Aesthetix has been good and helpful to me.
That is a great story. Not about the technical issue, but that you have had an Io for so long and continue to use it today. I got mine around 2005–2006.

It´s been a while now.
Jim proved very helpful, and supplied various schema´s to test the Io before putting it to work.
Had to wait a while for all the replacement components, and while at it, I found out, I needed to order a decent desoldering station as well.
Removing the two Io channels from the enclosure took some time too, but for now all defects have been replaced, everything is back together in their respective enclosures.
Only remains are to thoroughly test the PSU and riaa channels according to Jim´s schema´s, before connecting it all and turn "on" the power.
Will update you all in a couple of days, on how this played out :cool:

I did finally get a synopsis of my Io and the work to be done from Aesthetix. Even though I am at Eclipse status I am doing all the work that @oldvinyl has been talking about to both PS chassis even though only one needs the work. New transformers , caps and grounding to bring it up to the current standard. At least we now have a plan. I have had my Io in some iteration since 2005 and the only real service it had was the Eclipse upgrade up to this point.

Hopefully, just in time for the cooler weather and the indoor season.

I did finally get a synopsis of my Io and the work to be done from Aesthetix. Even though I am at Eclipse status I am doing all the work that @oldvinyl has been talking about to both PS chassis even though only one needs the work. New transformers , caps and grounding to bring it up to the current standard. At least we now have a plan. I have had my Io in some iteration since 2005 and the only real service it had was the Eclipse upgrade up to this point.

Hopefully, just in time for the cooler weather and the indoor season.
Good luck ! :)

Reactions: BoyDK and Kcin
audioquest4life wrote

"That is a great story. Not about the technical issue, but that you have had an Io for so long and continue to use it today. I got mine around 2005–2006."

Yes the story is that I've kept my loyalty to Aesthetix despite some severe problems and waiting times, including high transatlantic shipping costs for repairs. Why? I trust my ears. I don't want another phono preamp.

Repair of Aesthetix Callisto in Germany. No need for transatlantic transport.
Now the big question for me, where in Germany are you located Reinhard ? :)

Hi Reinhard,

Are you an Aesthetix factory trained and authorized service center in Germany?

No, but 50 years experience with medical and high end electronics .

Ron, as you are in the USA it is not of interest for you.

This Callisto was from Hannover and the customer got it back after some days.

Last edited:
On September 4, 2023, Jim White wrote here:

Aesthetix has distribution in over 30 countries, and each distribution partner maintains service facilities and personnel. In some cases these personnel have visited Aesthetix in the USA for extensive factory training, and in other cases I have visited them for training. During these visits we are able to assess technicians' abilities to repair, upgrade and maintain Aesthetix's products, and decide whether to authorize them to perform this work. Factory authorized technicians are located in numerous countries, including Scandinavia, the United Kingdom, the EU, several Asian countries, Australia and several other regions as well.

When we are contacted by a third party technician (not factory trained or authorized) wishing to repair an Io, we almost universally advise that the unit be serviced by our distributor or authorized service center for that country or region. Io repairs are rarely simple or easy, and our ability to train a third party technician on the appropriate procedures is severely limited due to the breadth of information required. In repairs done at the factory or at authorized service centers, at the time of a repair, we will advise the customer of required or optional updates and upgrades to extend the life of the product, to improve sound quality and to minimize future repairs. Electronic products approaching 30 years old often have other parts that should be replaced at the same time.

As a consumer when a product is repaired by a third-party technician in contact with the factory, the consumer assumes the repair is done correctly and the product is fully tested. As the manufacturer we have no ability to assess the quality of work of a third-party technician, or of the completeness of repairs. This could result in a future failure that could have been prevented, or even could cause a safety hazard, which, sadly we have seen.

Where, as here with Aesthetix, an owner can have a component repaired by a factory authorized technician it makes no sense to me to have the component evaluated and attempted to be repaired by an unauthorized, third-party technician. I, personally, would never have a non-factory authorized, third-party technician touch one my components when there is a procedure for repair by a factory authorized technician.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing