Any Bergmann "Galder" owners here ?

Galder Trio.jpg

Pulled the trigger and ordered a black velvet & silver Galder with vacuum hold down & the Odin tonearm. Any cartridge recommendations ? How about the second tone-arm ? I have a Van den Hul Colibri platimum that I was thinking of using...

Though the new black & 24k Gold Galder looks stunning, it would look out of place in my system. The black velvet & silver Galder should compliment the black & silver Ethos CD player and of course the rest of the Gryphon electronics. Looking forward to having a reference turntable in the system again. My last reference table was a Brinkmann Balance. I have approx. 7,000 records, so no shortage in the software department.

I have a fully kitted out vintage Luxman PD-444 with a couple of tonearms & various mono cartridges for playing pre RIAA and RIAA reissues through a mono phono stage with variable EQ. So I am set there, thanks.

Galder_velvet black & silver.jpg

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
That's the color combo we have :)

We have mounted Air Tights, Ortofons, ZYX, all with great success. Curious about that vdH, but you can't go wrong with an Air Tight Opus 1 on it.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Someone told me the softer suspension of vdh might not work with an air bearing arm, no experience myself.

Red sparrow on linear trackers including the Sindre was amazing, but always heard those on SETs horns.

Reactions: gian60

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I love this turntable. What's the MSRP? and with the arm?

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway
View attachment 62657

Pulled the trigger and ordered a black velvet & silver Galder with vacuum hold down & the Odin tonearm. Any cartridge recommendations ? How about the second tone-arm ? I have a Van den Hul Colibri platimum that I was thinking of using...

Though the new black & 24k Gold Galder looks stunning, it would look out of place in my system. The black velvet & silver Galder should compliment the black & silver Ethos CD player and of course the rest of the Gryphon electronics. Looking forward to having a reference turntable in the system again. My last reference table was a Brinkmann Balance. I have approx. 7,000 records, so no shortage in the software department.

I have a fully kitted out vintage Luxman PD-444 with a couple of tonearms & various mono cartridges for playing pre RIAA and RIAA reissues through a mono phono stage with variable EQ. So I am set there, thanks.

View attachment 62658
I have the Galder/Odin with the VdH pickup. I think its great. PM me for more if you are interested. Kind regards

Reactions: bonzo75 and asiufy

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hogen, did you order it specifically for the Odin?

Reactions: gian60 and hogen

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway
Hogen, did you order it specifically for the Odin?
No I did not, but I will be sending it for the 300h service soon and will then specify the Odin arm.

Reactions: bonzo75

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I think of Mike's CS Port when I look at the Galder. Perhaps the Etsuro Gold is a good choice here, too. I'm very interested in hearing this table as well.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Philip,

I have a Bergman Galder/Odin combo. Mine is all black which I feel is the best look for my system and personal taste. In fact I cannot walk by without noting its beauty. I have a ZYX Universe Optimum mounted in the arm which I think sounds amazing. It retains that ZYX warm sound with substantially more detailed imaging and sound stage than I have heard on 12" pivots. I believe that the increased focus and sound stage details is largely attributable the ease of the arm maintaining tangentiality all the way across the record. It has a sound that is very distinctly a straight tracker (my fourth and clearly the best of what I have owned in including a Rockport Sirius 6000 and M&K Rabco (mine is #120/120 meaning it was the most advanced of the series)).t

The overall design of the combo is just is amazing. It is "breataking" from an industrial design perspective and undoubtedly incredibally sophisticated and yet simple in a way that I can only describe as "exquisite". I got mine in early September and am still tweaking, partially because it is new as was my ZYX and thus still breaking in.

I live in a hostile environment with salt water on two sides of my house, which can increase the friction on the arm tube, although Johnny has a clever and easy way to correct for this on the fly by adjusting the arm pressure to insure that the arm sits properly on the tube with no contact on any side of the arm's air bearing so that when that slides on the arm air tube there is always an air gap of 360 degrees between the arm air tube and the air bearing ring at the base of the arm.

I believe that Johnny's design of using a fairly long air bearing tube at the base of the arm means that as it moves along the air bar there are more jets within, than if the tube was shorter as is the case with my Rockport. It seems like it also helps insure tangentiality at all times. There is abolutely no image shift as the arm progresses as is the case with most straight trackers, which I believe is helped by its width and the absense of minor lacks of tangentiality and the drive system then shifting it back to tangential

The only thing I am not fond of is adjusting the counter weight, because the arm is so light that miniscule changes to with counter weight can easily make a bigger tracking force change greater than desired. So what that means is patience is necessary to get the force just right, compared to a unipivot where the total arm mass so much bigger that counter weight changes do not impact tracking to the extent that they on the Bergmann.

I live at the Jersey Shore about an hour from NYC and just a bit further to Philly. My entire system is new with everything breaking in and thus fluctuating sound, plus several electrical and vibration issues that are being resolved. While it usually sounds pretty amazing, it still has it's days. The system design is essentially a younger sib of the Von Schweikert/VAC system that always wins best of show, with me having VSA Ultra 9's instead of Ultra 11's and less VAC power.

If this peaks your interest, let me know and we can figure out a visit.

Last edited:

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
That's one of the best looking turntables out there, just gorgeous!
Bergmann also offers a 40kg (that's 90 pounds!) copper platter upgrade (3400€), which IMO looks even better than the aluminum one

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I first thought the Galder was direct drive, but when I read about it on the Brinkman Web site, there was not much information on the drive system (or I missed it.) Would those with knowledge pls explain.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I first thought the Galder was direct drive, but when I read about it on the Brinkman Web site, there was not much information on the drive system (or I missed it.) Would those with knowledge pls explain.

This is Bergmann, not Brinkmann.

Reactions: gian60 and marmota

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
BTW, I forgot to mention that my Bergmann sits on a Vibraplane, on a 700 pound granite isolation table. Providing that the tracking force is correct, the suspensition is much more effective than you might guess based on its weight. A real test will occur on Monday when my Taiko SGM Extreme arrives and gets connected to my MSB Refrence DAC, connected by a MasterBuilt Ultra USB cable. I will let you know how the Bergmann fairs against this fairly heavy weight music source.

Last edited:

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I need to visit @asiufy for a listen. This table checks all the boxes for me. Multiple arm capable, belt-driven massive platter, air bearing, vacuum hold down, linear tracker. I haven't thought about a TT upgrade since getting the Stabi M years ago, but now.... that copper platter might just be the final straw.

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
The only thing I don't like about the turntable is the air pump box, I wish they could put it in a "fancier" box that shares similar dimensions with the turntable, like Techdas is doing.
To illustrate:

Of course, minor nitpick, but that would take it from 9.5/10 to 10/10 aesthetically IMHO

Reactions: Vienna

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I know one in Rome that write in Italian forum,that tried for one week Galder with Odin,and a second week AF3P with Graham Elite 12 "
and bought AF3P and told me was much better for him.
Now better i can understand,much better seems too much

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
My interest in Galder (i have no judgement myself though I recently heard it at an audiophile's place with different carts) is to have red sparrow on linear tracker. For me it is a cheaper option than Vyger. For other carts and pivots Brinkmann balance to me is the more sensible option.

Fremer has reviewed both and he answers queries over stereophile.

I know one in Rome that write in Italian forum,that tried for one week Galder with Odin,and a second week AF3P with Graham Elite 12 "
and bought AF3P and told me was much better for him.
Now better i can understand,much better seems too much

Reactions: gian60

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
The only thing I don't like about the turntable is the air pump box, I wish they could put it in a "fancier" box that shares similar dimensions with the turntable, like Techdas is doing.
To illustrate:

Of course, minor nitpick, but that would take it from 9.5/10 to 10/10 aesthetically IMHO

It'll also probably make the price 10/10.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
bazelio,

I know the Kuzma well, and this is on another level. A Kuzma 4point on the Galder, along with the Odin, will likely be lotsa fun!

marmota,

Maybe you can ask Johnny, perhaps he'll entertain designing you a properly acoustically silent, fancier looking box!

I personally like it the way it is, as it just reinforces the Galder's fantastic price x performance ratio, and I mostly leave ours off to the side of the room anyway. But I do understand people wanting more pizzazz out of their audio gear :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing