Apple iPhone 5 vs Samsung G/S4

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
My Apple 4S phone died last week. It was barely out of Apple warranty but was still good on Verizon warranty for a replacement at $99... It looks as the internal battery had leaked and caused corrosion and ate into the power connection pins... Thus I couldn't charge no more...though the phone is fine there's no way to get the contact lists and photos out.

If I were to take Verizon 0$ replacement offer, I would have to relinquish the phone and all my stuff is will be long gone... So they offered me an upgrade to iPhone 5 for $199, let me keep the dead 4 (to be taken to China for data extraction). When asked about other option of Samsung's new G/S4, it will be available on May 23. The kind lady also told me that if I were to take home the iPhone 5 and was not happy with it within 14 days, I could bring it back and exchange for a Samsung S4.

As a person who had been using the 4S as a "phone," email device, take photos during my travels, read home newspapers, and do FB only, I can't tell much difference with 5.

Has anyone tried both Apple 5 and Samsung G/S4 and tell me which phone will be better for my above use?

thanks,
Ki

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
The Samsung is superior to the Apple in every aspect except one - there are more games in the App store. Otherwise, it has a larger screen, better camera, better battery life, more customizable, and works the way you want it to (rather than the way Apple forces you to work). Case in point: there is no way to change the default web browser, launcher, email, dialler, or maps application on iOS. On an android you can use anything you want. You can even make your Galaxy S4 look like an Apple if that's what you wanted!

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
The Samsung is superior to the Apple in every aspect except one - there are more games in the App store. Otherwise, it has a larger screen, better camera, better battery life, more customizable, and works the way you want it to (rather than the way Apple forces you to work). Case in point: there is no way to change the default web browser, launcher, email, dialler, or maps application on iOS. On an android you can use anything you want. You can even make your Galaxy S4 look like an Apple if that's what you wanted!

Yes, the SPECS are superior indeed.
But it's not superior where it matters: usability.

alexandre

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Yes, the SPECS are superior indeed.
But it's not superior where it matters: usability.

An iPhone is a crippled gadget with the advanced features hidden because Apple assumes their users are idiots. Which they are. It's like comparing a pocket calculator to a spreadsheet and complaining that the spreadsheet is too complicated.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

there is indeed a way to change the browser and it's free. Google Chrome is a free app as is Google maps in the app store. I have been using both ever since they have become available

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
If you tap on a link in an email, does it open in Safari or Chrome? If you ask Siri to show you directions to somewhere, does it open in Apple Maps or Google Maps? Come to think of it ... suppose you don't want Siri. Can you choose a third party voice search engine?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Steve Williams

indeed there are and I have done it

BTW, I use Chrome for everything and everywhere. I would recommend it on the iphone and I also have no problems if I click on a link and Safari is used as the default browser

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Hmm, really? I just picked up my wife's iPhone 5 and asked Siri to show me directions to the nearest cinema. It opened in Apple Maps. If you could tell me how to get it to default to Google maps, both she and I would be grateful.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Any argument over cell phone capabilities or preferences is as futile as discussing our preferences for tubes/solid state, analog/digital, or specific audio brands. It comes down to how we use our devices and how these may or may not integrate with all of our other devices.

Steve Williams

Any argument over cell phone capabilities or preferences is as futile as discussing our preferences for tubes/solid state, analog/digital, or specific audio brands. It comes down to how we use our devices and how these may or may not integrate with all of our other devices.

I agree but it is always fun debating these issues with Keith as he is our resident iphone basher ;)

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
.. who won't hesitate to call iPhone users idiots. he surely thinks highly of himself.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
What else would I call someone who willingly pays too much money to one of the richest companies in the world, to receive an inferior experience, get locked in, and get sucked dry? If you are not a tech n00b, you are an idiot.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
This idiot here feels no need to have email links open in anything other than Safari. Or Apple Maps.
And besides, this idiot here also knows how to copy and paste, since it's simple and intuitive enough that even an idiot knows how to do it.
And as Steve clearly laid out, if you for some reason don't like what comes standard in your phone, you're free to download alternatives. From an app store that's not full of crapware and viruses.

alexandre

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
What else would I call someone who willingly pays too much money to one of the richest companies in the world, to receive an inferior experience, get locked in, and get sucked dry? If you are not a tech n00b, you are an idiot.

An idiot is someone who can't see beyond his own needs and requirements.
Just because you like classical music, that doesn't make everybody else idiots, or yourself superior.
Just because you like to have a zillion options everywhere you look, in your phone no less, doesn't make people who just want a phone to be a...erm... phone, idiots.
Sure, if you want 8-core CPUs in your pocket, just to make a phone call and look up a map, go for it. If you want to carry around a device that you need 2 hands to carry around and use properly, go ahead, do it. There's enough people out there like yourself to guarantee the existance of such device for the foreseeable future. But don't call "idiots" people who just want something simpler, that just works, without a million configurable options and wasteful b*****t.

I guess we've answered Ki Choi's question :)
There's no such thing as a general "better". There's "better for me", and "better for YYY". I suggest he gives both a try, and find out for himself what works best for his activities.

alexandre

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

One thing has to be brought to focus: Apple almost uncanny usability. Things Apple are almost self evident. It doesn't take long to figure how they work. And for the most part they work incredibly well. In comparison many things Android look like a copy ... Many things against Apple bu those two strike me as being foremost:
1) Samsung products and Android seem to be improving faster than APple's and IOS
2) Apple looks more and more like an evil-doing company. The latest tax problems are not going to help change this perception. I for one am annoyed by their arrogance ...I am typing this on an iPad :) ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing