Cable Modems

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
currently using the Fritz 5530 with direct fiber link to the incoming ISP fiber, no audio setup as of yet in the new house but it's one more SMPS avoided.

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
Turn the wireless off in your router for a nice performance lift. There is a guy on Audiogon talking about it so I tried it. Now cannot go back.

Setup = Arris CM8200 cable modem > TP Link Archer wifi-router.

Turn off the radio wireless in TP-Link Archer. Make sure to turn off both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz.
You still need wireless access of course, so I connected a cheap TP-Link wifi access point back to a router LAN port via ethernet cable. This makes the wi-fi isolated and external to the router.

This improved everything subtly, but is well worth the effort. These wi-fi chips, when active, must be causing a huge amount of noise internally in the router, effecting everything downstream.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Turn the wireless off in your router for a nice performance lift. There is a guy on Audiogon talking about it so I tried it. Now cannot go back.

Setup = Arris CM8200 cable modem > TP Link Archer wifi-router.

Turn off the radio wireless in TP-Link Archer. Make sure to turn off both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz.
You still need wireless access of course, so I connected a cheap TP-Link wifi access point back to a router LAN port via ethernet cable. This makes the wi-fi isolated and external to the router.

This improved everything subtly, but is well worth the effort. These wi-fi chips, when active, must be causing a huge amount of noise internally in the router, effecting everything downstream.
Interesting. Do you have any issues with multiple router fighting to assign IP address?

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
indeed , taking WIFI out of te router is nice improvement, thanks for reminding me that I need to buy another Fritz mesh repeater!

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
indeed , taking WIFI out of te router is nice improvement, thanks for reminding me that I need to buy another Fritz mesh repeater!
I'm gonna try this. I think it will work well. I sort of feel a need to get a half decent second, wifi router. Or, do I just need a LPS to go to the wifi router to reduce backfeed noise. I have LPS on all the other pieces.

Either way, I remember when I discovered using an external router in itself, separate from the modem was a big improvement. It seem any time you can reduce the load to any one piece in this chain, the performance improves overall.

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
Usually you can switch off WIFI in the router and connect an access point via cable, you really want an LPS for the router AND WIFI switched off inside the router.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Usually you can switch off WIFI in the router and connect an access point via cable, you really want an LPS for the router AND WIFI switched off inside the router.
Yes, your saying you have to access the primary router software and switch off WIFI. You leave it on in the second access point WIFI router.
I will have to watch some UTube on my Asus to figure it out. That is something I hardly ever mess with.

People should also remember you want WIFI switched off in the modem too.

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
Yes, your saying you have to access the primary router software and switch off WIFI. You leave it on in the second access point WIFI router.
I will have to watch some UTube on my Asus to figure it out. That is something I hardly ever mess with.

People should also remember you want WIFI switched off in the modem too.
not really, I have one router, which has internal WIFI and an external Mesh WIFI repeater, I just need to add another WIFI repeater connected to the router via cableand switch off WIFI in the router itself

Reactions: agisthos

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
Interesting. Do you have any issues with multiple router fighting to assign IP address?
Yes but you turn off DHCP (IP assigning) in every device but the main router. If your cable modem is the router, use that.

In my example, the TP-Link wireless access point gets its ip address from the main TP-Link wi-fi router (the one with the wireless turned off).

It will take an IT savvy tech to do it.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
not really, I have one router, which has internal WIFI and an external Mesh WIFI repeater, I just need to add another WIFI repeater connected to the router via cableand switch off WIFI in the router itself
Ahh, different hardware. A repeater, not a additional router. Like this.

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
I do have multiple LPS for the main system, but when it comes to the kitchen pantry setup of cable modem, router and wireless access point, I am powering them all with iFi X’s.

Nice gain in performance for only $100 US each.

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
You do not want a wi-fi repeater, or a wi-fi extender, you want a wi-fi access point. They are different.
Agree for the primary WIFI source, yet I need at least one repeater yet some can do both, depending on how you set them up.
(have a Fritz repeater, but in the process of moving house so I'm happy the network is up....to be continued

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I called my computer tech and.scheduled a tech to be here and work the software for me. I use one Ifi PS already. I will probably get another.

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
Our cell phones need WiFi while we are at home, so don't think that is an option for us.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Our cell phones need WiFi while we are at home, so don't think that is an option for us.
??????? My cell uses wifi for mail and text. Not talk. I don't see why that functionality would change.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
This is the router my guy is talking about. He says a router and access point do the same thing. He carries the Eero wifi system 3rd generation. Is there any reason this would not work?

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
??????? My cell uses wifi for mail and text. Not talk. I don't see why that functionality would change.
Don't know what I was thinking.
As long as all our computers, music server, and DirecTV are hard wired (Cat6), there should be no need of us to have WiFi turned on.
We test out this week.
Thanks!

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
If I want to hear what adding an access point might sound like, I really only have to log into my router, to to professional and turn off the Radio. That will kill the WIFI. Correct.

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
@Kingrex Yes that’s correct. In router advanced settings there may be 2 radio settings to turn off, one for each of 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

And yes, a wifi access point can also act as a router, but you want this functionality turned off (DHCP Server = disabled) so you are not running double routers on the network.

Wifi access points can also act as range extenders, but if it’s your only wireless device you need to set the operation mode to Access Point.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarcelNL

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing