Cable Modems

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Xymox, I’ll hopefully be moving soon, to an area that unfortunately doesn’t have fiber (I’m going to miss Verizon FiOS). The place where I’m going does offer up to 1 Gbps via copper into the home, and does allow the homeowner to supply their own modem as long as it’s on their approved list. For 1G service the only one on the list is a Netgear CAX80. At 400 Mbps they have a rather large list, as shown below. Any recommendations (if I don’t go 1G) as to which of these would be best? Or should I just go for the CAX80 even if I choose a slower service?

The only DOCSIS 3.1 modem supplied by them is a Technicolor TC4400.
  • Arris SB6183
  • Arris SB6190
  • Arris SBG6950AC2
  • Arris SBG7400AC2
  • Arris SBG7580
  • Arris SBG7580-AC
  • ASUS CM-32
  • ASUS CM-32_AC2600
  • Linksys CG7500
  • Linksys CM3016
  • Linksys CM3024
  • Motorola MB7621
  • Motorola MG7700
  • Motorola MB8600
  • Netgear C6900
  • Netgear C7000
  • Netgear C7000v2
  • Netgear CM500-100NAS
  • Netgear CM600
  • Netgear CM700
  • Netgear CM1000v2
  • TP-Link CR1900

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Xymox, I’ll hopefully be moving soon, to an area that unfortunately doesn’t have fiber (I’m going to miss Verizon FiOS). The place where I’m going does offer up to 1 Gbps via copper into the home, and does allow the homeowner to supply their own modem as long as it’s on their approved list. For 1G service the only one on the list is a Netgear CAX80. At 400 Mbps they have a rather large list, as shown below. Any recommendations (if I don’t go 1G) as to which of these would be best? Or should I just go for the CAX80 even if I choose a slower service?

The only DOCSIS 3.1 modem supplied by them is a Technicolor TC4400.
  • Arris SB6183
  • Arris SB6190
  • Arris SBG6950AC2
  • Arris SBG7400AC2
  • Arris SBG7580
  • Arris SBG7580-AC
  • ASUS CM-32
  • ASUS CM-32_AC2600
  • Linksys CG7500
  • Linksys CM3016
  • Linksys CM3024
  • Motorola MB7621
  • Motorola MG7700
  • Motorola MB8600
  • Netgear C6900
  • Netgear C7000
  • Netgear C7000v2
  • Netgear CM500-100NAS
  • Netgear CM600
  • Netgear CM700
  • Netgear CM1000v2
  • TP-Link CR1900

Do you know which chip (Intel or Broadcom) the CAX80 uses?

Thanks

Matt

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
I think it’s based on the Broadcom BCM3390.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
I may have been mistaken. I can't seem to find where I thought I saw that.

LeBlanc

Aug 14, 2019
The Netherlands
I believe it has a router and WiFi built-in. I would avoid it if possible and use just a simple cable modem.
An all-in-one device has at least three functions - a cable modem, a router, and a WiFi access points. Most of them are noisy devices, and I would avoid them in my (audio) network, even if you can power them with a good linear power supply. Here is a general formula that has worked quite well for everyone who has tried it:
1. Use a good dedicated cable modem rather than an all-in-one device. I have good experience with Cisco DPC 3008 and Arris SB8200. Power up with a good linear power supply.
2. Use a dedicated router. The Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X (make sure you configure hardware NAT) is a good choice. You can also configure a seperate VLAN for your audio, but that's a little bit more advanced and you need to know what you are doing - there is some benefit in sound quality but not nearly as much as the other items I have listed here. Power up with good linear power supply. I use Sean Jacobs DC3, but there are many good cheaper options.
3. Use a dedicated WiFi access point. There are many good options. The Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD is a good option for example. But that's a noisy device and I prefer to isolate it galvanically from my network. See #4.
4. Use a fiber media converter to isolate your WiFi from the rest of your network. You will need a media convertor, two transceivers, and a fiber cable for that. One of the transceivers goes to the SFP port on the Ubiquiti router, the other one goes to the media converter, and you connect both with a fiber cable. Then you connect the copper RJ45 port of the media convertor to the Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD access point.

Hope that helps!

Have been looking into this as my modem unfortunately is also on the bad modems list. With regard to steps 3 and 4 of @nenon‘s suggestions, I saw Ubiquiti is releasing a product with an SFP port that could be used as WiFi access point: the Unifi Dream Machine SE. This would eliminate the need for a separate FMC.

Johnny Moondog

Oct 30, 2014
ARRIS SB8200 has arrived, and am now shopping for an LPS. It looks like the SB8200 power cord connector is 2.5mm, but that's just a guess. I could not find any specification in the user manual or ARRIS website. Can someone confirm?

And the same for the UBIQUITI EdgeRouter X SFP?

Last edited:

auricgoldfinger

Dec 8, 2019
ARRIS SB8200 has arrived, and am now shopping for an LPS. It looks like the SB8200 power cord connector is 2.5mm, but that's just a guess. I could not find any specification in the user manual or ARRIS website. Can someone confirm?

And the same for the UBIQUITI EdgeRouter X SFP?

The ARRIS requires a 2.5mm connector. I don't know about the EdgeRouter.

ketcham

Industry Expert
Feb 29, 2016
UBIQUITI EdgeRouter X SFP - I used to have this unit and I am certain the plug was the same as SB8200.

Johnny Moondog

Oct 30, 2014

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I have a Modem Aris SB 8200 with a dedicated LPS. Router Asus RT-AC5300 with a dedicated LPS and a Linear Solution Switch with dedicated LPS. I have all Blue Jeans Cat 6 throughout my network.

I use to have an all in one modem/Router. When I switched to separates I immediately noted a jump in Sound Quality. My streaming is excellent. It is not as good a files in my server with HQ Player handing them to my DAC.

Johnny Moondog

Oct 30, 2014
I want to purchase a linear power supply for the SB8200 Modem and EdgeRouter X SFP, but have no experience with LPS.

While doing research online, I remembered I had an iFi iPower 12v in the closet. It's not an LPS, but thought why not replace the standard SB8200 wall wart until something nice arrives. The specs matched — 12V, center positive connector, and 2.5mm — but when I connected the iFi the SB8200 did not receive power.

So now I'm a bit nervous that I don't know what I'm doing. And before I attempt to purchase some expensive LPS units, I thought I would ask what others are using or would recommend?

Thanks for any advice!

auricgoldfinger

Dec 8, 2019
I want to purchase a linear power supply for the SB8200 Modem and EdgeRouter X SFP, but have no experience with LPS.

While doing research online, I remembered I had an iFi iPower 12v in the closet. It's not an LPS, but thought why not replace the standard SB8200 wall wart until something nice arrives. The specs matched — 12V, center positive connector, and 2.5mm — but when I connected the iFi the SB8200 did not receive power.

So now I'm a bit nervous that I don't know what I'm doing. And before I attempt to purchase some expensive LPS units, I thought I would ask what others are using or would recommend?

Thanks for any advice!

What is your price point for an LPS with a good DC cable?

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Routers take a good load of power. Modems a little less. You need something pretty robust. A Keces duel rail will handle the modem and router. Get a decent dc power cord too. And don't forget about the switch. I have the Linear Solution switch with LPS. I hear the uptone audio switch is also good. You could get that and some power supplies from them. Its going to cost you $2k to set it up correct. You will hear a difference. Not hugh, but not small. I always say, digital is about cumulative gains.

Johnny Moondog

Oct 30, 2014
What is your price point for an LPS with a good DC cable?

At this point I'd like to find out what's out there that people have had success with. That will help me decide how much I want to spend.

I've looked at the Paul Hynes SR4 having heard great things about his LPS. And I read here that nenon is using a Sean Jacobs DC3 for the EdgeRouter. Would either of those be overkill for the SB8200, and a better choice for the EdgeRouter X SFP?

And I just remembered the UltraCap LPS-1.2 as I have one powering an SOtM sNH-10G switch. Would that be a good choice for the SB8200?

Also... are power connector barrel lengths a variable? It looked like the barrel length on the SB8200 connector was a bit shorter than the length on the iFi connector, and perhaps that's the reason it did not work.

Last edited:

auricgoldfinger

Dec 8, 2019
You can't go wrong with the SR4, Farad Super3, or DC3. Keep in mind that the quality of your DC cable is important in achieving optimal performance of your LPS. I consider DC cables to be components themselves. The SB8200 requires a 5.5/2.5mm barrel connector.

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
Can anyone confirm the SB 8200 is compatible with Spectrum? Arris' website lists the SB 8200 as Spectrum compatible but Spectrum's modem compatibility list doesn't show the 8200.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Paul Hynes is overkill and too hard to get. You want something with 3 amps or more for one device. 5 amps is better. A keces P3 with 3 amps is $400. If you go with a Keces P8 with 8 amps (2 x 4 amp), you can run 2 devices. That is $700. So you save $100.

Most any power supply will work with a Surfboard Modem. It just needs a good 3 amps or more. And per Goldfinger, a good DC cable is always better. You can hear the difference.

It is not a bad idea to have a quality power cable to the LPS. While you at it, lace you system with at least Blue Jeans Cat 6 cable. Cat 5 is garbage. Don't use it. The sonic difference between Cat5 and Cat6 is greater than Cat6 to Cat7.

Keep all your digital infrastructure on the same phase as all your audio gear. Its also good to get a "Isolator" for your Data utility. Unless its fiber. Without it, you run the risk of a ground loop.

Reactions: Rocoa

Swisstrips

Jan 15, 2016
Paul Hynes is overkill and too hard to get. You want something with 3 amps or more for one device. 5 amps is better. A keces P3 with 3 amps is $400. If you go with a Keces P8 with 8 amps (2 x 4 amp), you can run 2 devices. That is $700. So you save $100.

Most any power supply will work with a Surfboard Modem. It just needs a good 3 amps or more. And per Goldfinger, a good DC cable is always better. You can hear the difference.

It is not a bad idea to have a quality power cable to the LPS. While you at it, lace you system with at least Blue Jeans Cat 6 cable. Cat 5 is garbage. Don't use it. The sonic difference between Cat5 and Cat6 is greater than Cat6 to Cat7.

Keep all your digital infrastructure on the same phase as all your audio gear. Its also good to get a "Isolator" for your Data utility. Unless its fiber. Without it, you run the risk of a ground loop.

Just to clarify - the SB8200 spec says 12v/2A (which the 2A refers "peak" if I'm not mistaken) so wouldn't the keces P3 be more than adequate?

Also if one wanted to power 2 devices say a router and modem (both with 2A ratings or less) would the dual output P3 (12v/3A + 12V/3A) be a good choice as well?

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Just to clarify - the SB8200 spec says 12v/2A (which the 2A refers "peak" if I'm not mistaken) so wouldn't the keces P3 be more than adequate?

Also if one wanted to power 2 devices say a router and modem (both with 2A ratings or less) would the dual output P3 (12v/3A + 12V/3A) be a good choice as well?
No on P3 for 2 devices. Yes on P8 for 2 devices.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing