Cable Modems

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO
If I read this correctly you have a cable modem, an Ethernet wired router, and then a Wireless Router as well. Is this easy to configure?
In this order?
1. Install sb8200 and get spectrum yo set up.
2. Connect to an Ethernet Wire only router. Will. I have to configure it or just connect?
3. Connect the wired Ethernet router to the WiFi router. Anything special with this?

My main question. Do I have to have special skills to implement this system or will everything talk to each other out of the box with normal setup for each item? Like install software, configuration, etc.

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I was running wifi all along and recently changed to wired connection to great effect. Removing the wifi card from the streamer/NUC gave a great boost to SQ. I don't use Tidal/Quboz, hence nothing streamed from internet but I do stream from a NAS.
My network is as follows

Cable ---> Arris SB6121 ---> Netgear Orbi Wifi Router ---> Edgerouter X SFP ----- fiber ----> eR (B) ---> Streamer

The NAS is connected to one of the A side port of eR (difficult to draw here).

The Arris/Orbi/Edgerouter is in a different room and there are couple of other network devices (like a Vonage router, a media server) connected to the Edgerouter. I run a long fiber connection to the audio room connected to the fiber port A side of eR. (I also have a Sotm sNH-10G loaned from a friend that I am playing with)

As you can see the audio path for the local streaming is all copper and isolated from the rest of the wifi network but I am not sure if its the optimal. I have ordered the SB8200 to replace the SB6121 to see if it further improves SQ - note, both 6121 and 8200 are BCM based but 8200 is DOCSIS 3.1 compliant. If the 8200 still makes an impact, it will be welcomed but I will have no idea why :)

I used to have a similar configuration to yours, and, upon taking the advice of @nenon, realized a decent improvement in sound quality.

I was going :

Arris SB8200 --> Orbi Router --> Edgerouter EX SFP (Layer 2 switch) --> etherRegen (A side).

I switched to:

A. Arris SB8200 --> Edgerouter EX SFP (WAN+2LAN2)--> etherRegen (A side)

B. Arris SB8200 --> Edgerouter EX SFP (WAN+2LAN2)--> fiber --> Startech FMC --> Orbi Router --> Rest of home devices.

The fiber in this case isolates the Edgerouter from home device noise

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO
So the startech is better than the EtherRegen? I cant tell which one you favor A or B.

Thuan

Apr 20, 2020
I think he connects the Arris SB8200 output to the Edge router. Port A on the router is then connected to etherRegen. Port B also on the router is connected via fiber to Orbi router which provides gateway to the home devices.

Unless I'm wrong and he's using two Edge routers, which sounds overkill and redundant but it isn't because IMHO the boost in SQ is likely to be even more.

As my current layout is similar to the first assumption, I may buy another router and deploy the second layout, hoping for further SQ improvement.

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I think he connects the Arris SB8200 output to the Edge router. Port A on the router is then connected to etherRegen. Port B also on the router is connected via fiber to Orbi router which provides gateway to the home devices.

Unless I'm wrong and he's using two Edge routers, which sounds overkill and redundant but it isn't because IMHO the boost in SQ is likely to be even more.

As my current layout is similar to the first assumption, I may buy another router and deploy the second layout, hoping for further SQ improvement.

I'm using just one Edgerouter. You are right about the other points.

Reactions: Thuan

zonto

Apr 13, 2017
Have people found any benefit to using a cable TV ground loop isolator (something like the Jensen VRD-1FF) in front of their cable modem hookup if they are not experiencing any ground loop symptoms? I know that folks that have cable boxes hooked up to their TV often have ground loop issues, but have not seen any discussion about isolators for those who only subscribe to cable internet service.

My only experience with the cable ground was turning off my cable modem once when I had headphones plugged in to the audio system when powered on and hearing a turn-on thump through the headphones when I turned the modem back on. Never heard any hum or buzz, etc.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
If anything it will stop a lightning strike from traveling over the ethernet cables.

zonto

Apr 13, 2017
If anything it will stop a lightning strike from traveling over the ethernet cables.
Even if the cable connection is grounded to the electrical box outside per local code?

Looks like the Jensen is just a ground loop isolator, but does not offer surge protection. I have found on Amazon and elsewhere a few in-line isolators that purport to offer surge protection from companies like TII or Holland, but I’m not sure how effective they actually are.

Last edited:

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Ground on the primary, float on the secondary.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
It's not a surge device. It provides isolation from the primary. It is possible a large voltage could jump the separation, but the Jensen will generally fail leaving the circuit open and your gear protected if lightning hits the telephone line.

Reactions: zonto

ketcham

Industry Expert
Feb 29, 2016
Jensen - I removed it because it actually hindered my internet speed. Ping 10 ms, 350 Mbps (download) and 30 Mps (upload). By 2/3-3/4th. Drastic.

There were sonic benefits. I would reconsider if I had a dedicated audio cable internet connection. There would be a benefit in a power surge situation.

http://ep2000.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/EP-catalog-2017.pdf

I installed EP2500 on my main home circuit and a second on a sub-panel then later for different reasons I installed a wall mount Torus Power isolation transformer. This was an unintended triple redundancy. I do recommend one on your main home, especially living in the Midwest.

Last edited:

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Jensen - I removed it because it actually hindered my internet speed. Ping 10 ms, 350 Mbps (download) and 30 Mps (upload). By 2/3-3/4th. Drastic.

There were sonic benefits. I would reconsider if I had a dedicated audio cable internet connection. There would be a benefit in a power surge situation.

http://ep2000.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/EP-catalog-2017.pdf

I installed EP2500 on my main home circuit and a second on a sub-panel then later for different reasons I installed a wall mount Torus Power isolation transformer. This was an unintended triple redundancy. I do recommend one on your main home, especially living in the Midwest.
I would like to see this repeated. Maybe I will try it. I don't seem to have any speed issues. My system never drops out.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Holly crap. I have gigabyte internet service. I was getting 32 megabyte. As in .032 gigabyte. I tool out the Jensen and it jumped to 397 megabyte. That's a huge gain.

ketcham

Industry Expert
Feb 29, 2016
There may be a Jensen redesign or another manufacturer that does not have this bottleneck. I have not had time to look into this further.

We went through all sorts of tests and had a technician visit-- only to discover this as the culprit. I felt sheepish.

racerxnet

Apr 30, 2014
For all you tweakers out there, you might try a new firmware from DD-WRT. Not only does it improve the safety of traffic on the network, but can also over or under-clock the processor. You will be presented with a host of settings unavailable from the OEM. Gee wiz, a win win for all. Just look up your router model number and see if there is a firmware available. Best of all, it's FREE.

https://dd-wrt.com/

MAK

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I just ordered a gigafoil. It will also isolate from lightning. And it isolates ground loops. The only problem with the gigafoil is you then want a Farad PS, a better power cable and a high end ethernet cable. But even stock, I have not heard 1 person say the gigafoil does not improve the quality of their digital, even stock.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
For all you tweakers out there, you might try a new firmware from DD-WRT. Not only does it improve the safety of traffic on the network, but can also over or under-clock the processor. You will be presented with a host of settings unavailable from the OEM. Gee wiz, a win win for all. Just look up your router model number and see if there is a firmware available. Best of all, it's FREE.

https://dd-wrt.com/

MAK
How do you download to the router. I have an Asus. Have to look up my model. The firmware will end up on my computer, not the router. Where is the guide on performing the install. And if I choke, I assume my $500 router is dead?

racerxnet

Apr 30, 2014
Yes, you download the firmware to your computer and then flash the firmware to your router. Read the guide on the site. It has all the info you need to flash the firmware. If I were you, possibly buy a compatible router from the DD WRT list, and flash it to get a handle on the process if you think it may brick the 500.00 dollar unit. Heck, spend 50.00 for one, and compare with the 500.00 Asus. My hunch is there probably won't be any difference, but who knows. I am just tossing this out there after reading about the LPS, cables, chipsets, and other tweaks people make. The last thing they do is open the hood to see if the firmware may resolve some issues.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/index.php

Installation instructions: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation

MAK

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Yes, you download the firmware to your computer and then flash the firmware to your router. Read the guide on the site. It has all the info you need to flash the firmware. If I were you, possibly buy a compatible router from the DD WRT list, and flash it to get a handle on the process if you think it may brick the 500.00 dollar unit. Heck, spend 50.00 for one, and compare with the 500.00 Asus. My hunch is there probably won't be any difference, but who knows. I am just tossing this out there after reading about the LPS, cables, chipsets, and other tweaks people make. The last thing they do is open the hood to see if the firmware may resolve some issues.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/index.php

Installation instructions: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Installation

MAK
I don't have issues. My digital is very organic and natural. I have done a lot of work to get it this way. I do appreciate software. I have heard the impacts modifying software on my server through the years. It can be dramstic. As suck, I am open to tweaking my router to better the performance. I will look for.rhe guide.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing