darTZeel out of business?

Reactions: cazone and darTZeel
welcome Herve, to What's Best Forum.

we are having a party in your honor. :rolleyes:

best regards, Mike
Thank you, Mike. Hope the party will be joyful!
I am preparing a post.
The big difficulty will be keeping it short and clear.
darTZeel brand is alive, I am here, and all this buzz is much bigger than it deserves.
For sure I was personally harmed by Mr. Gregory assertions. He never contacted me to get any information, and he is the person having ignited this fire.
I am truly puzzled.
However, I will not go further in this topic in my coming post, which will be dedicated to audio community and to those for whom music care.

For sure I was personally harmed by Mr. Gregory assertions. He never contacted me to get any information, and he is the person having ignited this fire.
I am truly puzzled.
if this Gregory fella never reached out to the company and stated this from here say, well, that's just more proof that "journalism" is dead and extremely unprofessional on his part.

good look with your dartzeel venture and welcome to the forum

if this Gregory fella never reached out to the company and stated this from here say, well, that's just more proof that "journalism" is dead and extremely unprofessional on his part.

good look with your dartzeel venture and welcome to the forum
Thank you very much, Porsche!

Hope the party will be joyful!

As someone who purchased a set of new instruments back in October 2023 I welcome you to the forum. My instruments have given me joy in ownership and bulletproof reliability. Any inquiries to DarTZeel have been replied to promptly and directly by Herve’ himself. I look forward to the future with a new and revitalized DarTZeel.

welcome Herve, to What's Best Forum.

we are having a party in your honor. :rolleyes:

best regards, Mike

As someone who purchased a set of new instruments back in October 2023 I welcome you to the forum. My instruments have given me joy in ownership and bulletproof reliability. Any inquiries to DarTZeel have been replied to promptly and directly by Herve’ himself. I look forward to the future with a new and revitalized DarTZeel.
+1

Thank you very much, Porsche!
Thanks for clarifying. From my post #190 - I don't know if Roy reached out to Dartzeel for comment prior to his WBF post. Journalists often do so prior to publication which gives the company an opportunity to respond in a thoughtful way

I no longer own my Dart amp and preamp but still feel like I’m part of the family. Testament to Herve as well as JTinn, may he rest in peace.

Reactions: Audiohertz2
After 12 pages of discussion, there’s still no clear answer on whether darTZell is out of business or not. The only reasonable conclusion seems to be that darTZell is either on the brink of bankruptcy or has already gone under. If the company were doing fine, we’d have seen an immediate response from darTZell and its distributor, loudly denying the rumors. Instead, there’s silence and a long, vague statement full of nonsense. The bottom line is, any thriving company falsely accused of bankruptcy would be quick to shout, ‘That’s a lie!’

Anything coming from darTZell side other than ‘That’s a lie’ about this situation and rumors means rumor is true. If somebody is fabricating serious rumors about a company requires a clear statement. Sorry the rest is meaningless and BS.

P.S. I don’t say either part is right, I only say be straight with us.

Last edited:
I wonder how much DZ will sell for on the used market if they have gone under?

I have not seen a fire sale of DZ stuff on A'gon or eBay as of yet...

I hadn't seen the rules. They were 5 year loans with a 2 year extension in case of potential hardship. They would have been granted mid 2020 at the earliest. So repayment would not be due until say mid 2025 at the earliest and up to 2027. It now being 2024 and DartZeel apparently not in production for some months, any such loan does not seem to be the issue.

The loans were up to 10% of turnover. Say DZ had a net margin of 20%, say 18% after tax. 10% of turnover is 2% for 5 years. Such a loan therefore would not have been very large and inability to repay suggests a problem with profits or cash flow. More questions, no answers.

Can @RoyGregory explain?
Quality post!

After 12 pages of discussion, there’s still no clear answer on whether darTZell is out of business or not. The only reasonable conclusion seems to be that darTZell is either on the brink of bankruptcy or has already gone under. If the company were doing fine, we’d have seen an immediate response from darTZell and its distributor, loudly denying the rumors. Instead, there’s silence and a long, vague statement full of nonsense. The bottom line is, any thriving company falsely accused of bankruptcy would be quick to shout, ‘That’s a lie!’

Unfortunately, in today's age of interwebs and continually breaking 24/7 news, companies are no longer allowed the time to craft a thoughtful and informative reply. They are expected to reply in a quick knee jerk fashion which often leads to making statements which sometimes do not fully convey what they are trying to say.

This news broke on Tuesday. DarTZeel posted a reply shortly there after. I think they are entitled to a little time to further expound upon their statement and messaging.

Geez....it's only been 3 business days

Reactions: SCAudiophile
This news broke on Tuesday. DarTZeel posted a reply shortly there after. I think they are entitled to a little time to further expound upon their statement and messaging.

Alright, it’s been three business days—shouldn’t that be enough time for a company to clarify whether it’s still in business or not? You’re either continuing production or have shut the doors.

Reactions: Lagonda and Tbzc
Alright, it’s been three business days—shouldn’t that be enough time for a company to clarify whether it’s still in business or not?

Did you not read his initial statement?
Whether you choose to believe it or not is something else.
Do not accuse the man of not replying

Not only will the darTZeel brand continue to exist, but it will also change its paradigm by focusing on new concepts, which for now will remain undisclosed for obvious reasons.
What you need to know now are the following:
1. darTZeel is more alive than ever, and legendary customer service remains unchanged.
2. Current production of the NHB, CTH, and LHC series will now be made only on demand.
For existing customers: It is strongly advised not to sell off your darTZeel equipment on AudiogoN or elsewhere, because from now on, owning a darTZeel instrument is an investment.
3. A new line of instruments, aimed at a broader audience, is currently under study. Stay tuned!
darTZeel instruments are made in Geneva to last forever. Period.

Did you not read his initial statement?
Whether you choose to believe it or not is something else.
Do not accuse the man of not replying

Not only will the darTZeel brand continue to exist, but it will also change its paradigm by focusing on new concepts, which for now will remain undisclosed for obvious reasons.
What you need to know now are the following:
1. darTZeel is more alive than ever, and legendary customer service remains unchanged.
2. Current production of the NHB, CTH, and LHC series will now be made only on demand.
For existing customers: It is strongly advised not to sell off your darTZeel equipment on AudiogoN or elsewhere, because from now on, owning a darTZeel instrument is an investment.
3. A new line of instruments, aimed at a broader audience, is currently under study. Stay tuned!
darTZeel instruments are made in Geneva to last forever. Period.

Read that however what is stated on the website is

"I've chosen to venture into new territories in the audio field and dedicate time to shaping the future of High-End audio.

The fortunate owners of darTZeel instruments who wish to upgrade and maintain their listening systems will always be welcomed with the same passion and the same quality of service."

Aside from providing support for previous components it doesn't speak to the rest of the original statement. And, the first sentences of each statement taken at face value seem to contradict each other

"Not only will the darTZeel brand continue to exist, but it will also change its paradigm by focusing on new concepts, which for now will remain undisclosed for obvious reasons"
""I've chosen to venture into new territories in the audio field and dedicate time to shaping the future of High-End audio."

Reactions: mtemur
Unfortunately, in today's age of interwebs and continually breaking 24/7 news, companies are no longer allowed the time to craft a thoughtful and informative reply. They are expected to reply in a quick knee jerk fashion which often leads to making statements which sometimes do not fully convey what they are trying to say.

FTX was a multi-billion dollar company on a Saturday, by the following Thursday it had gone bust!

"Trust me I'm a journalist" has a bit of a hollow ring.

Irrespective of whether DZ is in trouble or not, I had another look at what Herve D said, and he's got a good point.

But above all, the race to offer the most expensive product, claiming it’s better, while giving ever larger discounts to end users. This extreme High-End market, whose noble and honorable purpose at its beginnings was to offer music lovers the best possible reproduction quality, has turned into a mass market, comparable to the souks of Marrakech – which I personally love, but for a different purpose – where the highest discount has become the main focus. This trend, though not new, is now rotting the extreme High-End market and is destroying the industry. I, Hervé Delétraz, founder and creator of the darTZeel brand, have decided that this business model no longer aligns with my vision of Extreme High End.

If it is the case that the extreme high-end market operates with stratospheric ticket prices that don't represent any kind of value and every other sale ends up in some massive haggle, then I can understand him being fed up and wanting out. Of course it is a little rich given he's part of the problem.

The real highlights of Marrakech are the Jardins Majorelle and the Musee Yves Saint Laurent. Each on their own justify the trip. Maybe brands like YSL offer a clue, in that they don't make any money on couture clothing, but have about a 95% profit margin on fragrances. In the audio industry fragrances are called cables.

So he's basically saying he's going from off-the-peg to couture. The problem is that couture generates brand value, but it doesn't often generate profit.

The bit that intrigued me was "venture into new territories in the audio field and dedicate time to shaping the future of High-End audio". This might include a direct distribution model. The problem is that in the EU and UK you just can't just dump your distributors and dealers like you can in the USA because they are protected by Commercial Agency Regulations.

So if he thinks the future of high-end is extreme performance at more affordable prices, that's probably a worthy discussion.

Reactions: wil
Alright, it’s been three business days—shouldn’t that be enough time for a company to clarify whether it’s still in business or not? You’re either continuing production or have shut the doors.
Mostly in restructuring. I would not even pay 10% if it is not in stock. Don’t think he is in any capacity to produce new equipment.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu