darTZeel out of business?

• Haha
Reactions: Bruce B and Lagonda
Ahhhh , I told yah Mike L would settle this...
What’s settled? Mike L’s answer / non-answer settled nothing.

Are they out of business? “They have a heartbeat.”

Are they going out of business? TBD

In the end, I don’t care if they are or they aren’t. Let’s hear some facts that show they are or that they are not.

Until then, buyer beware.

Hm, Mike had you heard anything that may have given you pause for concern re: Dartzeel before listing your amps? I can't recall why you were selling/switching to. If I had bought those amps, holy sht I'd be sweating now.

I just sent an e-mail to John Stone of Dartzeel America to inquire.

Reactions: Lee
Its not funny, but I keep thinking Spectral is getting to the end of their road soon. I hope Herve and Dartzeel live on.

I just sent an e-mail to John Stone of Dartzeel America to inquire.
I asked for evidence, you posted a big ollll image of Whatsbestforum as proof. Why go to John then.:D:eek:.
Going to the US distributor, Mr Stone is exactly what I was asking if anyone had done. Mike may have called Herve. That is another good option.
I hope they are still solvent. It is a good product. I liked my 108 quite a bit. For 17 years old, it was still very solid. Herve did some minor work like resoldering some joints and other minor stuff. About $700. It should last another 20 years.

If someone bought Mikes amps and other Dartzeel components, they would be very happy. They are built to last 40 years. They would be getting very good equipment at a good price that will outlast most owners. Mikes Dartzeel has a good 30 years in them. If the average audiophile buying them is 50. They would be 80 and maybe not with us anymore when the Darts gave out.

Having said that, I would rather have equipment from a current company. Or at least something that anyone can repair. My Blade amps and my First Sound preamp are pretty simple point to point wiring. If something failed, a decent tech could sus it out and replace the parts. My digital equipment is not so expensive I could toss it in the trash and not be financially damaged. Honestly, I worry more about my digital equipment. Most digital equipment seems a bit temperamental. And computer boards and chips are not know for long life.

• Haha
Reactions: adyc
What’s settled? Mike L’s answer / non-answer settled nothing.

Are they out of business? “They have a heartbeat.”

Are they going out of business? TBD

In the end, I don’t care if they are or they aren’t. Let’s hear some facts that show they are or that they are not.

Until then, buyer beware.
all fair things to ponder.
Hm, Mike had you heard anything that may have given you pause for concern re: Dartzeel before listing your amps? I can't recall why you were selling/switching to. If I had bought those amps, holy sht I'd be sweating now.
nothing changed from when i listed my pre/amps until i removed the ads. and my limited insight now is the same i've had for months. all i will say for now as it's not my place and i don't know that much. i'm just a customer. who is not worried about it but respect how stuff goes.

Reactions: dan31
They are built to last 40 years. They would be getting very good equipment at a good price that will outlast most owners. Mikes Dartzeel has a good 30 years in them. If the average audiophile buying them is 50. They would be 80 and maybe not with us anymore when the Darts gave out.

Any component -- especially of the very limited production variety as are so many of the components in this industry -- can fail, no matter how expensive it is and no matter how well it is built and no matter who makes it. Honda Civics are reliable and inexpensive because Honda makes 300,000 of them each year.

I would be very uncomfortable to own a very expensive component from a company which is no longer providing service.

I would be uncomfortable even if it were a tube component, but at least a point-to-point wired tube component can probably be repaired by a competent technician. I would be even more concerned about a solid-state component.

I hope Herve and darTZeel are very well, and that the rumor is unfounded.

Last edited:
Reactions: adyc
all fair things to ponder.

nothing changed from when i listed my pre/amps until i removed the ads. and my limited insight now is the same i've had for months. all i will say for now as it's not my place and i don't know that much. i'm just a customer. who is not worried about it but respect how stuff goes.
Appreciate the response Mike. The "I don't know that much" is quite funny, c'mon man. Obviously there is a reason you obviously decided to sell. Had to be reason when you announced where you were heading/selling. You are their unabashed brand ambassador on this forum for years.u chalking this up to coincidence??

That said, as someone that has coveted Dartzeel amps, the lack of response from the company or a credible source (which in my opinion should have been immediate) is an absolute red flag to not buy Dartzeel. I would not touch Dartzeel with a 80 foot pole at this odd misinformation and rumor mill. And the lack of disclosure and that hard earned cash could be going toward product with potentially no future tech support? And we are supposed to trust a 'heartbeat'?

Last edited:
Reactions: adyc and George K
Be VERY careful of those darTZeel nhb 108's listed on ebay. They are Chinese knock-offs and easily found on Ali-Express

If you want a genuine darTZeel, look for the serial number and the country of origin. The ebay ad that is referred to states cleary : Brand= unbranded and Country of manufacture "does not apply".

For. goodness sake, if you have $600 to throw away, I'd be happy to sell you the Brooklyn Bridge!

Reactions: Down Under
Be VERY careful of those darTZeel nhb 108's listed on ebay. They are Chinese knock-offs and easily found on Ali-Express

If you want a genuine darTZeel, look for the serial number and the country of origin. The ebay ad that is referred to states cleary : Brand= unbranded and Country of manufacture "does not apply".

For. goodness sake, if you have $600 to throw away, I'd be happy to sell you the Brooklyn Bridge!
If you do a deep dive on the Fakes, there is a large spread in quality. Some of the sellers will spec the parts you want in it. Your basically buying a custom SS amp that has somewhat the same circuit design as a Dartzeel 108. OF course the parts are not the same. But you can spend up to $5000 on a Fake and I have heard they sound very good.

Reactions: Campo007
Any component -- especially of the very limited production variety as are so many of the components in this industry -- can fail, no matter how expensive it is and no matter how well it is built and no matter who makes it. Honda Civics are reliable and inexpensive because Honda makes 300,000 of them each year.

I would be very uncomfortable to own a very expensive component from a company which is no longer providing service.

I would be uncomfortable even if it were a tube component, but at least a point-to-point wired tube component can probably be repaired by a competent technician. I would be even more concerned about a solid-state component.

I hope Herve and darTZeel are very well, and that the rumor is unfounded.
I'm not arguing the point about audio components from companies that are out of business. Look at Krell. If Dartzeel does throw in the towel, what will happen is some people are going to end up with really nice gear for a very discounted price.

I was laughing how you posted such a bold type font, seeming to say Whatsbestforum was the source of sound and reliable information. At this point nothing seems settled. No one really knows. Whatsbestforum is a much a part of the rumor mill as Audiogon forum to date.

Appreciate the response Mike. The "I don't know that much" is quite funny, c'mon man. Obviously there is a reason you obviously decided to sell. Had to be reason when you announced where you were heading/selling. You are their unabashed brand ambassador on this forum for years.u chalking this up to coincidence??
i expect zero benefit of the doubt when the mob mentality gets going. people will let'r rip. such is life.

in the case of my listing of my dart gear, i had two low offers that were still substantial but turned them down. my reasons for selling were not anti-darTZeel, but just something had caught my eye. and i had had darTZeel for 20 years. a change sounded interesting. then i got over it. last week i changed my mind, deleted my ads, and posted this.

spin it as you will.
That said, as someone that has coveted Dartzeel amps, the lack of response from the company or a credible source (which in my opinion should have been immediate) is an absolute red flag to not buy Dartzeel. I would not touch Dartzeel with a 80 foot pole at this odd misinformation and rumor mill. And the lack of disclosure and that hard earned cash could be going toward product with potentially no future tech support? And we are supposed to trust a 'heartbeat'?
normal comments at this juncture.

I was laughing how you posted such a bold type font, seeming to say Whatsbestforum was the source of sound and reliable information.
I don't know what you're talking about.

May they all go broke, maybe ridiculous audio pricing will disappear !:rolleyes:

x 1000!!! stupid as fuucck pricing creates an ever decreasing circle of sales until there is none.

Dartzeel are hardly unique with this business model.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu