DCS threatening Goldensound..What an industry this is

Nothing from dCS has ever sounded right to me. That goes for Nagra,(except their tape decks), Esoteric, AR, Boulder, & Ayre.
I'm all about the sound, not price points, tech specs, or glossy mag reviews.

Again, interesting as I agree on Boulder and Ayre source components (specifically their phono stage and QX-5 Twenty DAC), but the Ayre KX-R Twenty preamp and MX-R Twenty amps are the most musical I've heard and are what I use, and I have been impressed by most Nagra demos I've heard. The KX-R preamp was the first time I ever heard a source component sound better for having gone through a pre rather than being wired directly to an amp.

(Actually, I haven't heard any DAC using the ES9038 PRO sound good, though the Oppo UHD-205 does well with movie soundtracks.)

Just goes to show there is a substantial amount of personal preference as to what sounds real to each of us. (What's ironic is I find the Ayre and Boulder sounds to be incredibly different in character, the former being very musical and the latter the definition of clinical solid-state sound.)

I too take your opinion on gear; I spend the absolute minimum I have to to get the sound I seek, and magazine reviews do nothing but help me narrow down which components I should audition in my own home. I've also laughed at the opinion of magazine reviewers and other audiophiles who disagreed as I know what I hear.

I'm even one of those weirdos who have bought gear based on what I heard at shows (gasp!) as most of my equipment did not have a local dealer when I chose to buy it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hydrology

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing