DOES ANYONE REGRET BUYING A TAIKO EXTREME SERVER? ANYTHING BETTER?

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I ordered the Nagra HD DAC X. Was ready to spring for a Select II. Two people who heard Dac X vs Select II in all Nagra Systems with good Wilson Speakers leaned gently towards the DAC X.

Have you heard the Nagra Tube DAC? Curious how it compares to the HD DAC X? The (old) HD DAC was significantly(?) improved and the result is the Tube DAC. I may be in a position to acquire the HD DAC X, and wondering if it’s worth it vs the Tube DAC.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
And also ordered the Taiko Extreme.
Blinkin' heck!

And here's me. My digital source is an Amazon Fire stick HD playing Amazon Music.

It does sound good, though. Really. Better than my nVidia Shield.

LOL.

DoctorWhy

Dec 5, 2020
Have you heard the Nagra Tube DAC? Curious how it compares to the HD DAC X? The (old) HD DAC was significantly(?) improved and the result is the Tube DAC. I may be in a position to acquire the HD DAC X, and wondering if it’s worth it vs the Tube DAC.
I have not heard the Tube DAC, but have heard good things about it. I would call around to Nagra dealers and see if they have compared the DACs. BTW, the Taiko extreme was an obvious upgrade over my Sonore Optical Reference SE.

Reactions: Zeotrope

DoctorWhy

Dec 5, 2020
It has both optical and copper internet ports on the back. Did you mean wifi? In which case I would definitely think that a hard wired ethernet would sound better than WiFi.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
It’s too bad the Taiko does not have Ethernet as my Dac sounds best with Ethernet.

the Extreme works very well with Ethernet. but it has really worked hard to optimize USB as that seems to yield the best results with most dacs at this point.

how do you know that your dac sounds best with Ethernet? logically it would seem that judging an interface is a two sided question. you would need to test your dac with multiple servers with multiple interfaces to answer that question. the more the better. even different cables and Ethernet routers and such might change the result.

in the case of the Extreme server and my MSB Select II dac; to begin with Ethernet with the MSB Renderer v2 sounded better than USB. then came the MSB Pro USB interface and that sounded better than the Ethernet. finally Taiko developed an improved USB card and the USB interface got even better.

in any case the Extreme server can be used with any interface. it's very flexible and designed to adapt to different dacs and changing interfaces. and if, in fact, your dac is optimized for Ethernet the Extreme can work that way effectively.

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
the Extreme works very well with Ethernet. but it has really worked hard to optimize USB as that seems to yield the best results with most dacs at this point.

how do you know that your dac sounds best with Ethernet? logically it would seem that judging an interface is a two sided question. you would need to test your dac with multiple servers with multiple interfaces to answer that question. the more the better. even different cables and Ethernet routers and such might change the result.

in the case of the Extreme server and my MSB Select II dac; to begin with Ethernet with the MSB Renderer v2 sounded better than USB. then came the MSB Pro USB interface and that sounded better than the Ethernet. finally Taiko developed an improved USB card and the USB interface got even better.

in any case the Extreme server can be used with any interface. it's very flexible and designed to adapt to different dacs and changing interfaces. and if, in fact, your dac is optimized for Ethernet the Extreme can work that way effectively.
How, I don’t see the Ethernet connection on the back of the unit.

Steve Vu

Oct 26, 2020
How, I don’t see the Ethernet connection on the back of the unit.
If your dac has the input ethernet port, it is music streamer + dac. So you don't need a music server. You can plug a ethernet cable directly from a router or a switch to your dac and use an app as Mconnect to listen.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
If your dac has the input ethernet port, it is music streamer + dac. So you don't need a music server. You can plug a ethernet cable directly from a router or a switch to your dac and use an app as Mconnect to listen.

That would depend on the software running on the ethernet module. If it's a Roon endpoint, you will need Roon to control it. If it runs UPNP you can control it with Mconnect. If it runs Ravenna you can use any ASIO capable playback software on a remote Windows computer, like Roon, HQPlayer, Foobar, Jriver, Audirvana or TAS (Taiko Audio Server). We currently only support Roon, HQPlayer and TAS.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I have a Bricasti M21 Dac and I'm strictly using stored music files, not interested in streaming. I use a pc with a Jcat Net Card Xe with a separate power supply. I was thinking this server may give me better sound than my PC.

The Bricasti M21 should perform much better over USB, do you also have the Jcat USB XE card? Maybe @tsaett is willing to chime in as he owns both an Extreme and the Bricasti M21.

tsaett

May 20, 2014
Cologne
I have a Bricasti M21 Dac and I'm strictly using stored music files, not interested in streaming. I use a pc with a Jcat Net Card Xe with a separate power supply. I was thinking this server may give me better sound than my PC.
Hi Jeffy,

I am also running the M21 in my system, it is a great DAC!
When I got mine end of last year, I compared the onboard streamer to the USB connection. The comparison took all of 5 minutes, it was no contest at all. USB from the Extreme (with Sablon 2020 USB cable) won hands down, music had more flow, drive, density and sheer expression.
That comparison was done without the new USB card + Taiko usb driver which I now have. Suffice to say that the current delta would be even greater. On top you can use TAS (Taiko Audio Server) that way which brings USB up another notch.
I even went to the length to internally unplug the streamer board inside the Bricasti unit, I feel this gives me even more clarity and calmness.

BTW, i went from regular desktop pc to CAPS Pipeline v4 to SGM2015 to Extreme. I would go so far as to say the step from the mighty 2015 to the Extreme was the biggest upgrade in SQ I have experienced.

Chris

DoctorWhy

Dec 5, 2020
I think almost any server will be a LARGE improvement. When I went from an apple MacBook pro to the Sonore Optical Reference Se the difference was huge. The improvement from Sonore to Taiko was large. improvements were in imaging, sound stage, bass and micro dynamics.
I have a Bricasti M21 Dac and I'm strictly using stored music files, not interested in streaming. I use a pc with a Jcat Net Card Xe with a separate power supply. I was thinking this server may give me better sound than my PC

Reactions: Taiko Audio

Music2move

Nov 20, 2015
I think almost any server will be a LARGE improvement. When I went from an apple MacBook pro to the Sonore Optical Reference Se the difference was huge. The improvement from Sonore to Taiko was large. improvements were in imaging, sound stage, bass and micro dynamics.
Hi DoctorWhy,

Wondering if you heard Nagra Tube DAC vs your HD DAC X, fed from Taiko Extreme: I am greatly enjoying Nagra Tube DAC accepting USB via new USB card interface through Nordost valhalla 2 USB, so wondering where HD DAC X improves on the Tube DAC...? Thx

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Hi DoctorWhy,

Wondering if you heard Nagra Tube DAC vs your HD DAC X, fed from Taiko Extreme: I am greatly enjoying Nagra Tube DAC accepting USB via new USB card interface through Nordost valhalla 2 USB, so wondering where HD DAC X improves on the Tube DAC...? Thx

I have heard the difference between the Tube DAC and HD DAC X is significant (someone on this forum heard it when he went to audition the new Nagra Turntable). I plan to acquire one later this year and will report.
It makes sense that the HD DAC X will sound better than the Tube DAC: dual mono, lower noise, higher S/N.
And the Tube DAC is the only DAC I’ve heard that makes me want to listen to digital.

Reactions: CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I have heard the difference between the Tube DAC and HD DAC X is significant (someone on this forum heard it when he went to audition the new Nagra Turntable). I plan to acquire one later this year and will report.
Hi Surge1,
Congrats!

DoctorWhy

Dec 5, 2020

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing