Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
I don't have permission to do that. If I open it, I buy it.

More like if you buy it, you can feel free to open it.

Sounds fair to me.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
If someone has suggestions on how they think I should hook this up, I am all ears :)

Just connect it as the manufacturer says to do in your system and listen. Apparently it takes time to manifest.

Listen for a while, and then remove it, listen again, try the whole thing again.

Then you can start doing measurements with tools.

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Yea, it would be refreshing to see a genuine attempt at evaluating a device & using it according to how the manufacturer states it should be used & not an attitude "I'm going to do it this way & it will either work or not work, that's it"

A similar open-minded approach to measurements would be refreshing, too!

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Just connect it as the manufacturer says to do in your system and listen. Apparently it takes time to manifest.

Listen for a while, and then remove it, listen again, try the whole thing again.

Then you can start doing measurements with tools.

DON'T listen to it while it supposedly "breaks in." You will only get used to it in various stages of its "break-in" and then will not be able to give a good evaluation of it. Let it "break in" (hahaha) and then test it.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Yea, it would be refreshing to see a genuine attempt at evaluating a device & using it according to how the manufacturer states it should be used & not an attitude "I'm going to do it this way & it will either work or not work, that's it"
A similar open-minded approach to measurements would be refreshing, too!
I am sorry but this whole open minded thing is overrated. What you will ask next? And MRI to see how the neurons are or are not firing in my brain? I didn't think so.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
DON'T listen to it while it supposedly "breaks in." You will only get used to it in various stages of its "break-in" and then will not be able to give a good evaluation of it. Let it "break in" (hahaha) and then test it.
No worries. This is my plan for breaking it....

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Lol

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

A left field question and one I feel too lazy to google: How much is that box?

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Amir, you're having far too much fun at Axpona :D

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
The Poseidon ground box which is effectively three Olympus Minis in one box is a much better buy - around 3 for the price of two

yes; I own the Poseidon and use it to ground the negative terminals on my mono block amplifier outputs. the third middle box I use for grounding my bass tower amplifiers.

one reason to buy 2 (or 3) Olympus Minimus's instead of the Poseidon would be for length of grounding cables. in my case my grounding cables for the bass tower amps are 4 meters each.

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
The Poseidon ground box which is effectively three Olympus Minis in one box is a much better buy - around 3 for the price of two

Yes, the three-in-one boxes are always going to be better, especially after your reported experience with the Athena rack which is going to take up another terminal on a box. In my case, for example, in hindsight I should have forked out for the Tellus, even though my actual audio components just need two terminals. But a two-shelf Athena isn't beyond my longer term means, so a three-terminal box would have been a more practical choice.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
What you will ask next? And MRI to see how the neurons are or are not firing in my brain? I didn't think so.

Ask Caelin Gabriel.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
yes; I own the Poseidon and use it to ground the negative terminals on my mono block amplifier outputs. the third middle box I use for grounding my bass tower amplifiers.

one reason to buy 2 (or 3) Olympus Minimus's instead of the Poseidon would be for length of grounding cables. in my case my grounding cables for the bass tower amps are 4 meters each.

I also use the Poseidon for negative speaker terminal grounding plus the amp itself Mike and it has been one of the best Entreq performers in my system.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Yes, the three-in-one boxes are always going to be better, especially after your reported experience with the Athena rack which is going to take up another terminal on a box. In my case, for example, in hindsight I should have forked out for the Tellus, even though my actual audio components just need two terminals. But a two-shelf Athena isn't beyond my longer term means, so a three-terminal box would have been a more practical choice.

Just to update you. The 3 shelf Athena rack is staying and should get a traded in Silver Tellus plus ground cables for all the shelves in about 10 days time

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I also use the Poseidon for negative speaker terminal grounding plus the amp itself Mike and it has been one of the best Entreq performers in my system.

I'm saving grounding of my mono blocks for a second Tripoint Troy Signature with a pair of Thor SE Master Reference ground cables.....but so far have not pulled the trigger. $$$$$$$$$:eek:

if I end not going that way i'll likely re-task the middle box from the subwoofer amps to the mono blocks.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I'm saving grounding of my mono blocks for a second Tripoint Troy Signature with a pair of Thor SE Master Reference ground cables.....but so far have not pulled the trigger. $$$$$$$$$:eek:

if I end not going that way i'll likely re-task the middle box from the subwoofer amps to the mono blocks.

I wonder how an Olympus Tellus with the Thor SE Master Reference ground cables would compare with the Troy?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I wonder how an Olympus Tellus with the Thor SE Master Reference ground cables would compare with the Troy?

I've not tried the Thor SE Master Reference ground cable on the Silver Tellus.....or mixed any of the other Tripoint and Entreq cables.

I know what happened when I installed my Tripoint Troy with the Thor SE Master Reference connected to my dart preamp. I already had a Silver Tellus connected to that preamp with a pair of Eartha Atlantis RCA's.

i'd say that the degree of improvement compared to what the Silver Tellus-Eartha Atlantis had brought by itself was at least as much as the 5 to 1 cost ratio. quite amazing. and that was right out of the box stone cold. about 10 days later it took another step up about 2/3rds of the original jump.

both products work.....and are performance boosters.

i'd also point out that these type products are quite context dependent. whether other systems would have the same reaction as mine to either product is a question. my system is about as tweaked as can be, and it's noise floor is very low as well as the top level darTZeel electronics are very very quiet. so everything these products can do is easily heard. when I describe degrees of perceived performance change it's only my own views in my own system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing