Etsuro Gold MC Cartridge in house

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Ok, finally I can share... around the first of July I finally, after almost daily sleuthing for almost 6 months, I was able to find and buy a used Etsuro Gold. I won’t get into all the murky details but there was a bit of an issue that came up and just finally got resolved. Just as that little saga was coming to a close, my preamp popped a small cap in the power supply. Preamp fixed, Etsuro Gold mounted up and painfully tweaked with Adjust+.

My AMG 12JT “turbo” tonearm has a design flaw (IMHO) in that to adjust VTA you have to loosen a thumbscrew then retighten when you’ve reached your preferred height. But, tightening the screw ever-so-slightly changes the angle of the tower so to get good readings one has to loosen, adjust, tighten, measure. How much you torque the screw effects the result.

I’m a bit anal about such things, and being pretty much a rookie at cartridge setup, I took my time. I got azimuth spot-on then adjusted for VTA which improved crosstalk buy almost 2 db. Then I re-tweaked azimuth.

Did I mention that after visiting Mike’s place a couple times to hear his Gold stash, I chose to replace my Einstein phono stage with CSPort phono?

Long buildup, I know... but holy shit! Brand new phono stage (battery not even fully charged), new tubes in the preamp, and an Etsuro Gold with fewer hours on it than broken in. To give you an idea, its well past 2am (I’m too old for this kind of late night tom-foolery) and I had to shut things down. Not because I want to. There is just sooooo much more information, nuance, subtlety i am hearing compared to the Benz LPS that has been in my system for half-dozen years.

I’ll just say with the shit-storm that has been 2020, it is really great to have a positive development. Hats off to the gentlemen-san @ Etsuro.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Ok, finally I can share... around the first of July I finally, after almost daily sleuthing for almost 6 months, I was able to find and buy a used Etsuro Gold. I won’t get into all the murky details but there was a bit of an issue that came up and just finally got resolved. Just as that little saga was coming to a close, my preamp popped a small cap in the power supply. Preamp fixed, Etsuro Gold mounted up and painfully tweaked with Adjust+.

My AMG 12JT “turbo” tonearm has a design flaw (IMHO) in that to adjust VTA you have to loosen a thumbscrew then retighten when you’ve reached your preferred height. But, tightening the screw ever-so-slightly changes the angle of the tower so to get good readings one has to loosen, adjust, tighten, measure. How much you torque the screw effects the result.

I’m a bit anal about such things, and being pretty much a rookie at cartridge setup, I took my time. I got azimuth spot-on then adjusted for VTA which improved crosstalk buy almost 2 db. Then I re-tweaked azimuth.

Did I mention that after visiting Mike’s place a couple times to hear his Gold stash, I chose to replace my Einstein phono stage with CSPort phono?

Long buildup, I know... but holy shit! Brand new phono stage (battery not even fully charged), new tubes in the preamp, and an Etsuro Gold with fewer hours on it than broken in. To give you an idea, its well past 2am (I’m too old for this kind of late night tom-foolery) and I had to shut things down. Not because I want to. There is just sooooo much more information, nuance, subtlety i am hearing compared to the Benz LPS that has been in my system for half-dozen years.

I’ll just say with the shit-storm that has been 2020, it is really great to have a positive development. Hats off to the gentlemen-san @ Etsuro.
Great story and glad to hear it came good! Congrats. I think I need to go listen to an Etsuro Gold!

Reactions: Bobvin and 108CY

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Great story and glad to hear it came good! Congrats. I think I need to go listen to an Etsuro Gold!
Hallelujah!!!

Bob, i am so happy for you. Congrats! i know how long a journey this was. sounds like the Etsuro Gold is delivering the performance you were expecting. it is a great cartridge, easily my favorite.

How do you like the CS Port phono? i love the 2am part :cool: .......it's the right thing to have done. can't wait to read more about your listening.

Reactions: Bobvin

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Don’t underestimate that CS port phonostage. My limited experience is that a change at the phono stage can bring surprising changes to playback. Happy to hear of the updates. No place to go on carts and phono stages. Just enjoy!

Reactions: Bobvin

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Reminded me that hearing the CS port ( and etsuro gold ) is mission critical :)

Writing post at 230am = awesome.

Reactions: jazdoc and Bobvin

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Hallelujah!!!

Bob, i am so happy for you. Congrats! i know how long a journey this was. sounds like the Etsuro Gold is delivering the performance you were expecting. it is a great cartridge, easily my favorite.

How do you like the CS Port phono? i love the 2am part :cool: .......it's the right thing to have done. can't wait to read more about your listening.
Thanks Mike :)

As others have mentioned, and to be expected, I anticipate the Gold has more mid-bass and body to bloom out before this cart hits full stride, but the speed and definition is all there -- perhaps at this stage a bit like a teenager whose voice is lacking only what more maturity and hormones can provide, body and soulfulness. Having heard yours I know it is lurking behind a couple gajillion vibrations as the black vinyl slips beneath.

WRT the CSPort... the great thing about this phono stage is I am giving up nothing in speed to the solid-state Einstein, and it is dead silent. The Einstein‘s ever-so-slight emphasis on leading edge of transients is not missed, and only in comparison to the best phono stages is it apparent. Even with the Gold not quite full stride, the musicality of the CSPort is apparent. The CSPort is the real-deal, and I will give some thought to the pre-amp should I decide its time to part with my beloved ARC REF10.

No disrespect at all to the Benz LPS / Einstein German sound, but I think I am going to be loving the trip to the other hemisphere that is the new Japanese sound in my listening room. So wonderful this hobby provides opportunity for audio geeks round the world to manifest their skills and passion for the enjoyment of us all.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Thanks Mike :)

As others have mentioned, and to be expected, I anticipate the Gold has more mid-bass and body to bloom out before this cart hits full stride, but the speed and definition is all there -- perhaps at this stage a bit like a teenager whose voice is lacking only what more maturity and hormones can provide, body and soulfulness. Having heard yours I know it is lurking behind a couple gajillion vibrations as the black vinyl slips beneath.

WRT the CSPort... the great thing about this phono stage is I am giving up nothing in speed to the solid-state Einstein, and it is dead silent. The Einstein‘s ever-so-slight emphasis on leading edge of transients is not missed, and only in comparison to the best phono stages is it apparent. Even with the Gold not quite full stride, the musicality of the CSPort is apparent. The CSPort is the real-deal, and I will give some thought to the pre-amp should I decide its time to part with my beloved ARC REF10.

No disrespect at all to the Benz LPS / Einstein German sound, but I think I am going to be loving the trip to the other hemisphere that is the new Japanese sound in my listening room. So wonderful this hobby provides opportunity for audio geeks round the world to manifest their skills and passion for the enjoyment of us all.
Congratulations, Bob. Lovely gear. Enjoy.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

What made you choose the Etsuro over the Van den Hul Grand Crue ? A choice i will be forced to make next year too. :rolleyes:

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
What made you choose the Etsuro over the Van den Hul Grand Crue ? A choice i will be forced to make next year too. :rolleyes:
Choice was very simple—I read that initial review of the Gold in Positive Feedback (https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/etsuro-gold-moving-coil-cartridge/) and became very curious. Then I had the good fortune of hearing one @ MikeL’s place early last winter before the Wuhan-flu put the country into a panic attack. It was not easy to sort the cartridge from the phono stage from the rest of Mike’s mind-boggling system, but for sure if the info isn’t coming out of the grooves it won’t be coming from the speakers, and as I’ve said I heard texture, nuance, subtlety and details with body and soul unlike anything I’d heard before. I also trusted Mike when he said he thought it bettered the Anna Diamond and Goldfinger.

I have never heard the VdH cartridge, but it was on my list of possibilities. My only concern was I had read there can be some variability in those carts as each is hand made, but support seems to be first rate, and retipping a modest cost. As other cartridges are beginning to use diamond cantilevers and this seems to be a “next level” evolution, it made the gold an appealing choice.

(Of course, there was the not trivial cost of the Etsuro as a roadblock. The Minister of Finance took a dim view of my proposed upgrade, and said “maybe, and only maybe, if you can find a used one“ which was a challenge I accepted.) ;)

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Congrats, Bob. There's no substitute for hearing this stuff prior to jumping in. And it's awesome to have those wow moments followed by rediscovery of one's record collection and unlocking new secrets buried deep within the grooves.

@Lagonda - suggestion - put Opus 1 on your shortlist as well. You can thank me later although it'll make the final decision more difficult. At this level, I think there may be no "better", just better matches for one's particular system and "different" to suit one's particular taste in whiskey.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda and Solypsa

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Congratulations, Bob. Lovely gear. Enjoy.
Audiophile Bill... your gear list is pretty amazing as well. much more exotic than my own—I’m just beginning my break from the “typical” names. I have only just learned of Thomas Mayer (from who else but Mik) and the gear is super sexy to look at and if Mik is fond of it no doubt equally sexy to hear.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Choice was very simple—I read that initial review of the Gold in Positive Feedback (https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/etsuro-gold-moving-coil-cartridge/) and became very curious. Then I had the good fortune of hearing one @ MikeL’s place early last winter before the Wuhan-flu put the country into a panic attack. It was not easy to sort the cartridge from the phono stage from the rest of Mike’s mind-boggling system, but for sure if the info isn’t coming out of the grooves it won’t be coming from the speakers, and as I’ve said I heard texture, nuance, subtlety and details with body and soul unlike anything I’d heard before. I also trusted Mike when he said he thought it bettered the Anna Diamond and Goldfinger.

I have never heard the VdH cartridge, but it was on my list of possibilities. My only concern was I had read there can be some variability in those carts as each is hand made, but support seems to be first rate, and retipping a modest cost. As other cartridges are beginning to use diamond cantilevers and this seems to be a “next level” evolution, it made the gold an appealing choice.

(Of course, there was the not trivial cost of the Etsuro as a roadblock. The Minister of Finance took a dim view of my proposed upgrade, and said “maybe, and only maybe, if you can find a used one“ which was a challenge I accepted.) ;)
You should just have said you where buying diamonds ! ;)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Works for you, Milan?
I would love for some rich audiophile to say he was buying diamonds, load up on an Etsuro Gold, Red Sparrow and Clearaudio Goldfinger...and when he takes his wife out for an expensive meal, finds that she's wearing them around her neck!

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Works for you, Milan?
I would love for some rich audiophile to say he was buying diamonds, load up on an Etsuro Gold, Red Sparrow and Clearaudio Goldfinger...and when he takes his wife out for an expensive meal, finds that she's wearing them around her neck!
Maybe a well shaped dual purpose model from Ortofon with diamond cantilever and a couple of well placed ornamental bling stones. They could call it “Marilyn Monroe“, and hire Madonna for the promotional video, but i would recommend a secure stylus guard ! ;)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Either that, or go out with a Class D loving gal, down to Mackie D's.

Reactions: Lagonda

dwhistance

Feb 15, 2019
Audiophile Bill... your gear list is pretty amazing as well. much more exotic than my own—I’m just beginning my break from the “typical” names. I have only just learned of Thomas Mayer (from who else but Mik) and the gear is super sexy to look at and if Mik is fond of it no doubt equally sexy to hear.
I was lucky enough to visit Thomas Mayer at his workshop on a trip to France and Germany in October last year. Unfortunately I arrived rather early for my "demo" so rather than starting with his "low end" phono stage, preamp and power amps my first exposure to his amplifiers was the fully differential, silver front end with silver push pull 46 drives 46 power amps, probably €180,000 worth, he was listening to while he prepared for my visit. They were simply stunning albeit somewhat out of my price range nowadays! We then went down his amplifier range in stages and it was easy to hear what the extra cash brought at each level which was very instructive. Having heard them all I must say I could easily live long term with any of them and, if 2020 had turned out different one of his more modest phono/pre/power amp pairings would have been here by now. I would definitely recommend a visit to Thomas's workshop for anyone thinking of a buying a high end SET amp willing to travel to the Geman/Swiss border.

David Whistance

Sorry to be off topic

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Oh, it's Milan who wears the diamond-encrusted collar, walked around by his exes.

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Oh, it's Milan who wears the diamond-encrusted collar, walked around by his exes.
I told you that in confidence Marc, to make you feel OK about your own peculiarities !;)

Reactions: bonzo75

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I can never feel ok...I'm an audiophile.

Reactions: Lagonda and bonzo75

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I'm feeling like the winner here... where Mike has the good fortune of lots of turntables and a small "Gold" stash, he's also enjoyed several of the very top cartridges so moving up to Etsuro, while a significant step, is much more an incremental gain vs. the joy I am having breaking in the Gold & CSPort in my system. For me, having lived with my much loved BENZ LPS for half-dozen years, the move up to Etsuro Gold is a giant leap; in every cut I am hearing so much "more". Bass is crisper, tighter, more harmonically rich and tuneful, mid-bass still needs some fleshing out, midrange--OMG the vocals male and female just keep startling me with so much additional nuance and texture. And the top end... well I tinkered a little with VTA this evening and a couple LPs were a wee bit harsh, but the tinkling of small bells or triangle has this delicate shimmer and decay. Again and again I notice small inflections, shifts in tone as a note decays previously unheard.

This is fun!

(To he honest, I shouldn't assume Mike's joy is any less than mine :) ).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing