Etsuro Gold MC Cartridge in house

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
once i get the Etsuro Gold mounted on the NVS i will try my best to do just that. my hunch is that on those two things that the CS Port phono and dart phono are similar based on living with them. one has to consider that the NVS sits on an active Taiko Tana shelf, which absolutely translates into some advantages for both bass definition and micro-dynamics. and then there is the CS Port phono on it's own, and CS Port phono with the EMIA silver SUT's.

Wonderful, looking forward to that and great to know about the impact of active Taiko Tana shelf.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike, how's the sample-to-sample consistency between the three Etsuro cartridges?

on Thursday night i removed the resident Gold from the CS Port head shell, removed the new Gold from the box, and attached the new Gold to the same head shell in the same position pushed all the way forward. attached the wires, and screwed it on the arm wand.

then cued it onto the record.

i did not check VTF or overhang. from removal of the head shell from the arm wand, to re-attachment of the head shell, took 4-5 minutes tops

it sounded similarly great. i've not moved it since. obviously there are break-in processes going on to some degree.

WBF member Bobvin was there observing.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks. Which table?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
CS Port linear tracker. LFD phono cable, EMIA silver SUT, CS Port phono, LFD interconnect.

Great, if you like you can blind test us, playing same recordings across your tables

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Great, if you like you can blind test us, playing same recordings across your tables

not sure i'm ready to dive into the deep end yet. we might get there. not entirely satisfied. but at least i'm getting to volume levels that is useable.

Last edited:
Reactions: the sound of Tao

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
not sure i'm ready to dive into the deep end yet. we might get there.

My suggestion is that if you want to post videos it's better to dive in. If you post a test video, there is no context for listeners and they might make the wrong judgements people skeptical of videos worry about. Gian's system thread did well because it played videos controlling variables helping those who followed it relate to the variables as it moved on. Same with Howie's, his amp compare was extremely telling.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
My suggestion is that if you want to post videos it's better to dive in. If you post a test video, there is no context for listeners and they might make the wrong judgements people skeptical of videos worry about. Gian's system thread did well because it played videos controlling variables helping those who followed it relate to the variables as it moved on. Same with Howie's, his amp compare was extremely telling.

appreciate your perspective. not sure i'm buying it though. my perspective is more to post video's of music, and not gear comparisons. i might change later.

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
appreciate your perspective. not sure i'm buying it though. my perspective is more to post video's of music, and not gear comparisons. i might change later.
Many thanks for sharing. If possible, would love to hear a recording of So What (whichever LP you consider best) and perhaps some Led Zep on CS Port or other rock with some driving drums and bass. Many thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Music is good Capitan.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Sounds nice mike , a lot of nuance in the voice .

Bonzo wants to put everybody to work ;)

thank you.

Bonzo has his agenda (nothing nefarious, just an extreme passion for gear compares with no fear of heights) that is separate from mine (just hanging out and sharing and participating without causing harm).

what i will be working on is to find the video posting method to capture more of that nuance and a less veiled result than where i'm at. my perspective is that what i'm hearing in my room sets new standards for me in musical nuance and natural textures. and where video is both powerful and troubling is that the listener hears this hint of reality (of what i hear in my room) and then (based on pre-supposed assumptions) fills in the blanks. spinning it this way or that. there is some truth, but much hunch involved. i need to reduce the degree of hunch. i realize i cannot eliminate it.

so i will enter this zone slowly and cautiously.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
My point is you can't fill in those blanks over video. Video gives an idea, doesn't fill in completely. So might as well compare tables. Not being nefarious, just pragmatic.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
My point is you can't fill in those blanks over video. Video gives an idea, doesn't fill in completely. So might as well compare tables. Not being nefarious, just pragmatic.

well.....er......my point is that you can't really effectively compare tables.......it's a dot connecting free-for-all.

i put my life into hearing musical truth, then delegate perceptions to MP3 through computer speakers recorded by amateurs with phones.:rolleyes::eek:

with much commitment comes much trepidation.

i absolutely see that you have no negative thoughts or intentions. it's just who wants to come out and play on your terms.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing