Etsuro Gold MC Cartridge in house

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: tima

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
this week i've added a third Etsuro Gold cartridge which will be installed on the Durand Telos Sapphire on the NVS, causing me to put my long time reference Clearaudio GFS (Goldfinger Statement) up for sale.

the Gold touches all the bases for me. i'm a man of simple tastes.......

looking forward to choosing any of the turntables seamlessly.
Mike, we need the Etsuro Golds on three identical tonearms on three different tables. I'm reading Ked's mind...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Mike, we need the Etsuro Golds on three identical tonearms on three different tables. I'm reading Ked's mind...

He needs to create an arm base on his NVS for the CS port linear tracker, and one on the CS port table for the Durand

Reactions: howiebrou

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Wow - that says a lot for the Etsuro Gold. Given you have three different tables and arms and likely could have any combination of cartridges on them that you choose, you choose to have the same cartridge on all three! And it yields different flavors from each!

You're beyond beyond.

Edit: I must confess though - maybe its my system - I've never had any of B's late string quartets 'wash over me.' Well, maybe the Grosse Fugue. It would almost be like saying Bartok washed over me ... (That's a very weak almost.)
I love Bartok. But even I admit he shoves you into the ocean rather than washes over you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Wow, that is saying something because I know what the GFS can do- I have one. Congratulations on your new cartridge coming in.

thank you.

the GFS is a really outstanding cartridge, that has always delivered for me. it is totally unflappable and gets the nuance and soul, as well as the large scale with total confidence it will never lose it's bearings. it was a significant jump over the Ortofon Anna that had been my previous 'go-to'.

wish i could rationalize keeping it.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
that impressive, congrats!
i understand the comparison stand of view for having the same cart in all different TT and tone-arms, but why not to verify between them?
is it not the meaning of getting multi arms and turntables? or do you think the Gold can do everything better than any of the cart's you ever listen to?
im very interesting in your POV, as im waiting for my Bordeaux.

congrats on the Bordeaux, really like Jazdoc's a lot.

yes; the Gold is a breed apart to my ears in my experience. A/B's have been pretty startling. and it brings out the best of and what is uniquely special about each arm and turntable. it seems to really work for what my system is doing too.

there are a number of cartridges i have not heard, so i don't claim any universality to my perspectives.

my motivation now is not significantly gear discovery, but more musical enjoyment. vanity and gear love is always a component of any hobby effort, so i don't want to claim any higher view than the next guy......but that's my story. i'm now 9 months into these three turntables and arms all together, and so the curiosity stage is behind me. now it's how the experience sits. and the tool i prefer to unlock musical mysteries is the Etsuro Gold. i do have my pair of Miyajima Infinity mono's, the 1.0 mil on the standard wood arm wand on the NVS, and soon the 0.7 mil mounted on the Durand Kairos/EMT 948 (waiting for longer mounting screws to arrive from Robin Wyatt for the thick shank of the Kairos tonearm).

Reactions: byrdparis

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
thank you.

the GFS is a really outstanding cartridge, that has always delivered for me. it is totally unflappable and gets the nuance and soul, as well as the large scale with total confidence it will never lose it's bearings. it was a significant jump over the Ortofon Anna that had been my previous 'go-to'.

wish i could rationalize keeping it.

I will look back regarding your thoughts on on the Etsuro in older posts however, will be looking forward to your notes regarding the 3 in your listening room when you get set up.

Thanks.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I love it! It will allow some terrific observations while eliminating a key variable, namely cartridge differences. I can't wait to see what you learn! I guess the real trick is getting them each aligned perfectly since minute differences in set-up can throw a wrench into the system. However, my guess is that won't be a concern at all in your capable hands. This should be a fun exercise!

thank you Marty,

at first i had the Ortofon Anna Diamond and the GFS as mates to the Etsuro Gold.....on the three arms. but all i wanted to listen to was the Gold, yet those other two were really fine. so i offered both for sale, sold the Anna D. and kept the GFS. now the same again.

i cannot say my motivation is scientific curiosity and i'm being that logical. i just want each tt/arm at it's best for the music. and honestly the Gold is forgiving of less than perfect set-up and never snarls at me; but does reward precision too.

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Wow - that says a lot for the Etsuro Gold. Given you have three different tables and arms and likely could have any combination of cartridges on them that you choose, you choose to have the same cartridge on all three! And it yields different flavors from each!

You're beyond beyond.

Edit: I must confess though - maybe its my system - I've never had any of B's late string quartets 'wash over me.' Well, maybe the Grosse Fugue. It would almost be like saying Bartok washed over me ... (That's a very weak almost.)

there is something magical about the CS Port air bearing linear tracker; it's low pressure, low flow approach allows for this ultra delicate and ethereal presentation. and when the music is sympathetic to that aspect it doubles down on that. then there is how the Saskia can be complimentary to classical small combo recordings with a very low noise approach yet also add that idler drive PRaT. i'll listen to a side of a string quartet on the CS Port, then immediately throw it on the Saskia. the 2 Golds bring out all the colors and textures but slightly differently on each turntable and arm. the music just opens up and is laid bare. both are plugged into the EMIA SUT's and CS Port phono so it's subtle but musically entertaining differences.

yes; i lay back and let it wash over me and the world receeds.

Reactions: tima and Lagonda

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mike, you rarely talk about the NVS anymore. Is there any risk that in 6-12 months you'll only be running the CS P and Saskia? The word "only" doing some fairly heavy lifting Lol.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, you rarely talk about the NVS anymore. Is there any risk that in 6-12 months you'll only be running the CS P and Saskia? The word "only" doing some fairly heavy lifting Lol.

at this point there are not risks. since if it did turn out i moved away from one of the turntables there is no down side.

so i will just see how my experience goes. it's fair to say that up till now i'm listening to the NVS the least. however; two things now might/should switch the balance. (1) the third Gold. (2) the new Infinity Mono cartridges. once the other Infinity is mounted i plan on a push to dive deep into mono's. and if i start acquiring more mono's then the NVS will get lots of action.

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
there is something magical about the CS Port air bearing linear tracker; it's low pressure, low flow approach allows for this ultra delicate and ethereal presentation. and when the music is sympathetic to that aspect it doubles down on that. then there is how the Saskia can be complimentary to classical small combo recordings with a very low noise approach yet also add that idler drive PRaT. i'll listen to a side of a string quartet on the CS Port, then immediately throw it on the Saskia. the 2 Golds bring out all the colors and textures but slightly differently on each turntable and arm. the music just opens up and is laid bare. both are plugged into the EMIA SUT's and CS Port phono so it's subtle but musically entertaining differences.

yes; i lay back and let it wash over me and the world receeds.

Mike, many thanks for the updates. Would it be possible for you to share your thoughts on the key sonic differences between the Dart phono section and the CS Port phono when used with the Etsuro Gold, especially in terms of bass definition and microdynamics? Many thanks

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, many thanks for the updates. Would it be possible for you to share your thoughts on the key sonic differences between the Dart phono section and the CS Port phono when used with the Etsuro Gold, especially in terms of bass definition and microdynamics? Many thanks

once i get the Etsuro Gold mounted on the NVS i will try my best to do just that. my hunch is that on those two things that the CS Port phono and dart phono are similar based on living with them. one has to consider that the NVS sits on an active Taiko Tana shelf, which absolutely translates into some advantages for both bass definition and micro-dynamics. and then there is the CS Port phono on it's own, and CS Port phono with the EMIA silver SUT's.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing