Good mid-price audiophile switches

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
Thank you very much Mark.
ER is very LPS’s dependent and last one power cord dependent too…
I imagine you were using same ethernet cables (Which ones?).
I understand ECSS is faster, articulate and open. So it betters from mids to highs with less heavy midbass. Midbass is very important to have a good timing.
What about bass, slam and soundstage in ECSS vs ER.
Regards !!!
PD: I have EC Extreme LPS.

markramler

Sep 19, 2014
New York, NY
Thank you very much Mark.
ER is very LPS’s dependent and last one power cord dependent too…
I imagine you were using same ethernet cables (Which ones?).
I understand ECSS is faster, articulate and open. So it betters from mids to highs with less heavy midbass. Midbass is very important to have a good timing.
What about bass, slam and soundstage in ECSS vs ER.
Regards !!!
PD: I have EC Extreme LPS.
I was using Transparent ethernet cables and later WireWorld Starlight Platinum Cat 8. The LPS was Keces P8 and I was using Ghent Gotham DC cables.
The ECSS was better in all respects, tonal balance, dynamics, soundstage, imaging etc. I have Edison’s standard switch.

slai

Dec 13, 2020
Singapore, Shanghai
I purchased the ER before the ECSS. I found when using the ER going from the A side to the B side, across the moat, streaming into the network input of my Dac that the music sounded a bit bloated with a heavy midrange and lower midrange presentation. I was using an external power supply for the ER, but that did not help. So I used the A side, the switch side only, and not the B side which is the re-clocked side and the tonal balance was much better. After reading about the ECSS I decided to get it. It does have an internal power supply and will benefit from a up market power cable. As soon as I plugged the ECSS in my system I immediately heard a significant improvement in the sound quality of my Dac. The sound was more immediate and harmonically articulate, it really opened up. I believe the ECSS has a superior clock and further lowers the noise floor. I subsequently purchased the EC Fiber Box ii which further improved the sound. I now use the ER upstream with my router, A side only.
Mark
Indeed superior clock(s) will definitely enhance the audio performance (darker background, more pronounced sonic performance at low volumes, better bass definitions, more 3-D bass, better sound staging, etc). These changes are not day & night differences but once you heard it, you will know it especially through songs/music which one is very familiar with. Actual differences will be subjected to your overall system components and synergy. I am experiencing this with a US$400 dual OCXO switch at the moment which is convincing me to let go the eR.

Last edited:

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Has anyone compared a switch at your rack vs a switch away from equipment. I have never seen an issue with my server and DAC on my rack. I don't know a switch is any worse. But its worth investing.
How about the optimum length of ethernet from the switch to the server.

Superdad

Apr 22, 2015
Has anyone compared a switch at your rack vs a switch away from equipment. I have never seen an issue with my server and DAC on my rack. I don't know a switch is any worse. But its worth investing.
How about the optimum length of ethernet from the switch to the server.
Due to deterioration of signal integrity, Ethernet cables longer than about 2 meters activate extra DSP circuits in the PHY/ receiver chips of the equipment they are connecting. This is not desirable as such circuits increase ground-plane noise. So it is best to keep short the cable from the final switch to whatever is your DAC-attached computer/streamer/renderer endpoint (or Etherne-input-equipped DAC).
[This is what we advise EtherREGEN owners and it is based on knowledge that my partner John Swenson has—since he literally designed Ethernet PHY chips during his 31 years as a senior engineer at LSI Logic>Avago>Broadcom.]

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Thanks superdad.
What is the optimum PS one can get for an EtherRegen. Probably a stupid question as your going to support the products you build.

I looked into the Silent Switch OCXO. They are $1250 in the US and require $350 shipping. Its a $1600 switch. Something to consider when comparing to other.

markramler

Sep 19, 2014
New York, NY
Thanks superdad.
What is the optimum PS one can get for an EtherRegen. Probably a stupid question as your going to support the products you build.

I looked into the Silent Switch OCXO. They are $1250 in the US and require $350 shipping. Its a $1600 switch. Something to consider when comparing to other.
I purchased the standard ECSS for $800 plus $100 shipping this year. I believe the Extreme version is $1400. I purchased directly from Edison. The prices for his products are listed on his HK company website. https://nandeaudio.com/shop/

Reactions: CKKeung

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I purchased the standard ECSS for $800 plus $100 shipping this year. I believe the Extreme version is $1400. I purchased directly from Edison. The prices for his products are listed on his HK company website. https://nandeaudio.com/shop/
Might be true. I asked about extreme with no bybee. I did not see extreme in the quote. Shipping at $350 might be about including other items I asked about.

He does quote in Hong Kong $. Exchange rates do fluctuate.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Might be true. I asked about extreme with no bybee. I did not see extreme in the quote. Shipping at $350 might be about including other items I asked about.

He does quote in Hong Kong $. Exchange rates do fluctuate.
Yes the higher shipping is multiple items and the price was an extreme without the bybee rails. I was wrong in my earlier comments. It's more like $800 and $100 to ship.

Now Im all torn over a silent switch or ether regen. I have followed superdad from the days of Computeraudiophile. I was there when people were hot rodding the power supply to a mac mini. I had one of the first PC versions. And here we are today. So many choices. I get where superdad says a switch on my rack with a 2 foot ethernet may up the deal.

But, I could also trade in my DAC for an upgraded Mojo Audio. Be $4K out of hand. But have a far auperior DAC.

Decisions

Reactions: Superdad

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Due to deterioration of signal integrity, Ethernet cables longer than about 2 meters activate extra DSP circuits in the PHY/ receiver chips of the equipment they are connecting.
This is *super* interesting.

Hydrology

Sep 14, 2020
My Waversa SmartHub3.0 has just arrived - will put it into the system at home over the weekend. One of the cool things about this is it has a Roon Bridge mode, so, plug any DAC without streamer into it via USB and Roon will recognize the DAC! In addition to DLNA. And its bloody heavy!

42C45E05-FD65-40AD-A173-F78A83E0C890.png

Reactions: QuadDiffuser

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
This is *super* interesting.
Yes it is. It is why I am considering a second switch at my rack. I definitely heard the first one. I also heard breaking an all in one modem/router into separate units. I heard separates more than I heard LPS to my separates.

Backo NYC/SF

Oct 15, 2021
Recently started using two switches connected by an SFP fiber optic cable so I go rj45 from cable modem to wireless router, rj45 from router to Araknis an210 switch, SFP fiber optic from Araknis switch over to an Araknis an210 switch at the rack and then an rj45 to the streamer. All rj45’s are shielded. Got rid of a lot of noise. I use the two routers because they are set for SFP as well as rj 45 but you could use Ethernet media converters as well. This just got rid of two extra boxes and power supplies.

sandervdp

Nov 3, 2021
I think the best/only option is to order direct. For me the best way was to contact Edison via whatsapp, he’s quick to respond there. Mine (extreme without bybee) is due to ship Jan 4th, from HK to the Netherlands.

Reactions: bfmcosta

markramler

Sep 19, 2014
New York, NY

Nikko

Feb 25, 2021
I've been using an EtherRegen for some years now. I can tell you that the addition of an external clock makes a massive difference to SQ. Being initially somewhat sceptical of the potential improvement, I started out with the entry level "Queen" version of the Afterdark clock (with matching LPU) and my jaw dropped as the music presentation was transformed. So much so that, six months later, I sent the Queen back to AD and got full credit against a OCXO unit near to top of the AD range. Together with their top range BNC cable, the cost is roughly double what I paid for the ER. But what a difference, what an improvement.

My advice to all the ER users out there? Rather than selling the ER on and buying a new switch, check out an AD external clock with the ER. Although Superdad would of course disagree, I think of the ER as a vehicle to introduce the magic of ultra high quality clocks into the reproduction stream.

markramler

Sep 19, 2014
New York, NY

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing