Good mid-price audiophile switches

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
I own this switch with a full loom of Paul Pang ethernet cables.
If like me you are serious about Qobuz and Tidal streaming this is the way to go.
Yes. It was good in my friend set up ( according to owner ) . However , Dead on arrival. Something was not soldered !!! Need to send it to a local tech to troubleshoot to get it to work

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
I just want to go on record as saying I have two of the English Electric switches and hear absolutely no difference from a regular D Link switch. I am streaming Qobuz to my server/player, then DAC. I have a Gigafoil before the server/player which made a profound difference in the sound quality. The EE, other than looking fancy did nothing in my system.

My guess is I'd need to get something with a better clock to hear an actual difference. I will say that after this experience, and $1000 less in my pocket, I will proceed with caution and listen to switches before I commit to any in the future. My short list for switches to listen to now are the SOTM, PhoenixNET, and M12 gold.

Reactions: Johngp

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
@CKKeung

Can the Ediscreation switches be ordered for US market? If so, who distributes to the US?

Thank you!
Hi skids929,
Ediscreation is a "nano" company and all products are hand-built by Edison Wong himself.
There is only an official dealer for Japan. Elsewhere, it adopts a direct sale model and the net prices are lower.
Please communicate with Edison directly for your needs. His English is good.

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Hi skids929,
Ediscreation is a "nano" company and all products are hand-built by Edison Wong himself.
There is only an official dealer for Japan. Elsewhere, it adopts a direct sale model and the net prices are lower.
Thanks..I tried him on FB, haven't heard anything yet...I might shoot him an email as well.

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
IMHO switches aren’t still well developed. They have a lot of improvements to do. It is a sort of try and error with different clocks and other mods....
LPS and cables has still more impact than switches itself and every opinion is very system dependent. It always is, but talking about switches, much more....
There are too many variables, net signal by coaxial or optical, different companies routers, different LPS for router, different ethernet cables, etc....
Edison switch has less variables with its internal LPS, no optical connection and it has a bonus with its new grounded/float input selector that is very interesting.
Edison has a lot of experience modding other switches so it is very easy to concluded he has packed all his experience with switches, clocks and LPS with a price that i see as acceptable to a component that will be improved, from audiophile perspective, very soon as research continues .. Every switch model of any brand will be bettered soon, so i won’t spend to much on what ever switch....

I agree with this wholeheartedly...Having been in this hobby for 25+ years I am one to take the sit back and wait approach when it comes to new tech (I wasn't always that way) at this point. I've learned sometimes it's better to watch and wait than be the guinea pig. Servers for example, I just recently let go of my MacMini as my server (3-5 years overdue), only after I was able to listen to some servers in my own system, which is not the norm or what I expect when I upgrade a component. Although I love the idea of new tech, I tend to be a purist when it comes to 2 channel listening and the signal path, so something new thats not widely adopted yet isn't something I want to throw funds at. What I am sure of though, is that the two English Electric switches (TXC0 Clocks) I currently own were more or less a wast of money and did nothing to clean up the sound. Gigafoil however was worth every penney.

I agree with your sentiment that these switches are in a state of disruption and will continue to evolve which is why I am hesitant to spend alot of money on them at the moment. I initially told myself I wouldn't go over $1000, now I am looking at $2000 + switches, but I really feel that these makers are all settling in on what works best and to spend a over $2k right now isn't the best idea as something better will likely come along in a year or two.

Last edited:

Superdad

Apr 22, 2015
Although I love the idea of new tech, I tend to be a purist when it comes to 2 channel listening and the signal path, so something new thats not widely adopted yet isn't something I want to throw funds at. What I am sure of though, is that the two English Electric switches (TXC0 Clocks) I currently own were more or less a wast of money and did nothing to clean up the sound. Gigafoil however was worth every penney.

I agree with your sentiment that these switches are in a state of disruption and will continue to evolve which is why I am hesitant to spend alot of money on them at the moment. I initially told myself I wouldn't go over $1000, now I am looking at $2000 + switches, but I really feel that these makers are all settling in on what works best and to spend a over $2k right now isn't the best idea as something better will likely come along in a year or two.

You might wish to give our $640 EtherREGEN a try. 100% unique circuits (no one else is attempting an active-differential-isolation-moat), 30-day money-back guarantee (fair warning: out of 3,200 units sold, only 9 have been returned), and if you have the network module in your MSB DAC then you are sure to enjoy the EtherREGEN as it truly shines with Ethernet-input-equipped DACs (we have a LOT of fans using with dCS, Bricasti, MolaMola, MSB, PS Audio, Devialet, etc.).

Happy New Years to all!

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
You might wish to give our $640 EtherREGEN a try. 100% unique circuits (no one else is attempting an active-differential-isolation-moat), 30-day money-back guarantee (fair warning: out of 3,200 units sold, only 9 have been returned), and if you have the network module in your MSB DAC then you are sure to enjoy the EtherREGEN as it truly shines with Ethernet-input-equipped DACs (we have a LOT of fans using with dCS, Bricasti, MolaMola, MSB, PS Audio, Devialet, etc.).

Happy New Years to all!
thanks...I've considered it. I am not using the renderer in my MSB, the clock in the Antipodes is my preference and I go AES into the MSB.

ICOREM

Sep 10, 2016
Hi skids929,
Hi all
I wonder if anyone compared the Ediscreation switch which looks very interesting to the pricier Melco and Innuos switches. Yesterday I had a mini shootout with some friends between the Melco and Innuos and it was a very close call albeit to my ears the Innuos bettered. Thanks

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Hi all
I wonder if anyone compared the Ediscreation switch which looks very interesting to the pricier Melco and Innuos switches. Yesterday I had a mini shootout with some friends between the Melco and Innuos and it was a very close call albeit to my ears the Innuos bettered. Thanks

The clocks in both the Edis and Innuous are Connor-Winfield clocks, so similar in that respect. Power supply in the Innuous is likely better than Edis. There are clocks that measure better than what he is using, for whatever thats worth I am not a measurement guy..But when evaluating these switches the clock is a large part of what you should be evaluating. Price on the Edis is right when comparing to the Innuous thats for sure.

To me (and keeping in mind I haven't heard all these), the best combo would be Melco with Pink Faun mods, or just a straight up Buffalo with Pink Fain mods. But to h*ll with those prices, by the time you pay for the PF clock alone you're at $2k + cost of the switch. To me not worth it, making the Edis, Afterdark and HNE much better options.

I ended up ordering this one, will let you know my thoughts when I get it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 5.04.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 5.04.40 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 122
Last edited:

ICOREM

Sep 10, 2016
Skids
Those switch prices are indeed insane but isn't all of this hobby got there years ago...
I will be glad to get your take on the HNE one. I do believe that the Innuos strong side over the competition is the internal PS and if you need to add a decent PS to either the Edis or even the Melco, you end up very close to the cost of the Innuos.

Reactions: skids929

StefanT

Mar 28, 2014
Skids
Those switch prices are indeed insane but isn't all of this hobby got there years ago...
I will be glad to get your take on the HNE one. I do believe that the Innuos strong side over the competition is the internal PS and if you need to add a decent PS to either the Edis or even the Melco, you end up very close to the cost of the Innuos.
Just to be clear: The Ediscreation Silent Switch OCXO is using an built-in Discrete Circuit design linear supply for main power together with Ultra low noise LDO for OCXO clock power. See https://ediscreation.com/product/silent-switch-ocxo/

ICOREM

Sep 10, 2016
Sure thing Stefan.I meant that I believe that the built in LPS from Innuos is its best advantage. Do you have personal experience with Ediscreation switch ?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
The clocks in both the Edis and Innuous are Connor-Winfield clocks, so similar in that respect. Power supply in the Innuous is likely better than Edis. There are clocks that measure better than what he is using, for whatever thats worth I am not a measurement guy..But when evaluating these switches the clock is a large part of what you should be evaluating. Price on the Edis is right when comparing to the Innuous thats for sure.

To me (and keeping in mind I haven't heard all these), the best combo would be Melco with Pink Faun mods, or just a straight up Buffalo with Pink Fain mods. But to h*ll with those prices, by the time you pay for the PF clock alone you're at $2k + cost of the switch. To me not worth it, making the Edis, Afterdark and HNE much better options.

I ended up ordering this one, will let you know my thoughts when I get it.
Hi skids929,
Your HNE Labs switch with ext psu looks very wellbuilt!
Congrats!

May you give us more info about it?
From which switch is it modded from?
What's the sonic characters when compared to other audiophile switches?
What's the approximate net price?

Many thanks for your advice in advance!
:)

Reactions: skids929

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Hi skids929,
Your HNE Labs switch with ext psu looks very wellbuilt!
Congrats!

May you give us more info about it?
From which switch is it modded from?
What's the sonic characters when compared to other audiophile switches?
What's the approximate net price?

Many thanks for your advice in advance!

I will report sonics once I receive the switch..This one is based off the Buffalo Switch entirely. Price will depend on the config, he can make them in a one box design or two box design where PS is isolated. Uses Talema or Toroidy Transformers, I got Toroidy.

If the switch makes an audible difference I am going to get another and layer them.

Last edited:
Reactions: CKKeung

antigrunge

Jan 17, 2022
I have added a Chinese $400 Ocxo switch in front of my Etherregen clocked by Antelope Rubidium clock. The result is a leap in sound quality. My Etherregen runs from a Zerozone 2020 Benchmark LPSU, agsin a significant improvement over Uptone stock. It all feeds into a InnuOS Zenith Mk3 in turn feeding an Antelope Platinum DAC on the same clock via Intona Isolator and USB Reference cable into a Wavac EC300b. Adding clocking accuracy pays every time in digitsl audio. BNC cables matter, too. I use Shunyata clock Signa and Sommercable BNcs. Lots of trial and error to get there.

Reactions: slai and Superdad

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
Selling at around usd800 only, but with proprietary circuit boards, internal linear power supply & ocxo module, the Edison switch is a steal for sure.
Sonic-performance-wise it can fight with many of the more expensive audio switches and right now if any friends in HK ask me for advice on mid-price audiophile switches, I will recommend Edison switch to them.

Concerning Bybee filters, I think it creates so much quietness that some air-iness and dynamics are gone.
This can be diff if the mains is very noisy.
My personal preference only.
A big thank you to CKKeung for recommending the (Bybee-less) Ediscreation Silent Switch OCXO Extreme! Mine will be arriving in Singapore by mid-Feb, and will be placed between my ORBI satellite WiFi switch and my Aurender N30 music server/streamer. The Silent Switch OCXO Extreme will be an economized version of what I have in Hong Kong, and will effectively allow me to bypass (at least) seven separate components (see yellow highlights below), making my setup neater without (hopefully) sacrificing performance too much.

InkedScreenshot edited 2 2022-01-19 174309_LI.jpg

Reactions: battles and CKKeung

QuadDiffuser

VIP/Donor
Apr 2, 2017
Hong Kong
Received the Ediscreation Silent Switch OCXO Extreme (Bybee-less), and it’s been a wonderful addition to my secondary system in Singapore !

Attachments

• 7502C266-EBA7-4140-B684-6A10E3A9CBF3.jpeg
    7502C266-EBA7-4140-B684-6A10E3A9CBF3.jpeg
    340.7 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing