Good mid-price audiophile switches

Forte

Feb 16, 2017
Marty, I would agree with you in that we can’t evaluate on just switch alone. It may be better to compare “switch, ps and cabling” as a whole ecosystem based on one’s personal budget (ie. $400, $1000, $2000 all in)
There are many variables to all the different switch setups:
- # cables needed (Ethernet, dc power, powercord)
- upgradable lpsu
- internal and external clock options
- and many other “mods”

As everyone has different gear and rooms, there is no one size fits all.
Therefore, everyone would likely need to “switch roll” to see what sounds best in their setup. good when you have friends or dealers you could borrow from.

Reactions: Parsons

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
There are many variants of these Chinese LPS units with different names on their chassis (probably OEM'd mostly by 1 or 2 companies) that are well made and incredibly inexpensive. (My 12v unit says "Breeze Hifi" on the chassis but I have no idea who actually made it). Still, the use of Talema transformers and Schottky diode rectifiers are attractive features that appear to contribute to good sound in many of these "no name" units. Judge these units by their performance, not their price. You might just be as impressed as I was when I learned that it sounded significantly better than the SOtM unit it replaced (and weighs twice as much!). I have 3 of these (2@12v; 1@5v) made by various manufacturers (or perhaps more accurately, have different names on their chassis).
Excellent point about power supplies! My EtherRegen was improved significantly by a Farad Super 3. For my opticalModule, I use a "Breeze Audio" LPS followed by one of these DXP-1A5S single stage regulators. The dual and single stage regulators sold at https://www.ldovr.com can offer a nice improvement to many of the inexpensive power supplies available. They work exceptionally well with batteries like this one.

FredM

Dec 28, 2019
Being able to Mod a meraki MS switch for Audio is very interesting especially if this allows the continued use of POE on the switch.

Can you point me towards the forums where this is being done?

Thanks!
A while ago a link was shared, buy I can’t find it, sorry. Perhaps Google can help

Reactions: 2ndLiner

Caseyboy

Jan 18, 2021
I am in Canada and some of these just seem unobtainable - in typical Canuck fashion the English Electric 8switch is front and centre and easy to acquire.

Looking at a switch to sit between my IP modem / router and ether regen which feeds my Lumin streamer. I am thinking they all kind of do the same thing to approximately same degree or am I wrong. Definately in this mid price category.

Have a couple of LPSs that I can use for this purpose.

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil

Forte

Feb 16, 2017
I am in Canada and some of these just seem unobtainable - in typical Canuck fashion the English Electric 8switch is front and centre and easy to acquire.

Looking at a switch to sit between my IP modem / router and ether regen which feeds my Lumin streamer. I am thinking they all kind of do the same thing to approximately same degree or am I wrong. Definately in this mid price category.

Have a couple of LPSs that I can use for this purpose.
Silent Angel is easily obtainable for a lower price than EE8 in Canada

Caseyboy

Jan 18, 2021
was fishing around looking a Ediscreation switch today - between google translators could only find it out of Hong Kong. Price is in the mid range ballpark - might be a step up and worth exploring it as well...

Caseyboy

Jan 18, 2021
Just want to report that I picked up a Silent Angel Bonn N8 from RedDotAudio in Vancouver last week. Have it connected to an Uptone LPS 1.2 the last few days - not a lot of hours on it but it is a holy crap sound upgrade sitting between my IPS modem and an etherregen. Listening to Folk Alley streaming radio this morning and pretty everything sounds much more detailed and lighted up live in the room sounding than I am used to.

Have an Lumin U1 mini feeding a lampizator dac to Hegel amp and Harbeth speakers. If this mid-price can not quite imagine what higher priced switches will do...

Reactions: CKKeung and Forte

fabs35

Feb 9, 2021
I just bought an N&E Ocxo Extreme switch and I am very satisfied. It is connected to a Soundaware streamer, a Dac Meitner and It replaces a Silent Bonn N8. I find it very musical (more density, more details). And Edison has an extraordinary sense of service and is very available. It's great

Reactions: Forte

Forte

Feb 16, 2017
I thought Bonn N8 slightly musical and 2 is a lot more musical and quiet. Wonder how N&E extreme compares to pair of N8/F1?

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas
Excellent point about power supplies! My EtherRegen was improved significantly by a Farad Super 3. For my opticalModule, I use a "Breeze Audio" LPS followed by one of these DXP-1A5S single stage regulators. The dual and single stage regulators sold at https://www.ldovr.com can offer a nice improvement to many of the inexpensive power supplies available. They work exceptionally well with batteries like this one.
Had you tried the LPS-1.2 with your EtherREGEN? Thoughts?

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Had you tried the LPS-1.2 with your EtherREGEN? Thoughts?

No as the reports suggested it couldn't supply enough current to make the ER really shine. The Super3 can supply enough current - and it really does make the ER shine.

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas
No as the reports suggested it couldn't supply enough current to make the ER really shine. The Super3 can supply enough current - and it really does make the ER shine.
Thank you kindly.

Markus87

Feb 10, 2021
Solothurn, Switzerland
I am on the hunt for a new switch for my audio system as well.

The switch should meet the following requirements
- at least 4 SFP or SFP+ ports (more is better), SFP+ (10Gbe) would be another benefit (gear for photography workflow is also involved in my network)
- good internal build (e.g. linear DC-DC converters) —> switching converters might be up for an upgrade?
- Either a good internal LPSU (suitable for 230V AC) or connection for external LPSU (12V preferred)
- high precision clock(s)
- ideally not huge in terms of dimensions (full-size 1U 19“ is too big)

Unfortunately I was not able to find anything out in the market so far :(

Does anybody know a starting point? Maybe a solid consumer product that can be modded accordingly?

Following are some consumer products that I already considered:
- Mikrotik CRS309-1G-8S+IN: solid build but unfortunately internal switching DC-DC converters, would fit the 10Gbe bill
- Cisco SG350-10SFP: looks very interesting but I couldn’t find any pictures of the internals

Cheers,
Markus

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Edison's Switch looks very well made. Hopefully I can try it some time. View attachment 73099
View attachment 73100

View attachment 73101

View attachment 73102
The products of Edison (N&E Audio) are introduced into Japan and there will be an official dealer :

WBF brother in N Am and Europe can contact Edison directly via their website.
I give the Edison Silent Switch OCXO my sincere recommendation!

Reactions: kennyb123

thyname

Apr 22, 2019
N. Virginia
I was itching to try another Switch and compare it with my Uptone EtherRegen which I bought at launch, circa November 2019.

So I went ahead and ordered the EdisCreation Silent Switch from Hong Kong, just the base version. I am in US.

Edison Wong was very nice to communicate with, very prompt replies to my questions, and his English was more than acceptable. I was told it will take ten days to build and ship. I am in day 6 now. We’ll see. On paper and on pictures looks fantastic for the price, hopefully no different in real life.

I have to admit, I was looking forward to the Innuos PhoenixNET. And disappointed they priced it that high at $3,500 (US dollars). I would have certainly given it a shot if it were two grand or so.

pjwd

Jun 22, 2015
Brisbane
I was itching to try another Switch and compare it with my Uptone EtherRegen which I bought at launch, circa November 2019.

So I went ahead and ordered the EdisCreation Silent Switch from Hong Kong, just the base version. I am in US.

Edison Wong was very nice to communicate with, very prompt replies to my questions, and his English was more than acceptable. I was told it will take ten days to build and ship. I am in day 6 now. We’ll see. On paper and on pictures looks fantastic for the price, hopefully no different in real life.

I have to admit, I was looking forward to the Innuos PhoenixNET. And disappointed they priced it that high at $3,500 (US dollars). I would have certainly given it a shot if it were two grand or so.
Perfect timing , I was trying to figure out which one of these two switches to purchase and really look forward to your comparison
Phil

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

I learned that the Edison switches received very good comments in Japan. The Japan dealer is ordering large quantity of them.
WBF brothers who have interest have to place orders quickly or the waiting time may become even longer.
:D

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain

Have you already received the switch?
Regards !!!

thyname

Apr 22, 2019
N. Virginia
Have you already received the switch?
Regards !!!
Has not shipped yet. I followed up yesterday with Edison and he emailed me back saying "my switch is in process" and will ship this week.

Hopefully it ships soon. And once it ships from Hong Kong, it will take a while to arrive here (I am in USA)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing