Good mid-price audiophile switches

Adco

Feb 1, 2021
Hello all, I rarely post in this forum mostly just a reader . This is an interesting thread , lots to unpack here .

I have an Ediscreation basic switch as well but sorta tackled all this a little differently .

Router >
-Wireworld Starlight cat8 ( 60’) >
-Ediscreation Fibrebox >
-Wireworld Starlight cat8 (3’)>
-Ediscreation switch >
-Wireworld Platinum Starlight cat8>
-Innuos Zenith III >
-Wireworld Platinum Starlight cat8 (3’) >
-Metrum Amber >
-Wireworld Platinum Starlight ( as i2s) >
-Metrum Pavane Level 3 with new dac3 modules

I actually bought the Edis switch and Fibrebox at the same time but inserted the switch first to see where we were at. This brought around a detailed but very calm sound, slightly better assembled soundstage etc... all that you would expect. Terrific upgrade from a very basic single mode fibre optic setup I was using.

After a week I inserted the Ediscreation Fibre box. This is a fibre optic isolation device with a very good power supply and clock. This is what really took my digital front end up a few notches. It didn’t really “change” the sound it just became completely easy to listen too. All the qualities that I already loved about my digital front end were there but things just emote from the soundstage ... it’s really quite something .

The only regret is that I bought the basic version of both and if I had known his products were going to be this good I categorically would have upgraded them.

I am very seriously considering getting the upgraded Fibrebox and inserting it between the Innuos and the Metrum Amber. If it doesn’t improve things there I will just change out the first Fibrebox with the upgraded one and re-inset the basic unit in front of my Lyngdorf MP60 on the theatre side of things

That’s all I got , some first world “problems”

Adco

Feb 1, 2021
Oh... also, and strangely ... for those as OCD as myself I installed very good home brew double shielded furutech power cords on my Ediscreation boxes ... honestly don’t know if they make a difference as I never tried the supplied power cords .

Suppose it cures my general nervosa though

Reactions: CKKeung

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
I received the English Electric 8 switch two days ago. I can't believe a freaking switch makes a difference. I really don't understand why I hear a difference, but I do. I'm listening to ripped cds! Not a night and day difference, but I can definitely hear details more clearly. Maybe 3% difference in the sound. Now I feel more comfortable ordering the ENO streaming system.

Reactions: zonto

JoseAuger

Jul 7, 2021
Just ordered the Silent Switch OCXO Extreme. I plan to order the Fiber Box later after evaluating the switch. At present I have two server/streamers: (1) A Wyred 4 Sound MS Music Server with the i7 package and 4tb ssd; (2) Auralic Aries G 2.1 with 4tb ssd. DAC is PS Audio Direct Stream DAC. Will post my impressions as soon as I receive the switch.

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020
Just ordered the Silent Switch OCXO Extreme. I plan to order the Fiber Box later after evaluating the switch. At present I have two server/streamers: (1) A Wyred 4 Sound MS Music Server with the i7 package and 4tb ssd; (2) Auralic Aries G 2.1 with 4tb ssd. DAC is PS Audio Direct Stream DAC. Will post my impressions as soon as I receive the switch.
What switch are you planning tog replace?

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020

markramler

Sep 19, 2014
New York, NY
What switch are you planning tog replace?
I just set up my new EC Fiber Box II directly upstream to the EC Silent Switch(standard version). Even though it only has about an hour of burn in, I noticed blacker backgrounds, modestly improved dynamics and detail to the music. Edison had stated I should expect a 20% improvement in sound quality. I will let it break in and report.

JoseAuger

Jul 7, 2021
I just set up my new EC Fiber Box II directly upstream to the EC Silent Switch(standard version). Even though it only has about an hour of burn in, I noticed blacker backgrounds, modestly improved dynamics and detail to the music. Edison had stated I should expect a 20% improvement in sound quality. I will let it break in and report.
Great! Let us know your impressions after more use time.

markramler

Sep 19, 2014
New York, NY
It has been 10 ten days since I added the EC Fiber Box II. It has been a worthwhile addition. As I previously stated it lowers the noise floor and backgrounds are blacker. What I have noticed is the soundstage is deeper, I can hear the instruments clearer. Placement of musicians is more 3D and accurate, and clarity has improved. The music is more life like and Redbook streaming has never sounded better.

Reactions: JoseAuger

JoseAuger

Jul 7, 2021
It has been 10 ten days since I added the EC Fiber Box II. It has been a worthwhile addition. As I previously stated it lowers the noise floor and backgrounds are blacker. What I have noticed is the soundstage is deeper, I can hear the instruments clearer. Placement of musicians is more 3D and accurate, and clarity has improved. The music is more life like and Redbook streaming has never sounded better.
I am waiting for my switch from Edison. I hope he can ship it soon so that I can evaluate it and then decide whether the fiber box is necessary.

markramler

Sep 19, 2014
New York, NY
I am waiting for my switch from Edison. I hope he can ship it soon so that I can evaluate it and then decide whether the fiber box is necessary.
Jose
The EC Silent Switch was a significant improvement in my system over the ER, using the ENO AG, to my Dac. The Fiber Box further enhances what the Silent Switch does, they are made to be compatible. I still use the ER A side only (no clock) upstream to the Box for video streaming.
I agree you need to first evaluate the impact of the Silent Switch on your system. I am very interested in hearing your results.

Edision shipped the switch to me in 2 weeks and the Fiber Box in 3 weeks. Then it took another week to arrive.
Mark

JoseAuger

Jul 7, 2021
Jose
The EC Silent Switch was a significant improvement in my system over the ER, using the ENO AG, to my Dac. The Fiber Box further enhances what the Silent Switch does, they are made to be compatible. I still use the ER A side only (no clock) upstream to the Box for video streaming.
I agree you need to first evaluate the impact of the Silent Switch on your system. I am very interested in hearing your results.

Edision shipped the switch to me in 2 weeks and the Fiber Box in 3 weeks. Then it took another week to arrive.
Mark
Ok. As soon as I receive the switch and have the opportunity to listen to it carefully, I will post the results.

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Any comparisons of silent switch to SoTM? Or how about adding the fiber box to an SOTM?

Jul 11, 2021
A couple of months ago my Ediscreation Silent Network Switch (extreme version) arrived along with Ediscreation 12v LPS (standard version) and some cables. It was part of an upgrade process for my home and Hifimediy network.

I am really pleased with the impact of the switch! And the build quality is great! now Two months everything Is settled in and is still surprising me. Edison has certainly hit a sweet spot for value and quality, although I didn’t test other switches (apart from using edge router x in the process to see which was not a good switch on its own) I can definitely recommend Ediscreation based on my own experience.

I added a router and wifi access point too but I logged all the changes and impact on sound in stages, you can find the full journey in the below link.
Dan

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020
A couple of months ago my Ediscreation Silent Network Switch (extreme version) arrived along with Ediscreation 12v LPS (standard version) and some cables. It was part of an upgrade process for my home and Hifimediy network.

I am really pleased with the impact of the switch! And the build quality is great! now Two months everything Is settled in and is still surprising me. Edison has certainly hit a sweet spot for value and quality, although I didn’t test other switches (apart from using edge router x in the process to see which was not a good switch on its own) I can definitely recommend Ediscreation based on my own experience.

I added a router and wifi access point too but I logged all the changes and impact on sound in stages, you can find the full journey in the below link.
Dan

Thank you Dan, very impressive write up.
As for the final stage. Have you considered ENO ag, Ediscreation fiber box, or the new Waversa Lan EXT-1 isolator. I have not tried
either of them and they may work a bit different from each other.
I only use a an etherregen with external Afterdark OXCO clock and external powersupplies. My ISP and Asus router is also powered by ATL Hifi L-50 powersupplies. (good choice from Bulgaria if you will not buy from China) Ethernet cables from Sablon audio.

Jul 11, 2021
Thank you Magnus (I hope it is correct)
Yes I have very much considered fibre box or a an optical link of some kind, Ediscreation has a clock in theirs so seems a double win, the Eno I read about but I would like to read more from people experiences.

ethernet cables is a whole other topic! after a forum friend encouraged me to experiment with 10/100 baseT cables (2 twisted pairs not 4) for streaming (I like it!) I have been very intrigued by ethernet cable design and the effects of shielding on perceived sound and also of the impedance of the digital ethernet cable and how it effects sound also. net isolater (transformers and choke) is a part of that experimenting but I think this one is a longer journey I am happy to explore :) I am testing out a budget isolater that was not designed for music systems, it is grounded which I found unusual. I think it’s being held back by quality of transformer chip and connections so I am not fully happy with the result but it’s interesting, soon I will go back to without an isolater and see how it is now I got used to it. I think Eno is more advanced here in quality, maybe the afterdark isolater too. How is the afterdark clock for you?

Back to the fibre link, I really don’t know if it might be best to isolate the wifi access point through fibre link or the dac / amp from the switch, it’s worth trying both ways I think.

Sablon cables :) would like to try!

Reactions: Magnuska

ingemar

May 21, 2013
Gothenburg(Sweden)
Hi all.
Need some help from you guyz,how do i wire it to the pads,the clock signal on the pad nearest the white dot but where do i solder the other wire??The switch by the way is a buffalo gs 2008.
Have a great weekend:)Problem solved!

Attachments

• 210217030110670172.jpg
    210217030110670172.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

JoseAuger

Jul 7, 2021
The Silent Switch arrives tomorrow. Question: How are the ground/isolate switches used? What's their purpose?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing