Gryphon Apex Stereo or Mephisto Solos

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
His last few videos were recorded using Mephisto’s Low Bias setting. He is probably the only person who uses Mephisto in class AB instead of class A, very strange.

Reactions: John T and Lee

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
T
These days you tube performance is critical lol .
A good stereo system now has to do both well.

I do agree Jays comparisons are interesting to watch , but High end audio is a personal lifestyle choice .
Nothing beats a 2 / 4 weeks home demo .

Cant believe he switched to Focal JM labs again though .
With the screamy inverted dome berylium tweeter /unnatural sound
That just means he found a pair Focals cheap and wants to make a fast profit !
Pump and dump ! ;) Business as usual !:)

Reactions: aangen

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Hi, I need your help. I have to decide purchasing Apex stereo or Mephisto solos. Gryphon brochure and on line web page shows Apex seems better or equivalent to Mephisto solos and slightly cost less On the other hand, Mephisto is still a proven and beloved mono amplifier although it is 8 years old design.

I am on the market to purchase my new amplifier and would appreciate your comment and advice for right decision,

I would put my money on Apex Stereo i am pretty sure it has more power than you ever will need for any speaker....

Reactions: andromedaaudio

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I would put my money on Apex Stereo i am pretty sure it has more power than you ever will need for any speaker....
Having owned Antileon, Colosseum and Mephisto...I would agree. This is a new generation of all-out flagship for Gryphon.

Reactions: aangen

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Having owned Antileon, Colosseum and Mephisto...I would agree. This is a new generation of all-out flagship for Gryphon.
I also agree. I think Apex and Essence are the new generation and should share similar sound signature. Essence got all praises and a few people prefer Essence over old generation of Gryphon.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Amadeus,

Hope your Robert Kodas are doing well. I just wanted to let you know that in addition to the isolation (sent you a few photos) I found worked exceptionally well...I have discovered over the last 5.5 days that the Entreq latest generation grounding boxes (Pluton) are stunningly good with th Robert Koda.

I am still using Tripoint on the chassis of the Zanden 4-box but the Entreq has taken over the 3 Robert Kodas and the 2 signal grounds. It was pretty basic improvement for 2 hours up to 2 days...'hmmm -- interesting' day 2-4...then day '5' it was 'had not heard that before but still just solid upgrade nothing major.'

...then day 5.5 and the Robert Koda's have grown a power and effortlessness and expanse that has categorically eclipsed the earlier performance in this room with the Gryphon Mephisto and Tripoint in the otherwise identical system. (And I note that Gryphon liked Tripoint better than Entreq in most all categories in our room during the comparison.)

The Robert Koda upper bass now exceeds the sheer foundational prowess of the Gryphon which was shocking...but brings to bear all the organic, nuanced, detailed qualities that Robert Koda brings to the entire musical spectrum.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I also agree. I think Apex and Essence are the new generation and should share similar sound signature. Essence got all praises and a few people prefer Essence over old generation of Gryphon.
Yes, I have consistently heard from many people that the direction Gryphon is moving in continues to refine and improve.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Yes, I watched YouTube of Laurence and Jeff Fritz together with Rune and Fritz. Seems to be a lot of improvement on Apex compare to Mephisto. I am still wondering between much improved Apex stereo vs Mephisto solos. May be it is not apple to apple comparison.
Jeff will being doing a demo with Apex. Not exactly sure when it is coming. I spoke with him a few weeks back, no commander coming with the Apex? I would have liked to get his take with Commander in the mix. I'm on the fence, same as some of you. Apex Stereo Vs Mephisto Solos? From what Gryphon is expressing Apex ( I also spoke with Rune) Stereo will outperform the Solos. I was curious as to how much the Apex Stereo will outperform my Mephisto Stereo! No doubt folks with Solos and Mephisto will have some interesting decisions to make.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Jeff will being doing a demo with Apex. Not exactly sure when it is coming. I spoke with him a few weeks back, no commander coming with the Apex? I would have liked to get his take with Commander in the mix. I'm on the fence, same as some of you. Apex Stereo Vs Mephisto Solos? From what Gryphon is expressing Apex ( I also spoke with Rune) Stereo will outperform the Solos. I was curious as to how much the Apex Stereo will outperform my Mephisto Stereo! No doubt folks with Solos and Mephisto will have some interesting decisions to make.
Very interesting! An enormous fan of Gryphons having owned them consecutively for nearly 12 years thru Mephisto Stereo, combined with CJ preamps through CJ GAT 2. I am most interested in finding out how amazing the Apex is...I am think superbly so.

Do let us know if you hear it...and particularly if you get it!

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Will do LL21. I got vey close to pulling the string, the deal for my Mephisto/Pandora got "complicated" so I backed off. I don't know if I could ever stray from Gryphon now? I suspect availability APEX/COMMANDER will be stretched out, that is what I have gathered. A lot of excitement over this. One would think the APEX has to excel. It would be nice to get some feedback from "ears on".

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Will do LL21. I got vey close to pulling the string, the deal for my Mephisto/Pandora got "complicated" so I backed off. I don't know if I could ever stray from Gryphon now? I suspect availability APEX/COMMANDER will be stretched out, that is what I have gathered. A lot of excitement over this. One would think the APEX has to excel. It would be nice to get some feedback from "ears on".
I totally appreciate that. There is a reason we were CJ Preamp - Gryphon Amp for nearly 12 years straight. A sound that we preferred over all comers. The CJ sound is sublime. The Gryphon equally is perhaps not more so...not because the CJ is not great...but because the Gryphon sound is harder to replicate its equal when you are looking for all-out unstoppable effortlessness and ease, yet power both macro and micro...and also value the delicate touch and organic qualities of Class A sound.

Definitely do please keep us posted on the Commander/Apex...

John T

Feb 15, 2022
The CJ caught my eye in your first post. Very interesting. So if I understand properly you find the CJ compliments that "very specific Gryphon SQ" or presentation? It keeps up with it? I was always hesitant as to the potential throttling of the Mephisto or masking what it does so well. I have heard of several different Preamp combos with Mephisto/Gryphon. I have this "fixation" on pairing Power/Pre with the same maker. Like it is etched in stone! None of this is etched anywhere, except within this obsession!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The CJ caught my eye in your first post. Very interesting. So if I understand properly you find the CJ compliments that "very specific Gryphon SQ" or presentation? It keeps up with it? I was always hesitant as to the potential throttling of the Mephisto or masking what it does so well. I have heard of several different Preamp combos with Mephisto/Gryphon. I have this "fixation" on pairing Power/Pre with the same maker. Like it is etched in stone! None of this is etched anywhere, except within this obsession!
The CJ GAT 2 definitely is a refined, articulate, low-noise preamp where purity and clarity are primary in their design. Relative to the CJ GAT 1, it also added much greater dynamic range/power.

I spoke with Gryphon about the fact that the CJ SE and they were not particularly bothered by it, and we ended up leaving the IC as RCA-XLR and were very happy with it.

Over time, I came across one of the few (perhaps the only?) preamp that I had in the back of my mind as a possible successor...the Robert Koda K15EX. It was equally written with the evenness of spectrum and emphasis on instant ability to scale dynamically as the CJ...but even purer, quieter, more detailed and with greater more powerful dynamic range.

I never felt any desire to try the Pandora, and in fact had spoken with quite a few owners who owned/had auditioned the Pandora. Then along came the opportunity to have the K160 Monos (pure Class A 230 watts into the Wilson XLFs 4-ohm load), and it was a phenomenal pairing. While we have not had matching preamp/amp in well over 12 years, the CJ-Gryphon pairing was sublime.

However, Robert Koch of Robert Koda has shown himself to be equally talented in preamp design as in amp design.

aangen

Dec 10, 2020
Minnesota
www.weirdenergy.com
At the moment I have Pandora, Legato, Ethos, and Antileon Evo Stereo driving Vivid Spirits. TechDAS Air Force III Premium TT.
I have the Commander, Apex Stereo and it's special stand on order.
No sitting on fences for me. No sir.

When I was young my daddy told me "Son, some day your going to want a 450 pound amplifier. I just hope you have the good sense to get the matching preamp as well." I always listen to Dad.

20220222_045103.jpg
Pre-Ethos photo. I had the Kalliope DAC when I took this. I have had the Ethos for a week now. MMmmmmmm!

The cage is to protect my cables from my cable eating Bunny. It's her room.

Last edited:

aangen

Dec 10, 2020
Minnesota
www.weirdenergy.com

John T

Feb 15, 2022
That's Too Funny Bunny!! I think "dear old Dad is raising you right and giving good advice". Any potential time frame with the arrival?

Reactions: Pokey77 and aangen

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing