Gryphon Apex Stereo or Mephisto Solos

John T

Feb 15, 2022
What I have gathered is constant ground resistance is what you are attempting to achieve. Not so much the number. Sure if you can get 5ohms or less that would be great, however with most substrates not possible. This is why enhancement material is used to obtain consistency. Weather, temp., a host of factors influence ground resistance. Who in there right mind devours everything they could find on Grounding? An Audiophile with OCD!!

John T

Feb 15, 2022
This made me laugh out loud! That's the scary part...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
This made me laugh out loud! That's the scary part...
I recall we used the Mephisto's gounding point with the Tripoint...presume Apex also has one?

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Good results with the Tripoint?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes, although we have moved on to a trial with Entreq (Tripoint remains on 4-box Zanden and Torus...but the Entreq on Robert Koda, signal and sub is proving intriguing...more to come...

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Thanks Lloyd, I've looked at both Torus WM 100 Bal and Equi-tech, quite frankly I'm overwhelmed! I'm attempting to isolate main power supply and then tweak later.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Lloyd, I've looked at both Torus WM 100 Bal and Equi-tech, quite frankly I'm overwhelmed! I'm attempting to isolate main power supply and then tweak later.
I honestly cannot speak to Torus vs Equi-tech....my sense is both are awesome at what they do. Could hardly think you would go wrong with either...more about which model of either you choose.

Reactions: John T

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I honestly cannot speak to Torus vs Equi-tech....my sense is both are awesome at what they do. Could hardly think you would go wrong with either...more about which model of either you choose.

Very different units. The Equi-tech is a balanced output mains, the Torus output is not balanced - they dislike the idea - and includes a very well thought unique filtering system that cancels noise and distortion in shunt mode, not in series as the usual filters.

I have no experience with the Equi-tech and the choice surely depends on gear, but unless a system is very complex and includes many components I personal lean towards the Torus.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Thank You for the input, I'm also leaning towards Torus.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
One other thing the Torus is balanced in. I spoke with them last week and that is how it was explained. I'm waiting to to find out if the county will allow a 2nd meter.

nunobrazuna

Oct 23, 2019
I only compared Mephisto with my Antileon, and in my room with my speakers I like the Antileon more. Mephisto more transparent but a thinner sound. Antileon warmer and fuller...a better match for my Tidal speakers.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I only compared Mephisto with my Antileon, and in my room with my speakers I like the Antileon more. Mephisto more transparent but a thinner sound. Antileon warmer and fuller...a better match for my Tidal speakers.

I never compared those two, but in general audiophiles assume the later or higher priced model is better. Sometimes, especially for brands that have been around a long time, it is not so straightforward. Some models and some years have been better for certain brands and some years could have produced less good sounding, or at least different character products. Some times due to becoming more cost efficient/higher margin, some times due to change in designers. So it makes more sense even in a line to check for different models. It is always good if you preferred the lower priced one.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats...I have heard excellent things about the 'new' Antileon. I have only heard/owned the original. I know a few people who also preferred the new Antileon for its recreation of the event.

nunobrazuna

Oct 23, 2019
Probably the Mephisto is more neutral, but I was a tube guy, and when I decided to go to a SS Amp, I made a criterious research and ended with the Antileon...is like a 300B amp on steroids....fantastic IMO.

Reactions: Down Under

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

What is the year of manufacture of our Antileon? As far as I know they are now in the third version.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I think when Gryphon moved to the Colosseum, it illuminated the treble in a way I really liked from the earlier Antileon. It was a treble in keeping with the Gryphon house sound. Then came the Mephisto which was a further advancement in that same direction. However, I also had heard many still have love for the original Antileon...but now with those advancements, I suspect they have managed to create an Antileon sound that could present the detail and luminesence of treble but in a more '300B way' as you describe. That is fantastic and pretty much I suspect exactly what they were aiming for at Gryphon. i wonder where the Apex sits in voicing.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Fantastic...that would be Antileon Evo...again, heard great things about it. 670,000 microfarads of capacitance I recall...more than the Mephisto.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing