KR 242, Elrog 300, px4, px25, EML and KR 5u4g, and KR 274b

Thanks for your advice. I installed a few months ago a top notch fuse into the GG and the benefits are indeed clearly noticeble and important. Using two top of the bill silver usb cables coming from the 'same house' as the Tidal pc's I am using in the LA system at the moment. These usb cables are not yet commercially available but are by far the best usb cables I have heard so far. And you are right: different/better quality usb cables matter a lot!

AC, Is worth speaking with the cable maker to see if his cable is unpowered. That simple step alone will give @30% improvement in overall SQ.

You also likely heard it driven by his aries with the latest firmware and my unpowered usb cable - more than one factor at play here

True

You also likely heard it driven by his aries with the latest firmware and my unpowered usb cable - more than one factor at play here

Yes the new Aries FW is creating a buzz. I also agree about the unpowered cable, BUT the Superclocks just by themselves are superb!

AC, Is worth speaking with the cable maker to see if his cable is unpowered. That simple step alone will give @30% improvement in overall SQ.

Many thanks. 30% improvement is huge!! My usb-cable is not unpowered and I talked today to its creator. Do I understand you guys correctly (spoke with Wisnon in the meantime) that an unpowered usb-cable can be used with the GG dac without any changes inside the dac?

Many thanks. 30% improvement is huge!! My usb-cable is not unpowered and I talked today to its creator. Do I understand you guys correctly (spoke with Wisnon in the meantime) that an unpowered usb-cable can be used with the GG dac without any changes inside the dac?

Yes what they are saying is, if there is no power from the USB cable it reduces noise to the dac, as the dac handles the power itself.

Bill did say it was very audible

Yes that's right AC, the amanero input card used by Lampizator is self powered and derives its voltage feed from the dac rather than the transport.

Ok. Once again thank you guys for your quick reply. 30%-improvement is almost to good to believe but why not? Your feedback makes it definately worth trying. I will ask if my current usb-cable can be unpowered!

The builder only needs to unsolder / disconnect the power lead and you will hear a significant / night and day / no brainer level of improvement

can you list any 'unpowered' USB cables for sale out there?

I use the Totaldac USB. I assume it is powered?

I use the total dac and Bill used it too, but Bill found Sablon's USB cable better so upgraded, that was the one with power, then he moved to the underpowered. I haven't compared myself but Bill and I have similar ears, mine slightly younger ;)

can you list any 'unpowered' USB cables for sale out there?

I use the Totaldac USB. I assume it is powered?

Powered is the default setting Mike since the presumption is that most dacs need either power or a 'handshake' from the server. Feel free to drop me an email / PM if you want to have a play with my unpowered demo usb cable.

The builder only needs to unsolder / disconnect the power lead and you will hear a significant / night and day / no brainer level of improvement

You make us all powered usb-cable users very curious indeed

Bill, can you please enlighten us with your experiences with the unpowered Sablon Audio usb-cable versus the powered usb-cable?

Last edited:
I use the total dac and Bill used it too, but Bill found Sablon's USB cable better so upgraded, that was the one with power, then he moved to the underpowered. I haven't compared myself but Bill and I have similar ears, mine slightly younger ;)

thank you, I will try it.

hopefully i'll have it when 'you-know-who' visits.;)

Just bought this today for approx $25 and it works flawlessly...Sbooster Vbus2*Isolator

Didnt test with vs without as I am enjoying the music. The Atlantic is a baaaadddd boy!

Heh

Is best to do the job right first time with a properly designed cable. This unpowered model is simpler and cheaper than my normal usb cable, though the website won't likely get updated for a week or so.

Is best to do the job right first time with a properly designed cable. This unpowered model is simpler and cheaper than my normal usb cable, though the website won't likely get updated for a week or so.
No one is dissing your cables Mark. They are all well reviewed.

I must say that the adapter seems promising though...its is version 2 and much better made than V1 and nicely gold contacted with SMT internals. I am using with the Corning loooong cable at the moment.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing