Lampizator announcement: launch of our all new TOTL HORIZON DAC

Ah, the question asked is about the Baltic 3, based on something said in the video about the process leading to the Horizon.
I know exactly what was asked. I know of much of the design journey from almost the inception.....B3 was inspiration, but implementation evolved to the SoTA Horizon which has many evolved designed features outlined in my post above. My 2 cents...Take it for what it is worth.

Reactions: christoph
.I dpnt want to be involved in tot for tat.
See Rons' interviews and get it straight from the horses' mouth. My memory is bad. Pay attention where Ron asked about "trickle down technology."
I took artistic license with the word bastard
If I am wrong I stand corrected.

I am not trying to disrespect anyone but my statement is confirmed beginning at minute 29 of the video.

.I dpnt want to be involved in tot for tat.
See Rons' interviews and get it straight from the horses' mouth. My memory is bad. Pay attention where Ron asked about "trickle down technology."
I took artistic license with the word bastard
If I am wrong I stand corrected.
Just to clarify an interesting point about Baltic3 Versus Horizon.
In fact, the two designs share absolutely zero common parts, their digital engine shares zero parts and zero topology, the tube stage share zero parts and zero topology. The whole schematics doesnt have any parts or ideas in common except the fuse and the XLR sockets. My "bastard" comment was about the ideology, the fundamental principle of testing parts and operating points with new spectrum analyzer connected during nblind listening tests. This is new approach and ideology - test 6 options and choose by ear if analyzer does not protest. First we made Balitic like that and we love it, so we decided 2 years later to give same ideas to Horizon - hence the bastard son joke.

Does the Horizon use JL Sounds USB card, and if so, have the problems with USB cables been resolved?

Does the Horizon use JL Sounds USB card, and if so, have the problems with USB cables been resolved?
We use a new, dual deck "sandwich" JL with ultra precise external reclocking. So technically it is JL but the problem of cable is resolved. (Using simply 4-wire cables will fix old pending problems in older DAC types)

Reactions: Alrainbow

What was/is the problem with USB cables?

An interesting finding - I was exposed for few hours to our next unit before shipping, and I tried the Genalex KT77 pentodes and absolutely loved them. I was almost mesmerized. I can recommend them as my second approved choice.
I have a quad set of those as well. I will give it a try today. I must admit I love the KRKT88's

Lukasz what were the triodes and rectifier you used with the KT77

What was/is the problem with USB cables?

It is difficult to call it USB cables problem related to the DAC only, as it was depending on the USB cables shielding design. Some of them were causing glitching, occasionally. SOme of them not. On top of that the same cables were working with other unit of exactly the same DAC and vice versa, hence it was something really difficult to nail and address, due to its random character.

Just to clarify an interesting point about Baltic3 Versus Horizon.
In fact, the two designs share absolutely zero common parts, their digital engine shares zero parts and zero topology, the tube stage share zero parts and zero topology. The whole schematics doesnt have any parts or ideas in common except the fuse and the XLR sockets. My "bastard" comment was about the ideology, the fundamental principle of testing parts and operating points with new spectrum analyzer connected during nblind listening tests. This is new approach and ideology - test 6 options and choose by ear if analyzer does not protest. First we made Balitic like that and we love it, so we decided 2 years later to give same ideas to Horizon - hence the bastard son joke.
Fair enough. Thanks for the clarification.
As always the speaker is the ultimate arbiter of what they meant. All I know is what you said
As the saying goes,"The chip does not fall far from the tree.

Last edited:
Reactions: highstream
It is difficult to call it USB cables problem related to the DAC only, as it was depending on the USB cables shielding design. Some of them were causing glitching, occasionally. SOme of them not. On top of that the same cables were working with other unit of exactly the same DAC and vice versa, hence it was something really difficult to nail and address, due to its random character.

That's the issue I had with a Sablon USB cable. Some worked fine between my Extreme and Pacific and others did not. I knew it wasn't the cable itself.

An interesting finding - I was exposed for few hours to our next unit before shipping, and I tried the Genalex KT77 pentodes and absolutely loved them. I was almost mesmerized. I can recommend them as my second approved choice.
And as a nice benefit, the Genalex KT77 are really dirt cheap :cool:

Some in-depth clarification of USB cable issues: The JL doesn't need +5V (fourth wire) in the cable almost at all - it is needed for the duration of 0,1 second on startup, during the USB handshake. Then it is not used at all anymore. We initially believed it is OK to use 3 wire cables. Then all our DACs were OK except the Pacific, which had very sophisticated USB connection and that one did not have AT ALL the +5V line installed internally and this gave some trouble. Sometimes it would handshake correctly - sometimes not.
Now we use a fixed +5 pull up resistor permanently installed and all and any cable will work fine, that's a simple fix.

Reactions: heihei
Some in-depth clarification of USB cable issues: The JL doesn't need +5V (fourth wire) in the cable almost at all - it is needed for the duration of 0,1 second on startup, during the USB handshake. Then it is not used at all anymore. We initially believed it is OK to use 3 wire cables. Then all our DACs were OK except the Pacific, which had very sophisticated USB connection and that one did not have AT ALL the +5V line installed internally and this gave some trouble. Sometimes it would handshake correctly - sometimes not.
Now we use a fixed +5 pull up resistor permanently installed and all and any cable will work fine, that's a simple fix.

Is this fix available for all Pacifics? Can it be done by an end-user?

most all usb cable we use to TUNE our systems are not to spec , this is why some or most usb dacs have issues at times . its to me 100% the cable but the dac may be blamed. does anyone use an audio cable while installing software ? if you do good luck .

• Love
Reactions: mr.gregdee
Looking forward to receiving my horizon should be tomorrow . I won't have to much time to spend with it till the weekend.
JJ finally to sattle down

Reactions: wisnon

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu