"Long-Term Equipment Loans: A Win-Win for Everyone" by Robert Harley, The Absolute Sound

TrackingAngle

Industry Expert
Mar 4, 2014
I wish you would review the ones that sounded “wrong” as well. Why hide this?
It's funny because the first one that really sounded "wrong" was the Tony Bennett 'I Left My Heart In San Francisco". I just put it up on the shelf with the original that' sounds "right" and moved on. I gave bad reviews to the Mo-Fi "Love Forever Changes" because it sounded equalized weirdly. Since I never thought they'd do what they did I never thought it was anything but bad EQ choices, which has long been a Mo-Fi issue even back when Stan Ricker was there boosting bass and treble... as I wrote, with the "Truth" album the best I could do was say the original sounded "organic". I wasn't going to make charges of "digital" and get into a fight without having any way of confirmation. And some of them sounded great like the Santana, however it was done. Same with some of the Miles Davis titles. I'm not "anti-digital" in that sense, just anti-deception. In all those years they were doing that I got exactly one email from a reader who thought he was hearing "digital". Most complained about the EQ choices "pushed the loudness button"....

Reactions: Ovenmitt

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com

TrackingAngle

Industry Expert
Mar 4, 2014
Just a punch line now and then ! ;)
yea, I get it........it's better when the punch is based on fact! At least you didn't accuse me of being part of the "long term loan" thing. It happens at all of the magazines. I just don't do it other than with cables....

Reactions: bonzo75 and Lagonda

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Michael

if you want to defend you can read my post about John Atkinson Review of TAD CR1 and prove us that Review is useful.

you and most audio reviewers only descibe sound by some words like "good bass" , "good soundstage" and ... these type of audio reviewing is useless

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Michael

if you want to defend you can read my post about John Atkinson Review of TAD CR1 and prove us that Review is useful.

you and most audio reviewers only descibe sound by some words like "good bass" , "good soundstage" and ... these type of audio reviewing is useless
In Michael's defense, he writes some of the best reviews out there, often comparing with equipment he has heard earlier. Not just "good bass" "good soundstage". :) Always well written and entertaining ! I do not always agree with his assessment !;)

TrackingAngle

Industry Expert
Mar 4, 2014
Michael

I don't judge a reviewer's worth based on one review, nor do I write as mundanely as do you. I don't write "good soundstage" or "good bass". You do. I won't judge you based on your ridiculous post here. I'll be an optimist. Perhaps you are better than this.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
He is not like most audio reviewers as he is the only one I follow in the major ones. There are some lesser known reviewers who can write the odd excellent review.

in his case you can actually relate attribute to attribute what he hears when you experience the gear, whether you like it or not, which shows that he is honestly describing what he is hearing. Examples across the years are his reviews of brinkmann balance, Allaerts Vs Lyra, the review of the lambda where he mentions it is like a tube got inserted into the atlas, and credit that he is the only major reviewer who compared the KL audio to the audio desk and did not shift. All production issues aside, audio desk actually cleans sound great. I could go on. I can never make sense of what some of the other big names write even when I agree on their conclusion of the product…many seem to be filling in prose. He was also right about the Allnic phono with the stock recti, though he should have swapped that recti, which he didn’t do. And he was right about the negatives of the Monaco TT.

two issues: his tonearms, SAT and the current Schroeder, are not owned by many, so he needs different types of tonearms to account for arm cart compatibility and reference. If he can’t afford them he should get them on long term loan :). That will make more sense to many readers.

and he should get an additional system, a valve based system, similar to the late Art Dudley, as it will give him a better perspective on originals Vs reissues compared to his current Dart based one.

Last edited:

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Folks, let’s refrain from personal attacks and try to keep this civil. If the personal tit-for-tats continue will we have to shut down the thread or remove posts, neither of which we would like to do.
Thank you for your comment

please do not shutdown this topic. I think here is peaceful and me and Michael could be good friends. I hope Michael will find my comments non-harmful. We will continue this topic .

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
He is not like most audio reviewers as he is the only one I follow in the major ones. There are some lesser known reviewers who can write the odd excellent review.

in his case you can actually relate attribute to attribute what he hears when you experience the gear, whether you like it or not, which shows that he is honestly describing what he is hearing. Examples across the years are his reviews of brinkmann balance, Allaerts Vs Lyra, the review of the lambda where he mentions it is like a tube got inserted into the atlas, and credit that he is the only major reviewer who compared the KL audio to the audio desk and did not shift. All production issues aside, audio desk actually cleans sound great. I could go on. I can never make sense of what some of the other big names write even when I agree on their conclusion of the product…many seem to be filling in prose. He was also right about the Allnic phono with the stock recti, though he should have swapped that recti, which he didn’t do.

two issues: his tonearms, SAT and the current Schroeder, are not owned by many, so he needs different types of tonearms to account for arm cart compatibility and reference. If he can’t afford them he should get them on long term loan :). That will make more sense to many readers.

and he should get an additional system, a valve based system, similar to the late Art Dudley, as it will give him a better perspective on originals Vs reissues compared to his current Dart based one.

I will write about one of Michael Reviews (TAD C600) and also I will post a new topic about "how to write a good review"

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I am currently very happy to see his Kuzma Safir 9 review coming. If he relates his Schroeder and SAT to the more popular Kuzma 4point Design, I will get a better base to understand MF findings In future reviews, Starting with the new Top Model cart from Audio Technica

Reactions: bonzo75

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Reactions: Scott Naylor

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
It's funny because the first one that really sounded "wrong" was the Tony Bennett 'I Left My Heart In San Francisco". I just put it up on the shelf with the original that' sounds "right" and moved on. I gave bad reviews to the Mo-Fi "Love Forever Changes" because it sounded equalized weirdly. Since I never thought they'd do what they did I never thought it was anything but bad EQ choices, which has long been a Mo-Fi issue even back when Stan Ricker was there boosting bass and treble... as I wrote, with the "Truth" album the best I could do was say the original sounded "organic". I wasn't going to make charges of "digital" and get into a fight without having any way of confirmation. And some of them sounded great like the Santana, however it was done. Same with some of the Miles Davis titles. I'm not "anti-digital" in that sense, just anti-deception. In all those years they were doing that I got exactly one email from a reader who thought he was hearing "digital". Most complained about the EQ choices "pushed the loudness button"....

I’d like to hear about the good, the bad, and the ugly. I, and I’m sure others, would like to have known if Tony Bennet didn’t sound “right.” The Ugly according to my definitions.

After what MoFi did their vinyl is of no concern of mine anymore. I’d purchased a few of them early on and gave them away, I’ll stick with mostly Tone Poets now, and even have to watch for some digital there as well. I have enough music now. So, I will only spend my money on none digital records - the Good.

Yes Mike’s email to you on the digital one steps is someplace here online. If I recall that was in 2019.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I will write about one of Michael Reviews (TAD C600) and also I will post a new topic about "how to write a good review"

This thread is about the long term loans of components.

I would greatly appreciate it if you ceased derailing this thread with your opinions on reviews, and started a new thread on that topic if you wish.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I’d like to hear about the good, the bad, and the ugly. I, and I’m sure others, would like to have known if Tony Bennet didn’t sound “right.” The Ugly according to my definitions.

After what MoFi did their vinyl is of no concern of mine anymore. I’d purchased a few of them early on and gave them away, I’ll stick with mostly Tone Poets now, and even have to watch for some digital there as well. I have enough music now. So, I will only spend my money on none digital records - the Good.

Yes Mike’s email to you on the digital one steps is someplace here online. If I recall that was in 2019.

WBF has a voluminous thread on Mobile Fidelity re-issues -- another topic not germane to this thread.

Please kindly take the discussion about Mobile Fidelity re-issues over there.

Thank you.

Reactions: Lee and Audire

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Yeah I got nice grocery bags and good coffee from Genesis and a nice pen from VAC. That's why I gave them best in show

Reactions: Kingrex and cjfrbw

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
But non of this has anything to do with Long Term Loans. To that point I am coming around to the opinion I don't really care how they got it or how long they have had it. I agree their is a threshold of quality a reviewer has to have to do their job. I bought my Dartzeel for this reason. I needed a known SS amp that can resolve details to a level I need to do my work. I would have a hard time grain orienting wire or listening to a copper vs aluminum ground bar if all I had was my old Rogue Audio Tempest. Reviewers need good cable, sources, speakers, amps etc to do there jobs.

Agreed.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing