Magico M9

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Perhaps we should spend a few minutes doing a proper search job before joking:

Stunning #WAMM Master Chronosonic system put together by iconic systems for their client.
@dagostino_amps Relentless amplifiers, @TransparentInc Magnum Opus cables, Harmonic Resolution Systems Inc. racks, MSB Technology Corporation Select DAC, and Aurender music server

Err the point was the glass and the marble floor not the fact that the same vendor made even more money by selling them silly priced cables and racks. Imho ymmv.

Reactions: geodiak

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Well it seems the owners like stone floors. Another “tasteful” and highly optimised setup lol View attachment 66256

Looks like a Wilson marketing photo, where I never see speaker cables. Maybe they drill a hole in the floor? Speakers can look pretty great when you omit the realities that can impact the WAF.

Didn’t someone above say “then he un-gets them!” :p

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Well it seems the owners like stone floors. Another “tasteful” and highly optimised setup lol View attachment 66256

Again, do a proper search before joking ... Besides WAMMs I think I see our member Bill Peugh in Phillipe Demarret enormous and fantastic sounding room, he will be able to tell us how it sounded.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Looks like a Wilson marketing photo, where I never see speaker cables. Maybe they drill a hole in the floor? Speakers can look pretty great when you omit the realities that can impact the WAF.

I am being mean now but I wouldn’t be surprised if this demographic asked whether they do a WiFi dongle version of the WAMM lol

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Again, do a proper search before joking ... Besides WAMMs I think I see our member Bill Peugh in Phillipe Demarret enormous and fantastic sounding room, he will be able to tell us how it sounded.

It is okay. No need for more propaganda. Let’s let other members make their own minds up on the demographic.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Yes, several drills in the floor, like one more WBF Wilson Audio owner I envy on this aspect ;) , as I hate seeing cables. Besides the cables were not Transparent Audio, other brands are also used by WAMM onwers.

Reactions: Bobvin

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Attachments

• A5F06B02-F3BD-4C48-B3A3-10633CB2CB64.jpeg
    A5F06B02-F3BD-4C48-B3A3-10633CB2CB64.jpeg
    22.3 KB · Views: 77

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Look at that collection of telephoto lens collection on the right. Very cool.

OTOH if he/she/they actually used those lenses they would be scratched and have camo lens covers on them.

it's a trophy house with trophy toys. nothing wrong with that, just a different part of both hobbies than i participate in. i had a trophy car myself, loved looking at it, but sold it since i rarely used it.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
OTOH if he/she/they actually used those lenses they would be scratched and have camo lens covers on them.

it's a trophy house with trophy toys. nothing wrong with that, just a different part of both hobbies than i participate in. i had a trophy car myself, loved looking at it, but sold it since i rarely used it.
More like an advertising shot than an actual living space.
david

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
This is an incredible post, IMO, placed in a thread about a specific company, successful by any measure, that has just announced a new cost no object flagship design. Rather than celebrating the possibilities of technological advances or anything else positive, we get this. Why come here and post such a thing? Do vinyl guys ever go onto a Lampizator thread and write something so insulting about the entire brand?

This is the kind of stuff that turns what I once thought was a hobby for convivial fellowship and the helpful sharing of experiences into something I find quite distasteful. People are becoming increasingly disenchanted with the high end. And for me, this is one of the reasons.

+100
Just eye bowling it, I would say that bonzo75 has more posts on this thread than anyone else.
None are empirical in nature, in fact, the only time he addresses the product specs, he mistook the midrange sensitivity to 120db (!!), which would have been a revelatory achievement for sure (I don’t think that is physically possible), still, he finds flaws in that imaginary miracle as well. It seems like the better speaker it is (empirically), the more hate it gets. Not a fun place for a Magico fan, for sure.

Reactions: asiufy

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
+100
Just eye bowling it, I would say that bonzo75 has more posts on this thread than anyone else.
None are empirical in nature

No. And they were to stop people commenting on sonics which were not empirical in nature.

Reactions: gian60

Duke LeJeune

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Jul 22, 2013
Princeton, Texas
It takes much greater skill and ingenuity to create innovation at a specific price point than cost no object.

Add Elac B5 to that list.
I went from one room w the KEF Muon...epic fail...to the Elac room. And after 30 mins of mesmerising music and in depth chat with the designer of the B5, the room broke into spontaneous applause.

Yup, Andrew Jones is the first person who came to mind when I read Jeffrey's post.

BUT note that he has experience designing uberspeakers for Pioneer's TAD division, and what he learned there (and perhaps previously at KEF) may well have "trickled down".

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
You mean like this highly tuned setup in a room surrounded by glass with marble floor and laptop transport lol.
View attachment 66255

Is that Peter McGrath's head in the bottom left corner? He must be doing the setup. Might explain the laptop and cable. While probably not going to the the "best" sound, I'm sure McGrath will get the most out of the speakers considering the limitations.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
This is an interesting musing and brings up a largely undiscussed issue. We all know what brands thrill audiophiles, but isn't the more relevant question, what speaker brands thrill the mastering and recording engineers? How many of the major uber engineers use Wilson's, Magico's or other SOA speaker contenders? The great Steve Hoffmann uses vintage '68 Tannoys! (https://www.psaudio.com/article/steve-hoffman-mastering-legend-and-audio-restoration-magician/). We all know that Bob Ludwig uses Eggleston Ivy's, which never received audiophile accolades (not necessarily a bad thing!). George Massenburg looks like he uses ATC monitors but I may be wrong. But wouldn't you think there would be a pair of Magicos, WAMM, XVX, or even a lowly pair of Alexx in some LA, NY or Nashville studio somewhere?? Hmmm......
Horse and course ..!

Loudspeakers are tools for engineers not for emotion like audiophiles . The recording engineer uses the tool that allows him to do his trade , nothing to do with perceived sound quality and emotion like when selecting your favorite speakers..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing