Magico M9

When I heard the WAMM they had the subwoofers, I listened with and without.

Is it your contention the WAMM are an incomplete design?
It is not. However, what commonly dictates the scale and often cost of speakers is based on bass driver qty / size. Companies scale up products with bigger woofers and as such, the M9s have considerably larger volume woofers so speaker to speaker (sans subs) it's not really a fair comparison.

Last edited:
I don't think the WAMMs were ever demoed without the subs
Further justifies my earlier comment WRT M9s vs. Wilson compares.

I'm all for you monetizing your hobby and personally think it's more honest than many "reviewers" who review products to get them free or at a sizable discount

Ooooo - scare quotes around "reviewers". Why are you suggesting dishonesty Jeffrey?

Reviewers can buy on accomodation just as any member of the audio industry can. It's not a secret. Reviewers don't review products to get them free or at a discount - they can purchase from any manufacturer who offers accomodation. No one gets free. I see it as part of compensation and incentive to do the work - apart from columnists, reviewers get almost nothing for a review. An entertaining and well researched review can easily take hundreds of hours across two to six months. Reviewers do get something because the publisher wants to own the review product. And they get the opportunity to purchase at a discount, using their own money.

Reactions: jeff1225 and Bobvin
Ooooo - scare quotes around "reviewers". Why are you suggesting dishonesty Jeffrey?

Reviewers can buy on accomodation just as any member of the audio industry can. It's not a secret. Reviewers don't review products to get them free or at a discount - they can purchase from any manufacturer who offers accomodation. No one gets free. I see it as part of compensation and incentive to do the work - apart from columnists, reviewers get almost nothing for a review. An entertaining and well researched review can easily take hundreds of hours across two to six months. Reviewers do get something because the publisher wants to own the review product. And they get the opportunity to purchase at a discount, using their own money.

Sorry this makes it sound like this is extremely difficult 2 to 6 months period where life is put on hold. Reviewers are as gear crazy as anyone in the hobby and they love to have equipment over and need to provide incentive to manufacturers and distributors/dealers to keep sending them equipment. Imagine if they pissed someone off and the equipment stopped coming. The withdrawal symptoms, omg! All reviewers have their suppliers for equipment. The last thing a reviewer wants is for a potential supplier to be worried about sending him equipment (which is possible if the reviewer gets too blunt and fair)

Are you criticizing my speculation that a majority of people would prefer one of the Alsyvox or the Bayz or the Diesis over the Alexia?

Yeah, that comment caught my eye and I didn't care for it either Ron. I speculate that a lot of people will like a product costing twice or quadruple as much as the product they have - no great insight there. I don't think you gave us any information in sharing your opinion and unless it was thoughtless gabble you caused me to wonder why you made it.

It's not about the Alexia. I own version 2 and think it's a decent American made speaker that has clear limitations.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Williams
Sorry this makes it sound like this is extremely difficult 2 to 6 months period where life is put on hold. Reviewers are as gear crazy as anyone in the hobby and they love to have equipment over and need to provide incentive to manufacturers and distributors/dealers to keep sending them equipment. Imagine if they pissed someone off and the equipment stopped coming. The withdrawal symptoms, omg! All reviewers have their suppliers for equipment. The last thing a reviewer wants is for a potential supplier to be worried about sending him equipment (which is possible if the reviewer gets too blunt and fair)

You babble about what you do not know.

Reactions: Klonk
We should not get too upset with reviewers. I don't think I have ever let a review decide my choice of equipment. My dealer does that and he is 100% impartial. It is mere coincidence that the best stuff happens to be not only limited to the brands he carries (at that point in time) but the models he also has in stock. Life is not a mystery.

There were instances of, ahem, “long term loans” that were effectively tantamount to free...

We should not get too upset with reviewers. I don't think I have ever let a review decide my choice of equipment. My dealer does that and he is 100% impartial. It is mere coincidence that the best stuff happens to be not only limited to the brands he carries (at that point in time) but the models he also has in stock. Life is not a mystery.
You happen to have found a dealer who is copacetic with your preferences but this doesn’t mean he is impartial...far from it...

There were instances of, ahem, “long term loans” that were effectively tantamount to free...

There can be. My experience is that comes mostly from the manufacturer who says 'keep it for a while'. I can only speak for myself and say I never asked to keep review items.

He's not reviewing products in that forum post. He's talking about Stereophile Lists.

Don't confuse reviewers with publishers.

I am referring to his "It's not rocket science - you look at a lot of stuff they review and it comes from the same importer - Art Dudley reviews a steady diet of Tone Imports and so does Jack Roberts formerly on our staff - driving distance to the importer/dealer. Nothing wrong with that in itself because it's easier to just pick up the phone and say - hey send me a Shindo, send me a DeVore, send me a Leben, Send me a Sugden. You have an importer/dealer happy to send stuff. But then your decision making process isn't really originating from YOU the reviewer now is it? No - it is originating from what a DEALER - a SALESMAN happens to carry."

There can be. My experience is that comes mostly from the manufacturer who says 'keep it for a while'. I can only speak for myself and say I never asked to keep review items.
I never did either...bought a few things at accommodation prices but no long term loaners...

hifi magazines live from the advertising that big companies advertise to you. I think it's nice to read, some authors have a very good writing for exsampe jürgen egger image hifi, germany. I like people who have a little self-deprecation. But the companies that place advertisements always do well in the test. Clearly you don't bite the hand that feeds you.

I am referring to his "It's not rocket science - you look at a lot of stuff they review and it comes from the same importer - Art Dudley reviews a steady diet of Tone Imports and so does Jack Roberts formerly on our staff - driving distance to the importer/dealer. Nothing wrong with that in itself because it's easier to just pick up the phone and say - hey send me a Shindo, send me a DeVore, send me a Leben, Send me a Sugden. You have an importer/dealer happy to send stuff. But then your decision making process isn't really originating from YOU the reviewer now is it? No - it is originating from what a DEALER - a SALESMAN happens to carry."
I always contacted the company first for what I reviewed and then they directed me to their nearest dealer/importer...or they sent the gear direct to me...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing