Magico M9

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Keep in mind the richest billionaire audiophiles are buying western electrics,
So what .
I ll give the the " eastern western electric " room a special (25 min) visit when im in munchen . ;)

PS I dont hope it will be the same western electric stuff as in the dutch show otherwise i wont even make it to 5 min.

But this is a Magico M 9 thread

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So what .
I ll give the the " eastern western electric " room a special (25 min) visit when im in munchen . ;)

PS I dont hope it will be the same western electric stuff as in the dutch show otherwise it wont make it even to 5 min.

But this is a Magico M 9 thread

Sorry I thought I was on the wines thread

Reactions: jeff1225

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
there is a 'p*ssing contest' aspect to most WBF threads, which is understandable, but even among more extreme degrees on the scale of 'p*ssing contest' threads, this one really takes the 'p*issing' cake. :eek:

it's a hoot! no animals were harmed in the making of this thread. lots of pillows landed though.

YMMV:rolleyes:

Reactions: Lagonda and dan31

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Only a few people have ever heard the component under discussion here. After 35 pages is there any wonder that we are talking about food? Perhaps funny furry four-legged friends next.

Precisely. It should have been started and commented on by people who heard it. A speculative thread was going to go this way

HenryD

Aug 29, 2020
Actually, there are few accounts here by people who did hear them (or talked to people who did). Unfortunately, they are ignored, questioned, or dismissed.

Reactions: Audire

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway
Keep in mind the richest billionaire audiophiles are buying western electrics, and use $5 cables. Cheung himself (he owned Hyundai and is now part owner of Samsung) spends a 100k or some obscene amount getting his crew and gear to Munich to expose people to the truth every year and does use expensive electronics and carts. Great recordings. The system almost every year is by far the best and plays great music.

Leif, for example, is a highly committed audiophile. Stromtank, audiophile cables are small things for him. He and his friends have spent ages comparing the best drivers, and use their own low priced cables to produce gorgeous sound including renditions of something as complex as Beethoven's 9th to rock and roll. Looking at Stromtank and Transparent vs first pressing of original LPs and combining the right drivers is a matter of perspective. Those looking at Stromtank and Transparent will probably have never though of the latter.

To me, committment comes in the form of research. I find those who order the first expensive good that shows on some front page or marketed list as non discerning. Does not mean that occasionally they won't get it right. Also does not mean that good stuff is not expensive, Western Electrics and first pressings are the costliest things in hifi. But they require research.
Well, this is highly subjective of course. I have been been to Munich twice, listened a lot to the Western Electric system, but for me it is absolutely not among the best;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Well, this is highly subjective of course. I have been been to Munich twice, listened a lot to the Western Electric system, but for me it is absolutely not among the best;)

Was that 2017 and 18?

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think it was 2018 and 2019.

2017 and 18 were not great, but 2019 (the last Munich) was the best. If you didn't like that, you can ignore my sonic views and I yours

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hard to ignore you. You are everywhere.

Ignore my sonic views. I do that with you. Fine to chat, till you recommend a component or provide a sonic opinion. Very dissimilar tastes, what's the point?

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Ignore my sonic views. I do that with you. Fine to chat, till you recommend a component or provide a sonic opinion. Very dissimilar tastes, what's the point?
I did not count, but I bet you have more posts on the Magico forum then just about anyone, so yes, what is the point?

Reactions: adyc

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Keep in mind the richest billionaire audiophiles are buying western electrics, and use $5 cables. Cheung himself (he owned Hyundai and is now part owner of Samsung) spends a 100k or some obscene amount getting his crew and gear to Munich to expose people to the truth every year and does use expensive electronics and carts. Great recordings. The system almost every year is by far the best and plays great music.

Leif, for example, is a highly committed audiophile. Stromtank, audiophile cables are small things for him. He and his friends have spent ages comparing the best drivers, and use their own low priced cables to produce gorgeous sound including renditions of something as complex as Beethoven's 9th to rock and roll. Looking at Stromtank and Transparent vs first pressing of original LPs and combining the right drivers is a matter of perspective. Those looking at Stromtank and Transparent will probably have never though of the latter.

To me, committment comes in the form of research. I find those who order the first expensive good that shows on some front page or marketed list as non discerning. Does not mean that occasionally they won't get it right. Also does not mean that good stuff is not expensive, Western Electrics and first pressings are the costliest things in hifi. But they require research.
If you are referring to those massive Western Electrics, they also need SPACE. A 1500sf room for those big Western Electrics in London could cost $5 million alone in a very good but not uber luxury neighbohood. Probably not far off $2M-5M in most other major cities.

So yes, I could totally see that level of commitment at that point because (like David and his Bionors), they can afford all the costs (including huge spaces) to fit them. Yes, there are a few who live with the fridge and the bed behind the speaker, but with those few exceptions aside, those big systems require far more than the money to pay for the equipment and room treatment. Its the real estate which is the biggest financial commitment.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Not for me either, not even close, but these horn tyrants, will never except that.

Cannata, I hope you don't consider me a "horn tyrant". I really enjoyed my two Magico speakers: Mini II and Q3. I had them for years and visited the Magico factory, discussed speakers with Alon Wolf at the local dealer, and have heard many different models. I have preferred the top lines with the early wood Mini and M5, then the Q 5/3, the M Pro and the M2/3. Unfortunately, I have not heard the M6. I really like my friend's M Pro.

I do not think the local dealer, Goodwin's High End actually demoed the M Pro and I know they never got the M6 in. They will not get the M9 and certainly not the Ultimate 3. Unfortunately, the larger models can't really be heard at the dealer, at least where I live, and it does not seem they will be at Rhapsody NYC either. These threads are good because they expose us to these large and expensive speakers. The photos in actual listening rooms are always fun to see, and I would love to hear a couple of videos playing a string quartet or larger scale classical.

I now have a completely different system, but I remain very fond of specific Magico models. The company clearly is doing something right and I fully except that the M9 may be an exceptional speaker. In fact, I am eager to hear it. I just don't know if or when I will ever have the opportunity to hear it in order to form an opinion.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Cannata, I hope you don't consider me a "horn tyrant". I really enjoyed my two Magico speakers: Mini II and Q3. I had them for years and visited the Magico factory, discussed speakers with Alon Wolf at the local dealer, and have heard many different models. I have preferred the top lines with the early wood Mini and M5, then the Q 5/3, the M Pro and the M2/3. Unfortunately, I have not heard the M6. I really like my friend's M Pro.

I do not think the local dealer, Goodwin's High End actually demoed the M Pro and I know they never got the M6 in. They will not get the M9 and certainly not the Ultimate 3. Unfortunately, the larger models can't really be heard at the dealer, at least where I live, and it does not seem they will be at Rhapsody NYC either. These threads are good because they expose us to these large and expensive speakers. The photos in actual listening rooms are always fun to see, and I would love to hear a couple of videos playing a string quartet or larger scale classical.

I now have a completely different system, but I remain very fond of specific Magico models. The company clearly is doing something right and I fully except that the M9 may be an exceptional speaker. In fact, I am eager to hear it. I just don't know if or when I will ever have the opportunity to hear it in order to form an opinion.
No Peter, I do not consider you a "horn tyrant." At least not yet ;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) To me, committment comes in the form of research. (...)

IMHO if we research seriously stereo sound reproduction and think too seriously on the high-end we will get out of the high-end hobby.

The first question is what is our daily objective in the hobby. Listening to few recordings, playing with the system, reading and writing a few post in WBF, having some good social moments with audiophile friends?

IMHO we share subjective experiences, not subjective expertise.

Reactions: hogen

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing