Melco S100 audiophile switch

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
Is it now generally accepted that it is good to have fiber optic somewhere in the line prior to the streamer to isolate and to scrub noise off the the upstream ethernet cable?
I feel that is the consensus opinion. And to add further clarity, I'd suggest fiber optic as the last step in the network chain to prevent any noise transmission.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I feel that is the consensus opinion. And to add further clarity, I'd suggest fiber optic as the last step in the network chain to prevent any noise transmission.
Thank you.

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
I'll be using two Melco fiber optic boxes to isolate. Does anyone know if there is a glass cable made that will work with the Melco? I would like to get rid of the plastic fiber optic cable.
i suppose you mean two S100 and not Melcos ADOT.

S100. I use singelmode tranceivers from Finisar with optic glassfibre. It works very well for me. The singelmode glass fibre optic cable I bought from Phoenix. The transcevers from Mouser. Just be sure it’s a singelmode. People say singelmode is better than multimode…...
Yes, I hear the difference even if I use an ADOT connected to my S100 and not two S100.
Gunnar

Attachments

• 95E59C8E-53EE-44BF-B299-7CD7C16B97CC.jpeg
    95E59C8E-53EE-44BF-B299-7CD7C16B97CC.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: econom

Superdad

Apr 22, 2015
I'll be using two Melco fiber optic boxes to isolate. Does anyone know if there is a glass cable made that will work with the Melco? I would like to get rid of the plastic fiber optic cable.
As far as I am aware, ALL single-mode fiber optic cable is made with glass fibers.

barbz127

Jun 4, 2022
Ive heard from a dealer that the S100 is about to be replaced with a newer model - would anyone know any detail on this? Or if its just a ploy to get me to commit and buy an instock unit.

Thankyou

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
I have not heard anything of a a new S100. Could be so but is a newer S100 really needed? The topmodel S10 was realised 6 month ago. Could it be so that Melco will launch something less expensive than the S100?

If a dealer would tell me a “newer model” is on its way out I would wait and not buy the in stock unit. Or go for something else.

In which part of the world do you live.?

Gunnar

Reactions: barbz127

barbz127

Jun 4, 2022
I have not heard anything of a a new S100. Could be so but is a newer S100 really needed? The topmodel S10 was realised 6 month ago. Could it be so that Melco will launch something less expensive than the S100?

If a dealer would tell me a “newer model” is on its way out I would wait and not buy the in stock unit. Or go for something else.

In which part of the world do you live.?

Gunnar
Australia.

Just weighing up some options to get the most bang for buck on the networking side while only consuming one power point

bimbo83

Oct 24, 2017

barbz127

Jun 4, 2022
There's a bit of talk in this thread and other forums about the s100 with the link faun clock upgrades; has anyone heard the s100 with their capacitor and clock upgrades?

One is a bit more obtainable than the other.

Thankyou

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
There's a bit of talk in this thread and other forums about the s100 with the link faun clock upgrades; has anyone heard the s100 with their capacitor and clock upgrades?

One is a bit more obtainable than the other.

Thankyou
I have it. My wife is not all interested in my hobby. As she says “ it’s your hobby and if we can afford it I am ok with it”. When I switched on the S100 / Pink Faun (a radio channel) she looked at me in a strange way and said. “I hear the difference. A big difference “. Prior I had and still have an EtherRegen with a Farad Super3. A really good switch. But with this version you need two power supplies 5 and 12 volt. So two power cords.

barbz127

Jun 4, 2022
I have it. My wife is not all interested in my hobby. As she says “ it’s your hobby and if we can afford it I am ok with it”. When I switched on the S100 / Pink Faun (a radio channel) she looked at me in a strange way and said. “I hear the difference. A big difference “. Prior I had and still have an EtherRegen with a Farad Super3. A really good switch. But with this version you need two power supplies 5 and 12 volt. So two power cords.
Thank you.

My understanding is that s100 needs to be purchased separately and sent in for the modification is this correct?

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
Thank you.

My understanding is that s100 needs to be purchased separately and sent in for the modification is this correct?
Not correct. I bought everything from Pink Faun including the two Super3. Pink Faun sourced the S100 directly from the BeNeLux Melco importer and the two Super3 directly from Farad. So one invoice and one delivery. Two years guarantee.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
I have a S-100 with the Pink Faun OCXO. My server is a Taiko Extreme and since Taiko is working on a switch to pair with their Extreme, chances are when it's on the market I'll sell my S-100.

kostas6a3

Mar 24, 2021
Maroussi Greece
Has anyone compared ADOT with this Sonore opticalModule Deluxe?
They seem to be doing the same thing.

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
No, but I am really interested in the answer

XCop5089

Sep 5, 2015
Winchester, UK
I have had ADOT with Plixir Elite Balanced LPSU on extended home evaluation for the past couple of months.

It takes an ethernet feed (Sablon 1m) from a TP-Link AC2800 router (12v LPSU-powered). The supplied 1.5m fibre optic cable from the ADOT feeds into the SFP in the Uptone Audio EtherREGEN, then the 'B' side carries another 1m Sablon Audio ethernet cable into my dCS Vivaldi Upsampler/DAC. The EtherREGEN is "reclocked" from a 75Ohm output on my Mutec Ref 10 SE-120 reference clock and powered from a 12v Coherent Systems QP1 LPSU.

Yesterday, I learned that there was UK stock of the new Sonore Optical Module Deluxe, so I have ordered one, together with an order from Mouser.co.uk of the After Dark-recommended Finisar 508-FCBG110SD1C01 1m fibre optic assembly (the FO cable is integral to the Finisar SFP's on each end.

When they arrive, I will carry out some comparisons, firstly, with the Sonore Optical Module as a direct replacement for the ADOT media converter and then with the Finisar cable and SFP's placed in circuit.

Reactions: Gunnar

kostas6a3

Mar 24, 2021
Maroussi Greece
I have had ADOT with Plixir Elite Balanced LPSU on extended home evaluation for the past couple of months.

It takes an ethernet feed (Sablon 1m) from a TP-Link AC2800 router (12v LPSU-powered). The supplied 1.5m fibre optic cable from the ADOT feeds into the SFP in the Uptone Audio EtherREGEN, then the 'B' side carries another 1m Sablon Audio ethernet cable into my dCS Vivaldi Upsampler/DAC. The EtherREGEN is "reclocked" from a 75Ohm output on my Mutec Ref 10 SE-120 reference clock and powered from a 12v Coherent Systems QP1 LPSU.

Yesterday, I learned that there was UK stock of the new Sonore Optical Module Deluxe, so I have ordered one, together with an order from Mouser.co.uk of the After Dark-recommended Finisar 508-FCBG110SD1C01 1m fibre optic assembly (the FO cable is integral to the Finisar SFP's on each end.

When they arrive, I will carry out some comparisons, firstly, with the Sonore Optical Module as a direct replacement for the ADOT media converter and then with the Finisar cable and SFP's placed in circuit.
I will await your findings.
I, until now, achieve galvanic isolation as an example: Router>CAT 6>Melco S100>Finisar 1475 BTL with Phoenix Contact>EtherREGEN.
The NAS connects directly to the Melco S100 with a 10 m CAT 7 cable (no name). In tests I did I describe the results here: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/fiber-vs-ethernet-sonic-differences.35196/page-2#post-830009 (post 27).
The question is, is such an investment worth it for NAS?

abase21

Jul 19, 2022
I ordered the PinkFaun update, to be honest if you take a closer look to the images it looks not professional. My first impression: is it better - yes ..

Is it worth the money definitely not. In my chain the gain is to small (2000 Euro Pink Faun incl. Tax, 600 Euro the 5v linear power supply, power cords Dc and AC 500 Euro)
_A7_1959-Edit-2.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing