Melco S100 audiophile switch

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
The S100 is also available from Dedicated Audio in AZ (I bought my S100 from them and my N10 from Underwood)

Reactions: skids929

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
Have any Melco S-100 users here tried fiber optic IN to one SFP port and fiber OUT from the other SFP port? I was told by Melco this should work, but I haven't been able to make both SFP connections work at the same time.
Yes. I'm doing this on to an OpticalRendu. None of the ethernet ports are in use.

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
I am considering doing the Pinkfaun clock upgrade on my sotm switch. Could someone please let me know how much was the full cost parts and labour included ?

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
Here's what I paid, but this was almost a year ago, like everything else, the cost may have increased. Shoot an email to Jord at pinkfaun dot com and he'll walk you through it.

The price for the modification was €1.600 ex VAT. This includes:
- testing the switch on arrival/before modification.
- all parts and labor. (Ultra-clock board, wiring, vibration dampers etc.)
- modify the switch, this included the replacement of the standard clock, replace all internal wiring, remove all internal connectors and solder all wires
- extensive testing of the switch before and after modification (test the switch for at least one day in our system after mod is complete on technical issues and sound quality performance)
- shipping back the switch.
- insurance that if anything happens with the switch during replacing the clock, we replace the switch by an original new switch from the distributor in The Netherlands.

Also be aware that as a part of the mod, the OCXO clock they install requires a dedicated 5v/1A power supply to operate. This 5v power supply is not included in the upgrade. I was already using a Farad Super3 to power the stock switch and had PF add a Super3 to my order.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
I did exactly same !
Jord was very kind and helpful.
Paid same price also for my 4 pinkfaun ultra upgreates.
I did that clock upgrate for 2 swiches, router and modem .

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Here's what I paid, but this was almost a year ago, like everything else, the cost may have increased. Shoot an email to Jord at pinkfaun dot com and he'll walk you through it.

The price for the modification was €1.600 ex VAT. This includes:
- testing the switch on arrival/before modification.
- all parts and labor. (Ultra-clock board, wiring, vibration dampers etc.)
- modify the switch, this included the replacement of the standard clock, replace all internal wiring, remove all internal connectors and solder all wires
- extensive testing of the switch before and after modification (test the switch for at least one day in our system after mod is complete on technical issues and sound quality performance)
- shipping back the switch.
- insurance that if anything happens with the switch during replacing the clock, we replace the switch by an original new switch from the distributor in The Netherlands.

Also be aware that as a part of the mod, the OCXO clock they install requires a dedicated 5v/1A power supply to operate. This 5v power supply is not included in the upgrade. I was already using a Farad Super3 to power the stock switch and had PF add a Super3 to my order.

Yikes thats almost as expensive as an M12 gold switch. Oh well, I guess it's to be expected for something that is custom. I really hate that I can't try these items before I commit, I think that is my biggest issues right now after buying the English Electric switch and it did absolutely nothing. Decisions decisions.

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
I am still running Melco 100 twin brother Buffalo 2016 that we moded PinkFaun Ultra clock.
It was amazing to enter first one into my system And a second just after that.
Actually I have 2 Buffalo 2016 with PinkFaun ultra clocks chained and additional to it
I have 2 normal Buffalo 2016 switches as a isolating bridges powered with Lifepo4 battery.
First between the router and Wifi access point and second between the modem and router.
It is amazing what this combination can do .
Even top class server soch as Taiko Extreme benefits a lot from Buffalo / Melco.
who modified your Buffalo Switches with the PF Clocks for you?

skids929

Dec 31, 2020

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
Yikes thats almost as expensive as an M12 gold switch. Oh well, I guess it's to be expected for something that is custom. I really hate that I can't try these items before I commit, I think that is my biggest issues right now after buying the English Electric switch and it did absolutely nothing. Decisions decisions.
Not sure where you are located, but if you are in the states, you may want to try either Dedicated Audio or Underwood HiFi and see if you can score a stock version first. I don't know about either company's return policy, but if they allow 30 day returns, you could try it at home. Even with the stock power supply, the improvement in sound quality with the S100 is quite noticeable. and, if you happen to have a power supply sitting around that can work with it, you can see how well it scales just with a better power supply. In fact, you may be satisfied stopping there. For a while, anyway!

Reactions: skids929

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
The Giesemann OCXO is quite different design from Pink Faun Ultra. This version can power two Buffalo motherboard with one OCXO clock. The net saving of using one OCXO instead of two is huge when compared.

Some more product details as below:
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...ocxo-black-modernize-edition/#comment-1159737
Saving is not good in this case.
You connect 2 separate circuits here. That is not optimal.
Noise can get for one to the other.
Why do we have 2 monoblocks than stereo amps ? To isolate one from the other. Why we have separate channels in DACs ? To have a better sound.
It is very impressive clock with little better noise . Thats the fact.
Unfortunately the designers keep it FAR from the actual connection point and they will need to run about 15 to 20 cm clock cable.
Doing it it will Destroy the very low noise floor.
I hope they will correct thay in their next version.
PinkFaun ultra in my Buffalo 2016 was installed very close
( 2 cm cable only) to preserve all values.
The closer the clock is the better results are.

Reactions: 7ryder

StreamFidelity

Jun 30, 2020
Rostock, Germany
griggaudio.de
I think the special feature of Afterdark Switch: Buffalo BS-GS2016 SFP+ 10G Cascade x Giesemann OCXO Black Modernize Edition is the clock.

The specification of the "entry-level" clock Grade PRINCE already has slightly better values (Phase Noise -131 dBC at 10Hz) , than the highly regarded Pink Faun Ultra OCXO Clock (Phase Noise -130 dBC at 10Hz).

I have the switch with Grade emperor Giesemann EVA (Phase Noise -145 dBC at 10Hz).

Source: AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX GIESEMANN OCXO 10MHZ TRIFECTA ULTRA EDITION

That makes the difference again. With these extreme values it is important that both Buffalo GS2016 are clocked by the same clock. The cable from the clock on the left is as short as possible.

A galvanic isolation is done by a fiber optic cable when cascading.

Since both switches have the same power source it is important to have a very good linear power supply. I use a Keces P28 with a low ripple noise of <10uV (0,01 mV).

The clock has its own linear power supply and this is the crucial point.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing