Melco S100 audiophile switch

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Well my manual says that the router feed goes to the 100mb bank
Melco has realized their manual failure and have changed the manual.
My S-100 is from a relatively new shipment, the manual shows the following picture:

IMG_5391.jpg

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
I have tested the cable coming from the Router on both 100 and 1000 and clearly prefer 100.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Have any Melco S-100 users here tried fiber optic IN to one SFP port and fiber OUT from the other SFP port? I was told by Melco this should work, but I haven't been able to make both SFP connections work at the same time.

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX
Have any Melco S-100 users here tried fiber optic IN to one SFP port and fiber OUT from the other SFP port? I was told by Melco this should work, but I haven't been able to make both SFP connections work at the same time.

I did not specifically try that when I had the S100 in-house, but looking at the port diagram, the only gotcha seems to be that the bottom SFP shares a port number of 8 with the RJ-45 port 8. So as long as you don't have a device plugged into RJ-45 port 8, it should work.

Of course, what should work, and what does work are often 2 different things.

Reactions: wil

gionaz

May 3, 2018
Rome
hello guys,
today a new gear should arrive, the Melco S100 !!!

Maybe if my sfp+ fiber optic system will work! (the network card on my PC should drop speed requests!)

my current config is

PC: main PC i7 fanless with ROON core

NIC: 10Gtek® per Broadcom BCM57810S Chip 10 GIGABIT Ethernet (NIC/CNA), PCI-Express X8, Dual SFP+ Port

Cable: Netgear AXC7615-10000S optical cable, Termination SFP+ a 10 Gbit, 15 m

Switch: QNAP QSW-1208-8C

internet by Netgear R9000 Nighthawk X10 Smart WiFi Router, Tri-band AD7200 (7.2 Gbps), to Qnap Switch with sfp+ at 10 Gbit.

This is the wired section in optical fiber.

Then from the Qnap Switch with copper cable go to another switch, the AQ-Switch-8

and here again with a traditional copper network cable go to the Streamer dCS Bridge

from Bridge with Aes-Ebu (Nordost Valhalla 2) to Totaldac Twelve SE

finally from Totaldac go to one of the best preamplifiers and power amplifiers in the world the Dissanayake Audio products (totally handmade unique pieces only on request)!

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
Melco has realized their manual failure and have changed the manual.
My S-100 is from a relatively new shipment, the manual shows the following picture:

View attachment 75708
Glad they figured this out - my Linn KDSM clearly sounds better being connected this way instead of S100->N10->Linn KDSM

gionaz

May 3, 2018
Rome
Maybe if my sfp+ fiber optic system will work! (the network card on my PC should drop speed requests!)
OK the switch has arrived!!!

first I replaced the Aqvox AQ-Switch-8 with the Melco S100, at the final part, just before the dCS Bridge!

but using the inputs at 100 (1-4) I lose packets, reproduction impossible! I therefore had to connect the dCS Bridge to the outputs at 1000 (ports 5-8)

anyway the increase in sound quality is remarkable! really a lot of stuff!

I tried to replace the 10 Gbit Fiber Qnap Switch with the Melco S100, I had to change the 10Gb to 1Gbit NIC settings, and it worked! I can't say that this configuration is better than the first one, but I lost in speed of course!

now I would like to try an external power supply of those truly at the top, I can ask Dissanayake Audio if he can build me a product of unsurpassed level as is his habit ...

gionaz

May 3, 2018
Rome
but using the inputs at 100 (1-4) I lose packets, reproduction impossible! I therefore had to connect the dCS Bridge to the outputs at 1000 (ports 5-8)
update, two GS2016s arrived from japan (unfortunately still in Japanese language), with the melco S100 I noticed packet loss at 100Mbps full, but configuring the Buffalo ports with the second option (which is in Japanese I can't translate it) now it DOES NOT lose the packages! the sound also seems to have almost a greater body

austinpop

May 23, 2017
Austin, TX
unfortunately still in Japanese language)

My Buffalo also likes to revert to Japanese on the management UI. You can return to English by selecting the first language on the list on the top right of the screen. It looks like this:

Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 10.53.27 AM.png

Reactions: gionaz

tategoi

Dec 25, 2014
Been reading messages on networking here and in Audiophilestyle in the last couple of months, to learn as much as I could before my next plunge into the rabbit hole.

I had first tasted how a quiet network improved the SQ tremendously when I purchased a Melco N1 music library with a filtered lan port to connect to the DAC. When S100 came to my shore last year I grabbed it and never looked back since. The sense of calmness in the music had me staying loyal to it until a couple of months ago when my Melco dealer called me on the availability of ADOT fiber kit.

Before I took the plunge I started to do my research and bought cheap kits from China, such as $5 media converter, $5 multimode transceiver, $2 fiber cable and $60 LPS to try out.

I learned along the way that for a fiber kit to sound good, power supply and transceivers are all keys. So I switched to single mode, starting with Finisar 1321 and 1324 and now 1471. Instead of cheap media converter, I bought Edgerouter as someone had strongly recommended. I also upgraded the fiber to Commscope (I was surprised that fiber cable made a huge difference - bigger soundstage in this case) and got myself Plixir Elite LPS.

Every change yielded a different sound. Whether it can be considered improvement is debatable because each configuration suits different kind of music. But the journey was very enjoyable. It’s a good distraction from the current pandemic situation.

Instead of getting rid of the multimode fiber kits from China, I used them to isolate my main router from the noisy household internet traffic and TV set top box, after turning off the wifi of my main Asus router as recommended by a poster in this thread.

So what’s next? While still having the strong momentum in improving the audio network, I finally decided to fork out many times more of what I had spent previously and took the plunge to order the M12 Gold. This will be the last leg of my journey and as we started to go back to work in office, the upgrade has to stop and listening to music will begin

Thanks for reading and below is my network diagram (M12 Gold is yet to be hooked up as I’m still waiting for the LPS). Any comments will be much appreciated.

86408737-1FBC-40E8-B02D-4AEFC12F5DDB.jpeg Yellow - fiber connection. Black - RJ45.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gunnar

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
Been reading messages on networking here and in Audiophilestyle in the last couple of months, to learn as much as I could before my next plunge into the rabbit hole.

I had first tasted how a quiet network improved the SQ tremendously when I purchased a Melco N1 music library with a filtered lan port to connect to the DAC. When S100 came to my shore last year I grabbed it and never looked back since. The sense of calmness in the music had me staying loyal to it until a couple of months ago when my Melco dealer called me on the availability of ADOT fiber kit.

Before I took the plunge I started to do my research and bought cheap kits from China, such as $5 media converter, $5 multimode transceiver, $2 fiber cable and $60 LPS to try out.

I learned along the way that for a fiber kit to sound good, power supply and transceivers are all keys. So I switched to single mode, starting with Finisar 1321 and 1324 and now 1471. Instead of cheap media converter, I bought Edgerouter as someone had strongly recommended. I also upgraded the fiber to Commscope (I was surprised that fiber cable made a huge difference - bigger soundstage in this case) and got myself Plixir Elite LPS.

Every change yielded a different sound. Whether it can be considered improvement is debatable because each configuration suits different kind of music. But the journey was very enjoyable. It’s a good distraction from the current pandemic situation.

Instead of getting rid of the multimode fiber kits from China, I used them to isolate my main router from the noisy household internet traffic and TV set top box, after turning off the wifi of my main Asus router as recommended by a poster in this thread.

So what’s next? While still having the strong momentum in improving the audio network, I finally decided to fork out many times more of what I had spent previously and took the plunge to order the M12 Gold. This will be the last leg of my journey and as we started to go back to work in office, the upgrade has to stop and listening to music will begin

Thanks for reading and below is my network diagram (M12 Gold is yet to be hooked up as I’m still waiting for the LPS). Any comments will be much appreciated.

View attachment 81163 Yellow - fiber connection. Black - RJ45.
Congrat on the new m12 gold. You will be happy with it pairing with plixir elite LPS.

tategoi

Dec 25, 2014
Thank you. The Nucleus, EdgeRouter and S100 are currently powered by Plixir Elite.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I use the Melco S1 fed by copper ethernet. I currently have my audio server connected in one of the gigabit ports. And I have a computer and iPad connected in the 500 MB be ports.

I wonder if there might be any sonic benefit to connecting the computer and iPad to another switch on a separate fiber ethernet line?

tategoi

Dec 25, 2014
Plixir is hot. Gotta wait 2 weeks for my bespoke power supply for the M12. James (from Plixir) recommended 6A to extract the best sound out of M12.
E1BB45BC-7AF1-4DF2-9C82-716E0AC53539.jpeg

tategoi

Dec 25, 2014
Posted initial impression in the M12 thread.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
I am still running Melco 100 twin brother Buffalo 2016 that we moded PinkFaun Ultra clock.
It was amazing to enter first one into my system And a second just after that.
Actually I have 2 Buffalo 2016 with PinkFaun ultra clocks chained and additional to it
I have 2 normal Buffalo 2016 switches as a isolating bridges powered with Lifepo4 battery.
First between the router and Wifi access point and second between the modem and router.
It is amazing what this combination can do .
Even top class server soch as Taiko Extreme benefits a lot from Buffalo / Melco.

Reactions: skids929

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
I'm using this setup with my Linn KDSM Organik, I was previously using a Shunyata Sigma ethernet cable. The fiber sounds better.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing