Melco S100 audiophile switch

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Very impressive.
But how do you isolate with fibre optic if you have same power to both boards ?
You must have same ground in both. So you need to add a second power supply to get a benefit of galv isolation .
Also boards are connected via construction struts that are a metal pillars. This is adding possible ground loops.

Please change the ethernet cable on the left for something better. You will be amazed how this can sound when twicked properlly With good cable.

What are the prices of those clock grades ?

Reactions: skids929

StreamFidelity

Jun 30, 2020
Rostock, Germany
griggaudio.de
Very impressive.
Thank you very much. The SQ (sound quality) excites me. The localization accuracy has increased significantly. The bass is even more full-bodied and multi-layered. The music flows around me, I can't express it any other way.

So you need to add a second power supply to get a benefit of galv isolation .
Possible. Ultimately, the power comes from the same socket. ;)

Please change the ethernet cable on the left for something better.
The picture shows my test wiring. Connected are these cables from fis Audio. The special feature is the integrated network isolator. The shielding can be additionally switched off/on at both ends.

What are the prices of those clock grades ?

Very expensive. Look at Afterdark.

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
I think the special feature of Afterdark Switch: Buffalo BS-GS2016 SFP+ 10G Cascade x Giesemann OCXO Black Modernize Edition is the clock.

The specification of the "entry-level" clock Grade PRINCE already has slightly better values (Phase Noise -131 dBC at 10Hz) , than the highly regarded Pink Faun Ultra OCXO Clock (Phase Noise -130 dBC at 10Hz).

I have the switch with Grade emperor Giesemann EVA (Phase Noise -145 dBC at 10Hz).

Source: AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX GIESEMANN OCXO 10MHZ TRIFECTA ULTRA EDITION

That makes the difference again. With these extreme values it is important that both Buffalo GS2016 are clocked by the same clock. The cable from the clock on the left is as short as possible.

A galvanic isolation is done by a fiber optic cable when cascading.

Since both switches have the same power source it is important to have a very good linear power supply. I use a Keces P28 with a low ripple noise of <10uV (0,01 mV).

The clock has its own linear power supply and this is the crucial point.
the basic PF clock is a Connor-Winfield clock.(OH200), not sure what the Ultra is.

I ended up buying this, which has Rakon clocks (2) one for the switch mother board and one for the fiber converter which is built in.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 5.04.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 5.04.40 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Reactions: StreamFidelity

StreamFidelity

Jun 30, 2020
Rostock, Germany
griggaudio.de
I ended up buying this, which has Rakon clocks (2) one for the switch mother board and one for the fiber converter which is built in.

I remember the manufacturer from Vietnam: HNE-Labs. No own website but active on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hnelabs/

Here is a review from Taiwan: https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/Audiophile/M.1627311088.A.8BD.html

Besides the Buffalo GS2016 there is a Startech Fiber Media Converter ET91000SFP2. If I understand it correctly, Buffalo GS2016 becomes a Melco S100 via firmware.

The power supply is inspired by Sean Jacobs DC4. Overall, it makes a very high-quality impression. I rate the build quality better than Afterdark. My congratulations for this switch! :)

Too bad that two clocks are used. The clocks can still be so accurate, they will differ slightly. That's why there is something like Mutec REF10 with many outputs but only one clock.

Which of the Rakon Clocks are used?
https://www.rakon.com/products/ocxo-ocso/high-end-telecom-discrete-ocxo

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
I remember the manufacturer from Vietnam: HNE-Labs. No own website but active on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hnelabs/

Here is a review from Taiwan: https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/Audiophile/M.1627311088.A.8BD.html

Besides the Buffalo GS2016 there is a Startech Fiber Media Converter ET91000SFP2. If I understand it correctly, Buffalo GS2016 becomes a Melco S100 via firmware.

The power supply is inspired by Sean Jacobs DC4. Overall, it makes a very high-quality impression. I rate the build quality better than Afterdark. My congratulations for this switch! :)

Too bad that two clocks are used. The clocks can still be so accurate, they will differ slightly. That's why there is something like Mutec REF10 with many outputs but only one clock.

Which of the Rakon Clocks are used?
https://www.rakon.com/products/ocxo-ocso/high-end-telecom-discrete-ocxo

I believe he is using the rox2522s4. Which phase measures in the mid 130s-140. And transformer will be Toroidy. I agree it's a nicely built unit.

Last edited:
Reactions: StreamFidelity

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Here's an update..Should be shipping soon. Here's some close up shots of the Unit. It will have a Toriody PS in it, the Talema was used for testing.

The separate chassis power supply alone is worth the cost. If it get an audible difference I will be ordering another for sure and layering them with Fiber. Fiber converters are built in and clocked as well, Buffalo switch next to converter.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 10.23.55 PM.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 10.23.55 PM.jpeg
    258.5 KB · Views: 122
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 10.25.21 PM.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 10.25.21 PM.jpeg
    343.2 KB · Views: 112
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 10.25.32 PM.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 10.25.32 PM.jpeg
    256.6 KB · Views: 116
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 10.26.49 PM.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 10.26.49 PM.jpeg
    430 KB · Views: 119
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 10.27.11 PM.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 10.27.11 PM.jpeg
    353.2 KB · Views: 123

onsionsi

Nov 27, 2019
Here's an update..Should be shipping soon. Here's some close up shots of the Unit. It will have a Toriody PS in it, the Talema was used for testing.

The separate chassis power supply alone is worth the cost. If it get an audible difference I will be ordering another for sure and layering them with Fiber. Fiber converters are built in and clocked as well, Buffalo switch next to converter.
Congratulations @skids929 and looking forward to know your opinion.

auricgoldfinger

Dec 8, 2019

Very nice build quality.

Reactions: FDPDK and skids929

ShaneKnightEptick

Jul 27, 2019
Has there been a review/site/article that directly compares the Melco, the Etheregen, etc with something like this

which I own - interested to find out if the upgrade is worth of consideration. What are the limits? Am I on the situation where one of these switches would help? Or be better off by sticking to Ubiquiti?

thnx!

Devg

Feb 16, 2020

Very nice build indeed and congrat. I am curious what is the board on the left side of the Buffalo motherboard on the 3rd/4th picture ? Is that a FMC ? If so, any idea what is the purpose of including an FMC when the Buffalo itself can act one ?

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
I chose it based on the fact it's based on the Buffalo switch and at the time was leaning towards Melco but hated the price with upgrades. Knowing what I know about the parts used I took a chance on this one for what I consider minimal $$ compared to the others I was considering. I will let the group know how it performs for sure once I get it.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
I don’t thk anybody can believe how cheap this dual chassis switch is

l

kostas6a3

Mar 24, 2021
Maroussi Greece
Hi Guys
While waiting for the Melco S100 switch I would appreciate any advice - suggestion.
Currently the connections are:
Router - CAT6 10m. in Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X (NAS and iMac are also connected to it) - Supra CAT8 - UpTone EtherREGEN (NUC 10 i5 with Roon Rock are also connected to A side with Audioquest CAT 700 Carbon) - Neotech NEET-1008 Ethernet Silver - Melco N100.
I had previously tried, in a quick listen, the S100 before EtheREGEN with excellent results as far back as I can remember.
I have also tried 2 EtherREGEN in series but the SQ was degraded.
Has anyone else tried this combination (Melco and EtherREGEN) and with what results?
Everything will be powered by the HDplex 300W for the time being.
(Sorry for my bad English.:))

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
Hi Guys
While waiting for the Melco S100 switch I would appreciate any advice - suggestion.
Currently the connections are:
Router - CAT6 10m. in Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X (NAS and iMac are also connected to it) - Supra CAT8 - UpTone EtherREGEN (NUC 10 i5 with Roon Rock are also connected to A side with Audioquest CAT 700 Carbon) - Neotech NEET-1008 Ethernet Silver - Melco N100.
I had previously tried, in a quick listen, the S100 before EtheREGEN with excellent results as far back as I can remember.
I have also tried 2 EtherREGEN in series but the SQ was degraded.
Has anyone else tried this combination (Melco and EtherREGEN) and with what results?
Everything will be powered by the HDplex 300W for the time being.
(Sorry for my bad English.:))
I have an ER and a S100 but the one modified by Pink Faun. My setup is ER -> Melco N1z -> ADOT -> optic fibre -> S100 -> streamer.

I have Finisar 1318 as transceivers and a glass fibre optical cable from Phoenix. Optic made the sound “cleaner”.

if I where you I should think of investing just over 250 euro in two Finisar transceivers and a glass fibre optical cable from Phoenix.. Then connect ER -> optical to S100 -> N100. I am not sure if you can put the switches both before and after the N100. If so try both options before deciding even if you use ER for other equipments also.

I think ER can handle single mode. But check it up please.

Gunnar

kostas6a3

Mar 24, 2021
Maroussi Greece
I have an ER and a S100 but the one modified by Pink Faun. My setup is ER -> Melco N1z -> ADOT -> optic fibre -> S100 -> streamer.
How the "Melco N1z connection -> ADOT -> optic fiber -> S100 -> streamer" is implemented. I could not understand it.
The Phoenix fiber optics you purchased?

Gunnar

VIP/Donor
Mar 24, 2021
Grand Est France
How the "Melco N1z connection -> ADOT -> optic fiber -> S100 -> streamer" is implemented. I could not understand it.
The Phoenix fiber optics you purchased?
Sorry for the bad explanation.

We have a French company Orange as our internet supplier so we must use their router to connect to internet.

I have:
Orange router -> Ethernet supra8 (15 m) -> Netgear router (used as the hub for the house) -> Ethernet super8 (15 m) -> ER -> Ethernet Chord Epic -> Melco N1Z (music server) -> Ethernet Vertere -> ADOT (converting Ethernet to Optic) -> Phonix optic glass fibre cable -> S100 -> Ethernet Pink Faun -> Naim ND555 ( streamer with a DAC).

If you do ER -> S100 then you could use the SFP ports on both the ER and the S100 with transceivers and an optic cable. No need for an Ethernet cable between them. My recommendation.

if you go with ethernetcables then it’s better to try in which sequence you install them. My guess is that you will have both upstream the N100 with ER before the S100. But a guess. Myself I found that my S100 was best placed between my streamer and the Melco but my Naim streamer “in” use an Ethernet cable.

Searching this Forum I found that Finisar was the recommended SFP transceiver. People spoke of 1324 but out of production. I choosed 1318 single mode and I am very pleased. I also tried a 1475 but that one was at least for me too “dark”. All people on the Forum who tried glass fibre prefered that instead of the normal ones. Just be sure ER can take, which I believe, single mode.

Yes, I bought Finisar and Phoenix separately.

Gunnar

Reactions: Rocoa and kostas6a3

Superdad

Apr 22, 2015
Yes, the EtherREGEN works great with both single-mode or multi-mode transceivers/fiber cable.
And by the way, virtually ALL fiber optic cable sold these days is made with glass fibers. All single-mode for sure is glass.

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
I'll be using two Melco fiber optic boxes to isolate. Does anyone know if there is a glass cable made that will work with the Melco? I would like to get rid of the plastic fiber optic cable.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I'll be using two Melco fiber optic boxes to isolate. Does anyone know if there is a glass cable made that will work with the Melco? I would like to get rid of the plastic fiber optic cable.

I know there have been some older threads here questioning whether a fiber optic step in the digital line going to the streamer is a good thing or not. Is it now generally accepted that it is good to have fiber optic somewhere in the line prior to the streamer to isolate and to scrub noise off the the upstream ethernet cable?

Thank you.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing